Guppy-Ponics and the magical "Project Nemo"

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by shikyo, Apr 24, 2009.

1. #1 shikyo, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009
    So my friend and I decided to do a little "Guppy-Ponics" grow with a white dwarf that we had. The idea is basically to do a DWC Bubble Bucket setup inside an aquarium filled with fish which would provide all the nutrients the plants need for the entire grow. We will not be adding any nutrients that are not fed through the fish first. We currently have 16 fish total, 13 goldfish, 2 female fancy guppies, and 1 male tuxedo guppy. The fish will be fed a variety of foods, but the general goal is to keep a constant supply of all nutrients available. Later on, when we get a larger aquarium we are hoping the guppies will breed on their own so we don't have to buy fish. As for lighting, they are currently under a 600w MH Light next to the rest of my plants...

Without further ado....... THE MAGICAL, AMAZING, PROJECT NEMO!!!!!!!!!!!

This grow brought to you by HappyShikâ„¢

Attached Files:

2. This looks great!

I just know you were blazed and watching "Finding Nemo" when you guys came up with this one!!!! :D

3. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzi1FYZk8Is]YouTube - aquaponic garden part 1 (May 2008)[/ame]

4. *bump* no one else has anything to say?

5. Yo I work with fish for a living, three reef tanks and over 10 years experience with fish in general,... the amonia that is excreted from the gills and urates is bad for the plants with out certain bacterial cultures (nitrasomma and nitrasomoan(sp?)) to turn that into nitrate, nitrate is great so is the phosphate an established aquarium normall produces.

Tho this may pose a problem a bigger threat in my honest opinion is that plant matter is a staple diet to guppies and goldfish alike, make sure those roots never hit that water or they are just gonna gobble them up undoubtable causing stress.

The theory as long as u feed the fish is not true either, they lack the genetic composition to feel satiation, your best hope is to take all those pesky goldfish out they will deffinetly cause problems, the guppies could stay although they too like to eat plant matter, I'd try this with something like Cardinal Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, or Zebra Danios, although they will still eat plant matter if starving these fish are less prone to eating plants in general if other more nourishing food is present.

GL
    ~Dope

6. I appreciate your feedback!!! This grow is based on one in hightimes magazine, although I don't believe it was a DWC setup like this one. So I may have to reconsider a few things, we will see how it goes for the next week or so.

7. Right on man. Best of luck.

8. I would not suggest using that clear container. The light exposure could cause problems to your root system. Clever idea with the fish but I think duece bigalow is right about them causing problems. Good luck...

9. I agree with several others that you would prolly better off using the fishtank as a reservoir and running hoses to a bubblebucket. But this is great bro. +rep for giving me the best laugh I've had in a while. Project nemo. I fuckin love it dude!

10. #11 shikyo, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009
    We originally thought that the light would harm the roots as well, however after doing some research we found several examples of grows that were done with a lot of light exposure to the roots system without any adverse effects. As for the fish harming the plants, we decided to do away with the goldfish and focus only on the guppies for now, so we backed it down to 3 fish for the time being. But the white dwarf is still looking fine at this point, we will just have to see what happens when the roots start to push through the netpot :)

And for anyone who hasn't realized it yet, I am very well aware of the requirements for a successful hydroponic setup lol just look at the rest of my plants, you'll see that they are doing quite well. This is just a fun experiment/project to keep ourselves occupied. If it turns out well, then we will continue to improve upon it, if it fails then oh well..... we'll rethink some things, and try again. Thank you everyone who has taken the time to comment so far, please keep the feedback coming!!!

11. the hippie in me cries... poor fish! :cry: