Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Guppy-Ponics and the magical "Project Nemo"

• Please log in to reply

shikyo

shikyo

Gold member

• Gold Member
  • 147 posts

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00577.JPG
  • DSC00582.JPG
  • DSC00578.JPG
  • DSC00580.JPG
  • DSC00581.JPG
  • DSC00579.JPG

Edited by shikyo, 24 April 2009 - 04:00 AM.

• 13ronin likes this

BuzzLightOne

BuzzLightOne

Outdoor Grower

• Gold Member
  • 8,738 posts

shikyo

shikyo

Gold member

• Gold Member
  • 147 posts

shikyo

shikyo

Gold member

• Gold Member
  • 147 posts

Dopehead_680

Dopehead_680

• Registered Upgraded
  • 428 posts
Yo I work with fish for a living, three reef tanks and over 10 years experience with fish in general,... the amonia that is excreted from the gills and urates is bad for the plants with out certain bacterial cultures (nitrasomma and nitrasomoan(sp?)) to turn that into nitrate, nitrate is great so is the phosphate an established aquarium normall produces.

Tho this may pose a problem a bigger threat in my honest opinion is that plant matter is a staple diet to guppies and goldfish alike, make sure those roots never hit that water or they are just gonna gobble them up undoubtable causing stress.

The theory as long as u feed the fish is not true either, they lack the genetic composition to feel satiation, your best hope is to take all those pesky goldfish out they will deffinetly cause problems, the guppies could stay although they too like to eat plant matter, I'd try this with something like Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, or Zebra Danios, although they will still eat plant matter if starving these fish are less prone to eating plants in general if other more nourishing food is present.

GL
~Dope

shikyo

shikyo

Gold member

• Gold Member
  • 147 posts

Mr. Farmer

Mr. Farmer

Green Bowl Packer

• Bronze Member
  • 528 posts

ryan55

ryan55

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I would not suggest using that clear container. The light exposure could cause problems to your root system. Clever idea with the fish but I think duece bigalow is right about them causing problems. Good luck...

yunggrasshopa

yunggrasshopa

• Users Awaiting Validation
  • 161 posts
dear god lol

13ronin

13ronin

Blarg....

• Registered Upgraded
  • 790 posts
I agree with several others that you would prolly better off using the fishtank as a reservoir and running hoses to a bubblebucket. But this is great bro. +rep for giving me the best laugh I've had in a while. Project nemo. I fuckin love it dude!

shikyo

shikyo

Gold member

• Gold Member
  • 147 posts

Edited by shikyo, 24 April 2009 - 08:50 PM.

smoove

smoove

IN THE MIX

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,870 posts
the hippie in me cries... poor fish! :cry:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users