Buzz'z Funky First Grow thread! Complete with photos for your enjoyment

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by BuzzLightOne, Jun 9, 2009.

1. I have much respect for you Corto. Thank you for your advice! You are a master grower and I should listen to you. I can honestly say the medium drains very nicely as it is. But there is always room for improvement. :)

2. Last night I decided to add a 42w 2700 cfl to the light mix. I set up reflective material around the set up which includes mirrors. I was thinking it might be a good idea to artificially provide the outdoor environment they will be in for the remainder of the grow.

What do you think?

Here is the revamped set up. I am doing 18/6.

Attached Files:

3. Looks great man! You'll do fine.

4. how could i miss it? your plants will take off in no time :D

5. I just don't want your plants to have troubles like mine did this year. I'm kind of obsessed with the air in the soil idea now. But you know what you're doing! Good luck and thanks for the props but I'm still not quite a master grower. I hope I get a few jars full again this year in all humility!

6. #26 BuzzLightOne, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009

The soil I chose for the garden, comes from the area I used to use to fence in the cows. The manure is old and mixed with straw and hay. It is like much like peat. Same with the horse manure. So full of worm castings, and the mix clumps in your hand, but easily falls back apart. Every year I add more material, plus some newer steer manure, etc.

When I put the plants outdoors, I am going to mix in some perlite, just to be sure.

Thanks for saying I know what I'm doing. I'm not so sure about that. lol I learned everything I know about mj growing from the blades here at good ol' Grasscity! :gc_rocks:

7. Hey there, looks like you're off to a good start. This will be my first outdoor journal that I'll be following and I think the first outdoor auto grow I've seen. My interest is piqued. This grow has success written all over it with the AGA backing you up.

Woohoo, I'm exicted to see what these autos can do under the sun!

8. heya buzz just caught up with ya here,those seedlings are looking real healthy,im sure there going to do kill outside,must be nice to grow in ya backyard ,i live right behind a freaking prison lol best place to grow they never suspect someone to be growing budd so close to them hehehe but im subscribed now cant wait to see those quicksilver in action since the one i had didnt even make it out the shell lol well got anymore update pics?:hello:

9. Hey Buzz! One thing I wanted to comment on; when it comes to reflectivity, you'd be better off using something flat white or even an emergency blanket or aluminum foil than mirrors. It has to do with some kinda physics or something, but I know that mirrors are NOT recommended for growing. Apparently they absorb more light than they reflect.

10. #30 BuzzLightOne, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009

>>>Hey KayakBubbler, thanks for stopping by. Your words are encouraging. The AGA has a great group of members, and are always very helpful. I'm happy to have you as a member. Thanks guys! :D

Destroyer1,

" heya buzz just caught up with ya here,those seedlings are looking real healthy,im sure there going to do kill outside,must be nice to grow in ya backyard ,i live right behind a freaking prison lol best place to grow they never suspect someone to be growing budd so close to them hehehe but im subscribed now cant wait to see those quicksilver in action since the one i had didnt even make it out the shell lol well got anymore update pics?":hello:

>>>I am blessed with a good place to grow, although not quite foolproof. It's nice I can keep a close eye on them. Also the deer haven't actually come right up to the house yet. My dog passed away so they are getting closer all the time. I don't hunt and love the deer, just not when they eat my landscaping. :devious: I put some old fencing around the garden to keep them out. I hope the toads and lady bugs move back in soon. I haven't noticed any bugs in the garden whatsoever though. So, as far as pests go, I'm ok for the moment.

Sorry to hear your freebie was a dud. :(

Lord Sativa,

" Hey Buzz! One thing I wanted to comment on; when it comes to reflectivity, you'd be better off using something flat white or even an emergency blanket or aluminum foil than mirrors. It has to do with some kinda physics or something, but I know that mirrors are NOT recommended for growing. Apparently they absorb more light than they reflect."

>>>Thanks for telling me. I didn't know about the mirrors. I appreciate it! :smoke:

11. #31 BuzzLightOne, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
    High, this is a photo update. I left on Friday the 12th, and got back today, Monday the 15th. They were fine when I got home. I watered them on Friday, and just now. This is the growth since 6-10-09. :)

I would also like to note the soil drains quickly. No problems so far, that I can see. The stalks look thick, no signs of stretching. The runt is doing better. The Diesel is the biggest one.

As always your input is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. ah your back we missed ya lol.so how old are your babies now?whatever age they look very healthy much better than my skunk#1,s that are about the same size turns out putting them under a 1000w light right from the get go isnt a good idea too much heat and not enough humidity make for slow growth.sorry to her about your dog .you missed alot while gone your gonna have alot of reading to get caught up,well anyway holla back stop in my grow when ya get the chance later.:p

13. Looking great Buzz! They are right where they're supposed to be. When are you moving them outside?

14. Hey Buzz, as strange as this may seem, urinating around where you grow should keep most animals away. I've heard the same for human hair. Not really "up" on the outdoor growing specifics, but make sure you check in the outdoor growing section.

15. I need to get some neem oil first. ? Something has been eating one of my pepper plants. :devious:
    Just the jalepeno, perhaps this bug likes jalepenos AND pot. :cool: Hmm, I have to get the oil then I will put them out. I'm shooting for this week-end. I am going to build the garden into a roofless greenhouse, and will do that soon.

16. I read about it on the forum too. You can find anything here. The boys camped out this past week and I had them pee around it. And my daughter has tons of hair. Plus the fence I'm going to put up. I'm all set. LOL

17. I missed you too! I thought about going on at the hotel, but my colleagues would have been able to see the screen, and they may or may not approve of my activities. lol

Thanks about my dog. :cry: Sorry to hear of your heat/humidity problem, but I know you'll fix 'em up!

As for their age, do you want from the time of conception or after the birth? Ha:smoke:

18. Cool Buzz glad to hear you're on track anyway. Can't wait to see the outdoor pics.

19. Hey Buzz, I don't know if you already invested in pesticide options but, I have used Canth's bug repellent mix and it works great.

located here ---> http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-...ellants-cantharis-ganja-guru.html#post2694938

Another good natural option are chrysanthemum based pesticides, I have one from the Ortho brand that really helped my peas, beans, and peppers. Also, so far kicking ass in mj plant defense :)

20. I can't seem to find any neem oil at the store. Those brands will be at Walmart probably. I really appreciate your alternatives. I'm going to check out Cantharis's recipe now. Thanks! :smoke: