Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Legal to smoke in public? (California)

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by purple4, May 17, 2009.

1. I read some of californias medical laws, and it does not say anywhere (i think) that you cannot use it in public, but there could be other conflicting laws or w/e, just wondering if i can go outside smoking a joint can i get in trouble? what kind of ticket would it be?

2. It's common sense dude.
    No
    You can walk in your backyard and smoke, sure, but not out in public.

3. 11362.79. Nothing in this article shall authorize a qualified
    patient or person with an identification card to engage in the
    smoking of medical marijuana under any of the following
    circumstances:
    (a) In any place where smoking is prohibited by law.
    (b) In or within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school, recreation
    center, or youth center, unless the medical use occurs within a
    residence.
    (c) On a schoolbus.
    (d) While in a motor vehicle that is being operated.
    (e) While operating a boat. { Back To Top }

So, per state law it is NOT illegal to medicate anywhere smoking is allowed that is not within 1000 feet of a school, recreation center, or youth center, or on a schoolbus, or in a motor vehicle, or in a boat.

However, it is perfectly legal to smoke in a balloon or a hang-glider or a glider.

I'm not sure whether a private plane is considered a "motor-vehicle" or not...

...but you most definitely can get in trouble for medicating in public, legal or not. I have.

4. So medical marijuana patients are supposed to sit home and watch Jerry Springer all day? And night?

5. I'm sure smoking in a private plane would be a DUI just like with a car.

6. Who's gonna write the ticket?

7. No they consume their cannabis in private and go about their business. If they're getting high in public they are stupid and taking unnecessary risks. We are lucky enough to have medical marijuana, we don't need to flaunt it around.

8. What a judgemental ...

... the nature of my condition makes eating it impracticle. You can't titer your dose eating it, it costs several times as much, it takes at least a half hour to take effect. And I'm diabetic.

And I tried eating it for a couple of weeks and after that the very thought of another brownie makes me gag.

9. Yes obviously that would be hard to catch, it being a private plane, but for the sake of the argument lets pretend a cop walks up after the plane lands....probable DUI.

10. WTF are you talking about? Where did I say eat? I said consume...you can consume weed by smoking it.

con⋅sume

[​IMG] /kənˈsum/ [​IMG] Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuh[​IMG]n-soom] [​IMG] Show IPA verb, -sumed, -sum⋅ing. –verb (used with object) 1. to destroy or expend by use; use up. 2. to eat or drink up; devour. 3. to destroy, as by decomposition or burning: Fire consumed the forest. 4. to spend (money, time, etc.) wastefully. 5. to absorb; engross: consumed with curiosity.
    –verb (used without object)

Read #1

11. And when am I supposed to buy groceries, or go to the doctor, or go out to eat, or to a movie?

Or sit through a city council meeting (horrors!)?

12. Dude are you kidding me? Go in a bathroom and use a portable vaporizer. Jesus christ man.

You DON'T have to smoke all day every day. Cannabis should provide you with relief for 3 hours, even if the 'high' is mostly worn off.

Pop a pill, it's what the rest of the world does. Just because you have the luxury of smoking your medication, doesn't mean you can toke up in public.

ESPECIALLY with the gray area it's in now, it's probably one of the most controversial topics...

13. Two words: glycerine tincture.

You're making an issue out of nothing. A tincture is easy to titrate the dosage, acts faster than an edible, and is discrete.

14. If you actually have a medical card, your doctor would of told you not to smoke in public, while driving, and smoke out other people...

15. Who said you had to follow the law?

Buying, selling and using are all illegal in most of the country yet millions of us still do it.

16. I still don't see the issue when people can use a discrete portable vaporizer or a tincture.

Smoke, any smoke, is less than good for the lungs. Most of the med patients I know prefer to eat or vape for that reason.

17. So what kind of ticket would i get???????????
    Intoxicated in public? or what...if its illegal then what would they charge me for. smoking cigs in public is legal, so marijuana should be in those same places, right? just not near a school, children, ...

18. I see it more as a courtesy issue. Even when I smoked cigarettes (quit years ago thankfully) I didn't smoke them around non-smokers. It's just rude to expose people to smoke that they don't want.

19. #19 palmspringsbum, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2009
    Got it, only Marc Emery gets to smoke in public.

Everyone else is supposed to lie and hide. And that goes double for the people this movement is supposed to be all about, the sick.

20. Actually, cannabis smoke has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer.

People who SMOKE cannabis are less likely to get cancer, any cancer, than people who DO NOT SMOKE ANYTHING.