Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why solar hits are amazing...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by recondite, May 17, 2009.

1. this thread is full of awesomeness, thanks op

2. #22 poke'smot, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
    awsome thread lol, non natural ideas may work as well, a DIY laser, a ceramic heating element, or maybey a special lens to light it off your hps :) lol

I know it makes a diff cause ive lighted a cig this way, it acculy tasted worse but thats my marlboros for ya.

also to try i just now took a bong rip from my regualr soidering iron, used a new tip with no flux or low temp metal, you dont even need to touch it to the green once it heats up.

3. wow, I feel you. I heared about it a long time ago. but today it was sunny and I took some buibbler rips from my magnifying glass

4. i've been able to do it for the past couple weeks as well. bubbler rips on my bed with the blind slighly open :wave:

make sure you wear sunglasses unless you like spots and possibly retina damage

is there an alternate light source though? like a sun lamp? because I can't think of a better way to light weed than light itself, but the sun isn't so common around here.

5. Ive known about solar hits but never thought anything of them until this thread. Im about to hit up walgreens for a magnifying glass. hopefully its sunny tomorrow
    +rep for the motivation:cool:

6. Yes. Definitely recommend a pair of sunglasses.

Unfortunately I don't think that any common light bulb is going to produce enough light energy to burn things. Even if you did have a bulb that was intense enough, the proximity to the bulb would probably be an issue.

If you try projecting a household light source--like a ceiling lamp--onto a flat surface (sheet of paper works well), you can create a very clear, inverted image of the light, but it will be rather too large to focus into the small pinpoint of light that you need for a solar hit. That means that if you could find a luminous enough light, you would have to place it far enough away from your magnifying glass to focus it into a small pinpoint. I'm not certain, but I think this distance might have a negative impact on the intensity of the light and thus its capability to produce enough heat for combustion.

The best way to know for sure though is to test it... any growers out there with 1000W HID lights ever try hitting a bowl with your grow lights? I believe a 1000W HPS light produces between 100,000 and 140,000 or so lumens, which is comparable to sunlight at the Earth's surface.

7. yea solar hits are pretty fun, but when im too high i cant seem to ever focus the beam finely enough to burn the weed. so usually i stick to the hakko lol

8. This sounds pretty cool, def gonna try it out. but wouldnt it be kinda the same as a cherry hit?

9. what happens when its dark out?... ill stick to a bic

10. I think you missed the point.

11. I've never actually heard of this, but now I want to try!

12. Thank youfor sharing! Ijustwent outsidefor twocones undera 2.5power glass and all i cansay isfuck..

Ivebeen smokingalmost 20yrs and cant believe ive never tried this, its a must try, makes me want to get a vaporizer almost, think ill just pray for sunny days. Big Thumbs Up!

13. Props to the op. Clever thread. I really want to try this but I think my vape would get jealous.

14. damn I wish I woulda seen this thread earlier today.

15. Is a 4x glass OK? That's the best I could find around here. Went to Target (didn't have any), Jewel (had a couple but didn't state the magnification) and Walmart (only had one type, 4x)

16. Yes mate 4X will work great, just make sure there is no light cloud you really need direct sunlight.

17. Beeline FTW. I've always wanted to start doing solar hits or use a hakko/glass rod, but the hassle of it stopped me. Then I bought my first roll of Beeline and never looked back. Holy taste, Batman! :smoking:

18. This thread is useless without pics! Here's my brother taking an indoor solar rip...

[​IMG]

19. It is really awesome! Been doing it today and the other day, it's very cool.

Efficient, fun, and you don't burn the cached crap.

Can be annoying however because when I was high, it took me a good number of tried to allign the beam of light with the bowl

20. well i dont have a magnifying glass, but its like 100 degrees out, you think if i just hold my pipe to my lips when its really hot out i can get a hit? :rolleyes:

this does sound pretty cool though, my friends would bitch about how long it takes, but if its my weed i will jsut tell them to shut the fuck up.