How to escape this society?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by HimuraX, May 14, 2009.

1. Coming from someone that used to believe the same concepts, I thought to myself "I have two options.."

1. I can move to a deserted island/country and live off the land (which sounds fun for about a month to me tbh).

2. I can control my way of thinking to not look at society quite that way and just look for the positives in our way of living.

Sure, life isn't going to be perfect here in Society.. It won't be anywhere. But it's all about how you look and think about things that determine your lifestyle.

2. Yoooo what helps me is i look at society as a game. a crazy game lol, that is very entertaining. sure morals don't always come into play. but thats where the indivdual comes in. think bout how much you got to offer other people if your feeling good about yourself. I've too thought about just leaving everything behind, but i havent got the balls to do that yet, lol. so ima chill. try to make ppl see the posititve; the humor in all of this, and fuck it, be doing that til the grave. Or until we have a major revolution and i die killing a corporate whore or something.

3. This. Wherever you go, we are all somewhat connected. Somehow, someway, they will find you. And "they" is, I presume, who you are trying to escape from.

4. #44 Thani, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2013
    You do know Incans and Aztecs practiced human sacrifice, which also included that of women and children?

As for religion, it does make people better morally, and I am saying this on the grounds that it is so, only when the practicant's knowledge ellicits him to a proper understanding, in lieu to that pertaining to the works of authorative theologians, historians, and even that of religious figures. Christians, who never read the Bible don't qualify here, for example, nor those whose belief is conditioned; if they have no idea what their religion is about or i is not being an active choice. However, you must not confuse religion with the Church.

Religion=!Church=Organised religion

...the Crusades, the Inquisition, the witch hunts, are all products of man's manipulation of religion. It has been a method of control but that's not what it is inherently

5. I'm confused... I read this entire thread and it seems you are ignorant of which you speak. Not to mention you're being incredibly hypocritical by making the generalization that everyone on this forum has been "calling out the masses for being stupid and selfish and ignorant". That's quite ignorant of yourself.

The aim of philosophy is to explore social dilemmas and, more or less, to understand humans psychologically. One of the things we must realize is that (whether you like it or not) much of society is corrupt, ignorant, and selfish. Humans are raised this way since birth oftentimes, and for many a realization such as this is truly an awakening.

So stop being so negative, and instead try to contribute something worth anyone's time.

6. Save up and buy a tiny house! I sure would if I wasn't married with a baby, maybe when I'm old and gray haha

7. It was hardly an unfair generalization seeing as how when I made that post there were several other threads talking about the exact same thing on the same page. Not to mention, the idea that society is corrupt blah blah blah is an ever popular topic of discussion on this forum; almost to the point where it becomes overbearing. So I may have generalized a bit, but so what--sue me.

And philosophy has many different branches (and psychology is often seen as it's own separate field) so grouping philosophy all into one category is pretty narrow-minded.

Also, I'm not denying that society has it's problems. But I am saying that these kinds discussions are getting boring. Pointing out society's corruption is about as profound as pointing to the sky and calling it blue, it's plainly obvious to everyone what's going on so if you can all please stop acting like it's such a revelation that'd be great.

I'm sick of having to listen to these people talk and talk and talk about how ignorant and materialistic everyone is how the government is lying and just never shutting up. And the thing that really bothers me is how I don't see anyone doing anything about it. I know some people do somethings, but all of the people I've met personally (and I live in the middle of a city with 4 universities so I see a good number of the oh-so socially conscious idealists) pretty much just sit around, smoke weed and stick their "enlightened" noses up at everyone. And forgive me for saying this, but I get that exact same impression from all of these threads on this site.

8. #48 LittleJacob, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
    Um do you miss all of the posts about people talking about planning on living off the grid, spreading ideas about alternate ways of living and spreading awareness to others about wanting to change things? Because that's really all one can do... not until a critical mass of people stop being complacent and start bringing about change will a change come. Since the day of reaching sufficient critical mass may potentially never come (although I think it will), the best idea for now is to find alternate ways of living, and I see plenty of discussion about that.

9. Those are precisely the posts I'm talking about; people talking shit and pointing fingers and acting as if they got a clue.

10. Start your own self sufficient system with those around you

11. #51 LittleJacob, Feb 18, 2013
    No, that is people looking for an alternative to the corruption and perceived unsatisfactoriness of this society and looking for solutions for new ways. You clearly have a very negative viewpoint on all of this, very cynical. You are happy with the way things are? You wouldn't like to see things change for the better? Fine, that's your prerogative. I'm not going to say that you're not awake or that you're a sheep. You simply won't be contributing to anything to a new and potentially better world/way of life.

