Beginners Guide To Get You Started In Growing Cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana Growing Guides' started by jcj77d, Apr 30, 2009.

1. (From checking out strain details from seedbanks, etc)
    When strain details say that some phenotypes of some particular strains, there's a chance of getting a CBD rich medical chemotype.

Are there ways of finding out if a plant chemotype has CBD?
    Although CBD is non-psychoactive, What are the signs to look for?
    Is there SOME test, or effect to determine? (ex: for breeding purposes)

2. I eventually want to do my own strain breeding.
    From reading seedbank pages, keywords like "stabilizing" comes up.

What issues are expected from breeding?

What are the methods of collecting & preserving pollen?

3. Okay I am a new user and wanted to start a new topic about this idea, but because I am a novice on this website I guess I cannot start a new topic. Anyone who responds I am grateful for the time you took to help me. I have a little, little marijuana plant that is no more than 5 inches tall, full flowering. The bottom parts of the plants is getting some brown hairs and I am not sure, is it time to harvest or is it mold? Pests? I do not even know how much longer to let this little girl keep growing, as she is only about 5 inches. Here are pictures

View attachment 7394

How much longer should I let her grow? Any suggestions for plants like this? I started all my plants from seed and this was the slow one to start ... well now it is full on budding at 5 inches while my other plants are just beginning to bud, but all at least 2 ft tall.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #2504 capt.murphy, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2015

Get a jewelers loop or something to magnify the trichomes and then you will know. Cloudy/amber=done while clear trichs are still growing and useless. You'll have to research on your own because different %'s make for different highs. Hairs will turn brown if they get anything from a spec of dust to your hand on them so aren't very accurate. Have fun brotato!!

Edit: plants take about 8 to 12 weeks on average to flower so this might give you a slight timeframe

• Like Like x 2
  5. If your in a legal state you can send it to a lab or buy clones that are gauranteed. Otherwise I saw something like 25% will be high CBD low THC 50% will be even and 25% will be high THC low CBD but idk how to test at home for this

6. Go to advanced growing techniques and theres a breeder forum there that'll answer any questions you have

7. I eventually want to do my own strain breeding.
    From reading seedbank pages, keywords like "stabilizing" comes up.

What issues are expected from breeding?

What are the methods of collecting & preserving pollen?

8. I have found that different stains like different temperatures. I get my best yield out of my Watermelon plant at around 78 F and my Blueberry Kush yields best at 82 F at normal C02 levels. These temperatures do change depending on the relative humidity of the indoor garden.

9. #2510 buckethead129, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2015
    so listen, iv scrapped my CFL tent, also sold my 145w LED ufo light, used outdoor this season w my sativa dom (feminized).. but do you know what is vegging an indica I got (there were 2- one was male) the best out of any CFL, or LED or T5 iv tried? a west facing deep window sill covered by 2 blinds that basically keep it a little green house.. where I am gets 12hrs n 9 mins of sunlight as of today.. so this experiment will be essentially a seed to flower type deal.. it really seems to be liking that window sill... its standing roughly 10 to 12 inches already, planted in a biodegradable seed starter, transplanted to a gallon pot.. the sill can easily hold a 3 gallon pot im sure, like I said, with the blinds covering it, its some what deep. its an area never seen by general public either, EVER.. is it possible I could actually bloom one LST'd girl in that window sill? I think I am actually.. lol , cuz its working, years of messing w low intensity discharge bulbs (CFLs, LEDs) couldn't afford venting for HPS or MH.. have not given me half the results iv seen from a west facing window.. so far.. should know sex for sure by end of week.. LSTd it 2 days ago, and fimmed the other night... im almost positive its gna be a girl, preflowers you jus start to know eventually. also by how they grow,, every male I EVER had grew much faster n more robust in a quicker period of time.. plus, on the first one, I could see "grapes" forming already, I told you, im essentially putting right into flower..
    p.s- my outdoor lstd, fimmed,sativa dom is ready for chop about oct 1st when I finish my flush of just distilled water..[​IMG] she was jus a lil teeny tiny sprout, just above the dirt on 3/24/2015 today being 9/21/2015, you can see her rich and milky trichomes, her swelling calyxes, her leaves turning a bit "whiter" each day, signaling its time for me big boy! lol im very proud of myself, I treated that girl like gold, fixed a ph problem, fixed a bug problem, avoided a humidity problem.. :) I dont care how dank the nugs are, the journey beats the hell outta the destination, especially when you get to watch something as beautiful as the maturation of the female cannabis plant :)

