Beginners Guide To Get You Started In Growing Cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Guides' started by jcj77d, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Hope this is appropriate place for my first post.
    My plan for first grow is to germinate single seeds under 30W cfl.
    When seedling has 3 real leaves move to 6" pot.
    Outside during day and harden until pots can be left out.
    Repeat until frost likely in Southern UK.
    Grateful for all comments.

2. Sounds like a plan, what kind of soil are you using?

3. Slugs and snails not good for seedlings. I remember we tried the beer method one time for slugs and snails, we put it out and 2 minutes later the dog was drinking it.

4. Start out in the shade and slowly work them out into full sun.

5. hi all ugreen people mckinnonblair here just an old guy trying to learn what goes on cant figure this computer could use a lot of help dont know if i am getting through to any one need amenter talk to all i guess email mckinnonblair6@gmail.com have a great one hope to hear from 1 and all

6. Well you managed to get a few posts up on the forum so if you got any questions just ask here or start a new thread, its not hard.

7. painti your shop light flat white instead of the shiny white they come in any advantage also that thing about foil tape what gives mckinnon blair 215 am here thanka all if you rather use my e mail by all meansmc kinnonblair6@gmail.com later

8. John Innes #1 & vermiculite 3:1.
    Thanks for your interest.

Just sown test pots of tomato & lettuce seed to check set up working ok.

9. 2 questions in 1 here... I buy teens cause I have no veg..is it safe and ok when soon as the teens are droped off at my place to transplant them out of the 2gal pots they come in and put them into 5gal pots and throw them rite into flowering??? And bluntly is it ok to transplant during flowering Stage anytime??

10. Apologises but am am having trouble understanding your post.
    No idea what you mean by a "teen".
    This is my first grow and am hoping that more experienced growers can warn me if my planned grow is going astray.
    Perhaps you could clarify your post for me.

11. [quote name='"redcat3579"']
    Apologises but am am having trouble understanding your post.
    No idea what you mean by a "teen".
    This is my first grow and am hoping that more experienced growers can warn me if my planned grow is going astray.
    Perhaps you could clarify your post for me.[/quote]

Teen is a plant that's already been veged...goes cloan in veg then when u 1st put it into flowering its a teenager as in its been grown for me all I do is get the plant then put it rite into flowering

12. I doubt that terminology is useful, because a 20 year old plant's clone could be just entering veg, a toddler by your definition, but almost legal to go to the bars by our society's one...

13. Thanks for clarifying. Wish I had a a teen producer. I've already wasted some seed by poor practise when germinating so am being very cautious at all stages. Flower pot sizes are a little confusing. Are they US or Imperial gallons. The ones I find are usually sized by their maximum diameter Imp or metric.
    As "weed" is a commonly used term I hoped that cultivation would be fairly simple. It appears to be a little more complicated.
    Thanks again for your help.

14. What in the hell is wrong with her?

Attached Files:

15. I have some questions

I'm in theUK btw .

1. is it expensive to run fans/exhaust fans for 3, 4 months ? do they have to run all day ?

2.If I send off for seeds how do I buy them if I don't want to use a credit card ?

3. what are the best seeds for a novice to start with ? I'd like something that has a better chance of surviving , and less smelly .

16. Yes, and put a 10 foot thick perimeter of salt around the pot, attach some automated turrets, and use neem oil to prevent spider mites

17. Hey guys I just recieved my Northern Lights 5 seeds in the mail. I live in eastern Canada and was wondering if it's too late to germ them and put them outside. I know it's only like 3-4 weeks before flower, I'm just wondering if that is enough time to get any type of half decent yield?

18. Never get seeds. Sent money registered - they got money but I never got seeds. They said too bad, customs.
    Another bank I sent money regular mail - they won't even answer my emails.
    Although my orders are small so I don't loose much, this is gettin to be a drag.
    Anyone had this experience? How did you solve it. I didn't mention what banks purposely.
    one in Amsterdam, one in Canada. I'm on East coast new england USA.

19. I think you could have gone a little more in depth in some areas. I know this is a guide on HOW to grow, but you didnt explain the reasons for why you have to do these things. Ill post what i know, that you left out. (not trying to dis you or anything, just trying to add some more info in there.)

1. Humidity affects the cannabis plant later in the growth of the plant. When its younger higher humidity is good for it, but before it starts to flower you need to make sure the humidity is much lower for one simple reason. The resin that is produced is actually a sort of survival thing for the plant, it produces resin to make sure the foliage does not dry out. Higher humidity during the flowering stage will cause the plant to produce less resin because it does not need it as much to protect its moisture. Also, the lower the humidity, the easier it is to evaporate excess moisture that will prevent your plant from producing the maximum amount of resin possible.