Your attitude is very sweeping and generalizing. Not everyone who has a progressive mindset and clearly sees the many flaws in our corrupt society looks down on those who don't, or sees themselves as better. Some may, but not all. We're just trying to do our part to usher in a better way of life for living on this planet. Don't mind us. Seems the one with the attitude of superiority is you. "I'm so sick of all these people that see how fucked up the world is and want to make it better. Bunch of whiny brats, you're not better than us, sit down." Is kind of the vibe I'm getting here.

That is exactly the solution as I see it. Disconnecting from the dominant establishment and starting from the ground up, self-sufficient and non-reliant on the system for anything. Trying to fight the system will only lead to chaos and even further violations of freedom. The solution is peaceful noncooperation and self-sufficiency, in my view. That's one way.

The current dominant paradigm just has so many flaws and problems that I see it as virtually impossible to get any real change done on the inside, especially since it is being controlled and enforced by those select few on top in power, and those select few do not answer to the wishes of the public at all.

12. I love this thread, with all my heart.

13. is it a coincidence more and more of these threads are being made? Hmm..

14. Their perceived unsatisfactoriness of society? Oh, please. Do you actually think most or even half of these people honestly feel this way? A good portion of them can be accurately reduced to a cultural stereotype and will probably ditch these philosophies, get a job and become just another "cog in the machine". It's easy to see; most of these comments are about as insightful as the lyrics to a lousy Rise Against song. It's no wonder they never move passed sitting behind a computer screen and spout cynical sentiments about society--they don't really care about any of it. The so-called progressive-minded people I've met cared a lot more about maintaining their alternative aesthetic and getting high than anything else. (I don't care if this comes off as a generalization; it's a fairly accurate one.)

15. #55 ytfghmjb, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    you are waiting on everyone else, everyone else is waiting on you

16. Who wants to start a colony with me? :D

17. Do you think that this society will ever let another smaller society take off completely leaving it alone? They butt their noses into everything, because thats how insecure they are. Everyone is scared of everything, FEAR is actually runnin shit. Ya know? I think what we have to do is yes, detach, create, with no help from the 'other guys'. It is possible. But it wouldn't go over easily.

18. #58 LittleJacob, Feb 18, 2013

That's fine. I'm not going to argue with what you've experienced. I'm just going to say that not everyone fits that description, in fact I would say most do not. For many of us we feel this at our core and really are actively working in some way or another to move forward and bring about positive change rather than sit around complacent with how things are.

Exactly. Out of their fear, they will try to use control to stop it from happening. The government and those in power will probably try to retain their monopoly using force and violence, and that is when things could get ugly. Which is sad because it's nothing on the fault of the people trying to be independent and live in freedom, and EVERYTHING to do with the aggressiveness and oppressiveness of the system.

19. We can focus on the need to change things, see what's wrong, resist what is. Or we can focus on what's right, what works, stop resisting the need to change things that aren't working and start focussing on the things that do and make them better. Better for you as you'll feel differently, better for us as you'll realise something about yourself, and that will change things from the inside out. We cannot work from the outside in. There is nothing outside other than what you believe is there.

20. I believe this is true to a large extent, but i dont believe that this addresses the issue 100%.

I agree that cultivating love, truth, brotherhood, inner peace and other such virtues and abolishing the greed and hatred and selfishness within is ultimately the best thing we can do for he world. By doing such we add to the overall amount of peace and happiness and compassion in the world and reduce the overall amount of suffering and misery.

However, these inner changes must eventually translate to outer changes. You can say that the outer world is all a reflection of the inner world all you want, but personal enlightenment alone is not enough to put forces into motion in ending world hunger or stopping the economy from heading off the cliff. The internal transformation must eventually manifest into outward action.

We could all find peace right now and be happy every single day, and we should, but thats not going to stop massive socioeconomic forces from continuing down there path eventually leading to destruction and chaos. The current way of life of modern civilisation IS Unsustainable and will eventually use up all is resources. The economic system very well likely WILL crash eventially, leaving mill ions to struggle just to get meals.

I dont see how JUST inner change alone is enough to help us avoid these inevitable consequences and move to something better. Sure the change must START from within but i velieve it must eventually move outwars