10. yes yes yes.. nutrients of the NPK variety n micro nutes the plant uses.. while vegging, feed w a higher nitrogen level fert.e.g-15-5-5. Fox farms has good product.. when u start blooming. Youll need a fert higher in P n K very low in N. e.g-2-15-10. Do what works for u. N remember, u can always add nutes n water. Never can u take it out :) I used a generic 15-25-15 from Wal-Mart for veg..it also got Fox Farms Big Bloom towards the end of veg too. Then jus all Big Bloom every other watering..till couple days ago, gave her a half gallon of distilled water, flush has begun :)

11. It's been a long time since I've been on here and not sure if this is the right place for this question.

I'm just curious to know how the breeders come up with the stats on their seeds. Do they use some sort of standardized criteria? For example; when they say a plant averages 100cm; do they mean they used a certain size container as a baseline to grow? (eg: 2/5/10 gal pot) I'm just curious, as I usually end up finishing my grows in a 20 gal pot, and of course they are always larger than what is described by the breeders. I hope I asked that correctly.

Thanks for any replies

12. #2513 #Groot, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2015
    Collecting it is easy.... Dry the male branches...
    Bang them in a container...The yellow pollen falls off...
    I put mine in a clean glass jar...
    Took a paint brush and pollinated the buds I wanted seeds from...

I'm still in the process of drying and getting more pollen...
    I've read that I should freeze it...
    Hope this helps

• Like Like x 2
  13. i germinated my seed and potted them last night around 11:30pm 12:00am .
    I need to know how long should i keep the cfl on it .if i kan remember it should be 24 hrs until it matures a bit but im not 2 sure . Its a bag seed but the smoke was dank and i have a nice amount of seeds for trial and failure but the sooner the help the better and is very much appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  14. 24 is ok.... I think MOST people prefer 18/6 , but that usually requires a "Timer"

But you'll need a timer for 12/12 anyway...

15. And the crowd goes silent...
    Time for Robert Paulson... Take it away Bob !

16. The man boobs guy on Fight Club?

His name was Robert Paulson.

17. #2518 #Groot, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2015
    Yes... The Movie Brad Pitt WASN'T in.....
    Three weeks of Bloom so far...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. if you are limited on height space, a great way to make her grow out width wise a little, rather than vertical, is tie main stem down almost parallel to dirt if possible, not only does this cut down your height, shell grow even better, nice n opened up for better light penetration. obv most know we call this low stress training (LST) - that in combination with a FIM- (fuck i missed- where you cut about 80% of NEWEST node growth off..) creates even more branches you can see fit to tie down as you please... don't be afraid ur hurting her, youcan REALLY bend the fuck outta those lil weeds :) I havnt ventured into main lining or super cropping, where u actually snap a branch, supposed to grow back stronger.. well see.. as for now, my LST, FIM, and more LST gets me a nice 18" finished bloomed plant, with any where from 4 to 8 main tops.. indicas seem to be affected even better by this, as their short n bushy in nature to begin with.. use some butcher twine, anything cotton or natural fiber... when she grows new branches from the FIM, tie em down!!! get a short squat bud packed plant.. btw that's for like first time growers needing help like I once did.. 90% of the ppl here know these methods... jus a tip to the newb.. happy growing.. :)

19. #2520 buckethead129, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2015
    hey man jus a heads up, can CFLs take a plant from seed to smoke. absolutely. the bus will be no where near the quality though if you were outdoors or had a fancy HPS/MH/LED set-up.. iv tried numerous times lol [​IMG] the bud will grow, but unless you FLOOD the plant with CFL light the buds will grow slowly, poorly and gangly.. with that being said,iv seen some KILLER CFL only grows.. good luck man, look into LED, its the future of cannabis cultivation.. the real deal tho,not like a 140w "full spec" from a crappy company, invest in a good US made product.. in the meantime though, yea man, cfls w grow u a plant, jus smthng about the penetration of light that is so diminished unless its like 2" away lol.. good luck man
    once u get a sched going don't deviate from it. if u give it 18 hours one day,dont give it 24 the next... 18/6 or 24/0 all thru veg,12/12 all thru bloom.. peace bro. and yes your correct.. if u can id go 24/0 w cfls until bloom of the 6000k spectrum.. youll want closer to 3200k for bloom.. if you already begun 18/6 no biggy, let it ride..