2. Lighting cycles. The flowering time of you plant directly correlates to how much light it gets (im assuming this is indoors of course) The longer the dark time the plant gets, the faster it will begin to flower. The shorter the dark time it gets, the longer it will take to flower. So you figure it this way. 16 hours of dark time (8 hours of light)Will cause your plant to begin the flowering cycle after 2-2.5 months. 12hours of dark time (12 hours of light) It will begin the flowering cycle 3-3.5 months. 8 hours of dark time (16 hours of light) will cause the plant to begin the flowering cycle after 4-5 months. The reason for this is that the more light the plants get, the faster it will grow, and the faster it grows, the more nutrients it takes to focus on growing taller, and the stem growing thicker.

3. The reason for a fan is that most people who start growing without any sort of advice, do not use one, and this usually causes the plants stem to be thinner and more brittle, in most cases the stem snaps from the weight of the bud. The fan helps by bringing in a unnatural weather system of sorts. By applying wind (air movement from the fan) It puts a small amount of stress on the plants stem. (it's best to use a fan as soon as the plant begins to sprout.) By putting stress on the stem, the plants natural defenses against weather come into play by thickening the stem and making it more fleshy, And less rigid. A fan also helps by providing fresh co2 for the plant to use.

4. Fertilizing. There are a couple of fertilizers out there that cannabis growers have been using for years. my personal favorite is eco-grow. Now you have to be extremely careful with fertilizer because it can make the soil more acidic. The best way to get around this is to buy a pre-fertilized sterile soil. The soil usually has enough fertilizer in it to feed the plant for 3 weeks or so. After that, you will have to introduce eco-grow (or whatever fertilizer you decide to use) very slowly. Using small concentrations at first and working your way up. Cannabis plants seem to be able to handle as much fertilizer as your willing to give them, provided you work your way up to that amount slowly. As soon as your plant starts to produce leaves, you can stop putting fert. in the soil and start leaf-feeding. You dont have to, but it is easier and cleaner. mix the amount of fertilizer that you have deemed safe for the plant with luke-warm to room temperature distilled water. (never use anything besides distilled water for your plants!!!! you have no idea what chemicals are in the other waters Most tap water has chlorine and fluoride and lead in it.) Put this mixture into a spray bottle and set to mist. spray only on the leaves or the stem and make sure your fan is on to evaporate excess water. (the whole resin thing we talked about earlier.)

5. Temp. you were close on the temp for the plant, i asked a personal friend of mine who has been growing cannabis for nearly 15 years about it and he said the optimum temp would be 67-71 degrees during light time, with a good 10-14 degree drop during dark time. He also said that an oscillating Multi-temp heating system (Heating and cooling. I have one at work that the degrees are 50-55-60-65-70-75-80-85-max. Only cost about 40$) would be perfect if you were growing in something like a closet.

6. You said nothing about pruning your plants, or how this could benefit you.
    Pruning is not necessary, But will help maximize your yield, and also provide you with more plants if you wish :) (called cloning) To prune you basically cut the top off the plant where two stems are fighting each other (didnt know how else to explain it. Where the plant joints the final time into not one, but two branches.) And that's it! This will enable your plant to grow taller. Now if you want to clone, you take the top you cut off, and put it in water until it starts rooting (roots will come out from where you cut.) Repeat the procedure you used for the other plant (soil and watering and fertilizing and such.) And now you have a second plant.

7. On re-potting the plant.
    Re-potting your cannabis plant after the first 3 weeks is not a good idea. This can cause the plant to go into shock, and will stunt its growth, Or slow its flowering. It is best to figure out how big the plant will be when fully mature (you can figure this by the strain, the light time its getting, and the amount of fertilizer you are using.) and use a pot that would match that size, as soon as you first start growing. (make sure your pot is sterile, or you could get an infestation.)

8. Sterilization.
    I talked about sterilization a little bit, but i didnt explain much.
    Sterilization is very important so that you dont get parasites on the plant.
    The major rules of thumb are.
    :1. Use a sterile pot, especially if it was used for another plant. (i found rubbing alcohol works well for this.)
    :2. Use sterile soil. If your not sure if you soil is sterile, Put it on a baking sheet, mist it with water until damp, And put it in your oven for an hour at around 250 degrees. I suggest you leave the house as the soil will STINK. The reason for sterile soil is the same as the pots and water. You do not want parasites.
    :3. ONLY USE DISTILLED WATER!!! i cannot stress this enough. You have no idea what chemicals or parasites are in other waters. Distilled water is pure and sterile. How do i know this? We used distilled water in chemistry to wash test tubes so there would be no unwanted chemical reaction with deadly consequences. (sodium hydroxide dust mixed with tap water? no thank you.)
    :4. Make sure pets are not in the grow room at any time, they carry microscopic and other types of parasites that will contaminate your plant.

As i said before i am not trying to flaunt my knowledge and show you up, im just trying to add some more stuff to your guide. :)