Drying Buds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by taitpeter, May 10, 2004.

1. Drying and curing are two different things.

Read THIS on harvesting, drying, curing.

Curing is done in air tight containers that are opened once or twice a day for at least two weeks after drying.

Gg

2. i plan on using this method in the oven.. cotton u gotta tell me more about it...

3. NOBODY USE AN OVEN TO DRY WEED! it doesnt matter if its on a low setting it will evaporate all if not most of the thc heres how to make a cheap bud dryer
    heres what you will need:
    rubbermaid container [or another sealed box]
    screen
    small fan
    dryer sheets with a paper towel tube [ activated carbon is better]

get your rubbermaid bin and cut a whole for a small fan [like a computer fan] put fan in place and seal around the fan with ducttape [make sure the fan is blowing out, not taking in air[into the box]. if your using computer fans you can use a 12v dc transformer to power them now attach your paper towel tube with like 10 dryer shets in it to the fan. now put a sceen for the buds to go on [put the fan under the screen]
    cut a hole about a quarter the size of the fan whole into the lid.
    this way it wont smell and it wont take long.
    p.s. i dont mean to be a dick about the oven thing but i dont want to see bud wasted :smoke:

4. i'm pretty sure if we eat what comes out of the oven we can smoke what comes out of the oven.
    and i have dried weed in the oven b4 and you COULDN'T tell the difference in potency. people on here need to stop giving advice off of assumptions. the trick is to set it on the lowest setting and use a wooden dowel or something like it to keep the oven door cracked, keep adjusting the size of the crack until you get your desired temperature(around 120-140).

5. God damn, growing pot is probably the hardest thing ever to do well when you live with people who are opposed to it. I'm going to have to dry my buds hanging in trees in the very, very back shithole of the place I live in. At least curing won't be too much of a problem, jars being involved.

6. you can use an old trailer with a window open with a fan to ensure no mold. the window open may be enough fresh air. have something over the window to have it dark. you culd use a tent outside too.

7. I think im going to use the rubbermaid idea with the fan. sound slike a pretty good idea. I bet the laundry towel things will take out half the smell...and i will put it in a unfinished closet in my house so my rents wont fine it...

Or ill drive to my cabin and do it there.. humm i guess i will hit that hump in about a month

8. since im doing a small i-just-want-bud outside grow and i have been thinking on how im gonna dry to, drying in house is not an option.

I decided that since im planning to harvest when winter is starting (so its gonna be cool) im going to take a cardboard box and punch a bunch of holes in 2 opposite sides then put bug netting over them then just put the box in the woods somewhere for a week, hang the buds in there. it will be cool, but not perfectly dark, only exposed to the sun a little. i think ittle work out

9. yo what if u stuck em in a paper grocery bag and then set em over a vent thats covered up by like ur bed or something and set someair freshener next to it?

10. Go to your cabin if that's an option...i have worked for HUGE outdoor operations and they would keep the wood stove ripping the whole time and we would trim and it would only need to hang for 3-4 days before curing...

For the randomstoner....this will work if your goal is to make your room and the rest of the house smell like fresh herb and air freshner....

You can buy Ionizer in a can or for a pretty price buy a Ionizer maker (negative charged Ions bind to odor molecules and they then fall to the ground) ...this will work much better than air freshner but will not totally remove the smell of fresh herb

11. set up a carbon filter system in your closet and set a tray of loose activated carbon in there too with a fan blowing over it... should cut down on the smell and circulate some air quite a bit

throw in an air purifier or something and you shouldn't have to worry... otherwise go buy a cheap tent in an army surplus store, set it up somewhere secluded where no one will bother it (buy a camo one or something too) and take care of business in there

12. what about hanging on a string in a dresser drawer with 2 small fans on both sides?

13. Dark is not at all necessary. Mine dry in a wooden shed - the environment is controlled by propping the door open to allow air circulation - so it is shaded but not dark.
    I find that careful curing IS more important, it is easy to get mould at this point. Containers MUST be opened daily to allow moisture to evaporate.
    And NEVER try to use any kind of oven. You will RUIN your crop.
    Read my link on Cutting to Curing (excellent post by nugglord).

14. Yep! Me too. Although, since I regenerate, I just clip the bud and use old, large manila envelopes, in the dark and cool.

15. As far as i know THC starts to die at 120*F. when i make THC butter i never let it over 90*. slow slow process and it comes out way stronger.

i would rather hang all my shit in my jeep maybe with a car cover so no one can see in. with the windows cracked in this hot ass place they will be crispy in a day or 2 if not faster

Why cant you hang them where you were growing??? they are more reaky while budding then while drying... until you cure them they will take on a veg smell

16. ok this is my idea....Me and my friend have an old shed we hang out in sometimes after we get done hunting or riding our atvs. In the shed there is an old fridge that doesnt work too well so the temps are prolly a lil above that of a normal working fridge. I was thinkgin about hanging my buds inside of the fridge. Think that will work? I could also unplug the fridge and run a fan inside of it if that would be better.

17. To dry them ?? Sorry, I don´t follow why you think hanging them in a fridge will help them dry.

18. Alot of different methods, all I do is rip the plants out of the ground leaving as much roots as I can, put a bag on the bottom for the roots to sit in, and use a zip tie and make sure no excess dirt hits the plants and hang em, 4 to 7 days they should be dry enough that the stalks will snap. Put them in jar and let them cure.

19. Dark and cool isnt that whats up?

20. i seen people dry there buds in ovens and i have personally dried a couple nuggs in the microwave at 7 eleven believe it or not!but it surely stinks as well though! so why dont you just hang them in the shed do other people go in there or even near there?