Soccer For Football(Soccer) Fans Worldwide

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by shambala, Jun 4, 2009.

1. As far as headers messi is short as hell so thats out the window, but messi and those assists!!! Ufff!

Also wanna talk about arrogance; talk about Ibrahimovic

I generally agree with your post though ronaldo is great as is messi in his own right

2. Right now? Ronaldo for me, he's unplayable. 20 goals already, probably playing some of the best football of his career.

I'll always like Messi more as a player though, no one can do what he does, even Ronaldo. I don't think he's capable of taking it past three or four players in the way Messi can. 

3. Ready for the clasico!!

Attached Files:

4. West Ham v City match is neat.

5. Song's been a genius signing by Allardyce, wonder if they'll be able to keep him permanently

6. #13246 Dryice, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    Song played really well. Was happy to see that. I think it should be 2-0 Arsenal, but we're still ahead and actually looking pretty solid. Alexis has been given the freedom to roam, kinda like Ozil and he's fucking doing fantastic. If we can keep Alexis happy, I think he'll do amazing things for us.

7. #13247 jduce2412, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
    Need our defense to stop getting injured as well. 

On a side note I think Barca or Real would beat us 7-0 at present

Edit: This BEIN Sports commentator is fucking annoying as shit.

8. Ronaldo best in the world at the moment for me, simply unstoppable.

Side note: Why no Rakitic

9. Ronaldo definitely has improved over time, and I have definitely gained more respect for him, although I still have a huge distaste for his arrogance. Other all-time greats like Messi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Ronaldinho, Zidane, on and on, none of them have that arrogance he has. So I don't think it's an necessary quality for a great, and it really goes a long way in hampering how much I like him.

What I bolded is what I think you have completely wrong. While I agree it is a given that Ronaldo excels over Messi in headers and being physically stronger, he does not come close to Messi in terms of playmaking, imo. I know you haven't watched any La Liga this season, but Ronaldo's goal numbers can be very decieving as to his actual impact vs Messi's. Yes he has 20 goals, but at least 5 or 6 have been Penalties, and many have been simply tap-ins and being at the right place in the right time. Not to take that away, he is in the form of his life, but just saying that the goal # should not be the sole indicator of performance quality. Messi's assist stats are CRAZY this season... the way he just runs past entire 4-5 groups of players and makes a perfectly incisive pass for an assist is just unmatched. I know Madrid play a different style but Ronaldo does not come CLOSE to Messi in terms of vision and play-making ability. Look where Messi plays in Argentina. That is more of the kind of role he has been forced to transition to this season, with the weakening of the Barca midfield. 

To me, Messi is still the best overall. Madrid, AS A UNIT, are unstoppable and on fire right now, and Ronaldo is benefitting by being a very critical end product on a lethal well oiled machine. Barca is clearly not as synced and on fire as Madrid is, and Messi has much more responsibility being the figurehead and center point/orchestrater of the attack. Despite not scoring equivalent to his pre-injury prime years, he has been playing out of his mind this year and is putting up very impressive numbers as  a whole when goals + assists are taken into account. Of course I am biased, but I believe that when it is all said and done and the both of them retire, it will be almost unanimous that Messi was the more monumental, historic player of the 2. Messi is commonly held in top-3 GOAT conversations - Ronaldo isn't and never will be. 

For now - Ronaldo might be performing "better' and putting up better numbers, but everyone has seen Messi at his peak, and judging from that, no one has come near that level IMO. 73 goals and 26 assists in one season... that is what Messi was capable of before he got injured in 2013. Will he ever return near those numbers and that form? Who knows... but one thing I know is that he is still looking very good. If Barca can eventually somehow get clicking under Lucho I think he could very easily catch up with Ronaldo by end of this season, and if assists are counted, surpass him overall. Of course I'm biased but for me, it's still Messi.

10. Hala Madrid!!!!! Love betting against my Barcelona friends...just won big money!!

Pepe with a beautiful header and Benzema with a great finish. Great team win!!!

11. #13251 jduce2412, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    Ronaldinho was super arrogant. As was Henry, zizou to an extent, and 100% maradona, and Id rate em all above Xavi and iniesta and pirlo. Pretty sure Pele is a douche as well according to my Brazilian mate

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. #13252 LittleJacob, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
    Eh, I see your point. I guess we are thinking of "arrogance" differently. I don't see players like Henry or Ronaldinho arrogant in the same way... cocky perhaps, but what I dislike most about Ronaldo is the "brat-like" nature he can have, like the one apparent today when he was rolling on the ground when he thought he had a penalty from Busquets. I don't know.. I do see how a lot of all time greats do have that cockiness you are talking about... and Pele really is a douche, so there is probably some validity in that. But one thing can't be argued there... Messi has VERY little... that's another thing I feel sets him apart. He's no perfect angel saint that's for sure, but I and many people feel that the way he carries himself just adds to his respect. (Though it doesnt change anything when talking strictly about who was the better PLAYER. but still)

13. Magesterial performance from tot' num today. Looking forward to the clash of the egos (van gaal v mourinho 🐧)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

14. Thinking 1-0 to Chelsea today. No Costa/Remy means Drogba up front, and he cant play a full 90. Mou likes to shut things down against the big clubs, and I could see Schurrle replacing Drogba in the 2nd half like Mou has done before.

BTW Spurs suck.

15. Lol at Mourinho

16. Willian played a good game

17. Couldn't pick who to support if my life depended  on it, but pretty happy it was a draw.

18. #13259 dabKling, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2014
    I wish they could have both lost.

With more injuries.

And red cards.

19. Could see that draw coming..1-0 up at old trafford, with van persie, di maria, Mata all on the pitch, and mourinho settles for sitting on a 1-0 lead for nearly half the game. It's way too much time. They easily could have gone for a second at that time in the game.