What happens when you die?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Mushie, Apr 23, 2009.

1. I think there are other realms of existence and that in this physical realm we are given independent prospective in order to gather experiences that when we die are collected in a universal consciousness that is made up of the collective experiences of all life. :smoke:

2. I am a simple man, I believe in God and wear the Saint Christopher around my neck with pride. However, I've found that everything I've asked for in prayer has not come true, contradicting the quote that says that those who believe in God shall recieve anything they ask for in prayer, however I have always had a shadow of a doubt, and this shadow may have been larger when asking for more unlikely things.

So yeah, hopefully I'll get to heaven.

3. Call me down and bash my faith, but i believe there is a heaven and a hell, a biblical god and a devil. Weather or not any humans go to hell im not sure though. But i've actually experinced god on a personal level and ive seen god a satan work in my lots of ppls lives. I mean lots of ppl kind of half ass try jesus for a bit and call it bullshit cuz nothing happens, but if u wholeheartedly pursue god and believe on faith alone god shows himself to you.
    There's my two cents
    Peace

4. reincarnation is a fact, i believe or souls are sent to the "white light" and that is where you wait to be reincarnated. and then when you reach a sort of Moksha or enlightenment you end the cycle of reincarnation and go with The One.

5. You're born,you live,you die...done

6. I think most want to ponder this topic simply because it allows them to avoid dealing with the inevitable. Hey, whatever you gotta tell yourself to make it through another day dude. Death is part of life. It's hard to accept even for the most devout. I believe that a good many of spiritual beliefs are a direct result of mans inability to accept life and death for what it is.............. a one way trip from the womb to the tomb.

7. So i've got to stand in front of some jerk i never met to be judged for every word i've ever said? When jesus' stenographer whips out the part where i said "worm food" is he gonna say "too bad, you said worm food" and feed me to the worms. Sounds a little narrow. If that's the case i think i'll keep shoppin' around for a more compassionate maker.

I respect your right to observe whatever spiritual beliefs you want. But bang that drum in the privacy of your own home. No want wants to hear that "doom and gloom"/"Meet your Maker" stuff around here. It just sounds freakin...................... religulous.

8. Damn I've heard some of his stuff. CRAZY!!

9. Has anyone ever watched How High? You die, your ashes are used as a fertilizer in a plant, and people smoke that plant. That is the afterlife. You are the "High"

10. I see some beautiful answers and I see some passivistic (if thats even an english word) answers, which Are understandable.
    If u know what I mean by passivistic answers, then I think that Those answers are too much based on comprihensible matters.
    Like the brain is the core of conciousness, so without a brain there is nothing.
    I personally think thats too scientificly fetched, and also too easy in way.
    Words have a hard time trying to point at the possible truths that our 'minds' concieve And want to share, but bare with me, I think that; to even try to explain death and all that surrounds that humanly concept, you need to think in non-living contrasts.

A living contrast f.e is thus, the brain is the core of conciousness.
    Maybe on a science based level, but as alot of you know there is more to exsitance then human science, and there lie other truths besides science that explain things that people believe in., which cant be proven or disproven except for the individuals perspective in some cases.

To cut things short(er), I think death is not an end to life, as a matter of fact I think death is another part of Life, because I believe Life does not end, and can not end because it has no need to.
    See it as a transformation, or even a Level "up" or an update or just a regular change.
    Life changes, death is one of them, made for life to carry on.

11. Yep.

Not a thing, other than decomposition.

12. my first high, i coulda swore i died
    i think wen u die, the last few seconds/minutes of ur life just repeat over and over lol, so u dnt evr really truly die lol

no but wat i think is that we all go to where evr we wanna go, like if ur christian u go to heaven (like me), if u dreamed of going to candy island all ur life then thats were u go (Cpt. K'nuckles and FlapJack), if u think u'd be livin in the sky as a spirit then thats wat u'd do, if u dnt believe in afterlife ur life becomes forever nothing
    I just think death wuld be a place of infintie happiness if u let it come naturally

13. i also thought that wen u die, its just a restart button
    u just wake up as a baby, as a completly new person, maybe evn on a whole nother world with completely no connection to ur past life
    Its like wen u die, u close ur eyes, and open it to find u hav 4 eyes, 3 parents and are living on the planet of glorthax
    lol

14. I say lets go with Pascal's Wager. You might as well believe in something, that way your covered if you wakeup in some whitewashed world called heaven, but if not no real loss.

--

On a sidenote, we've barely been studying the brain for more then 20 years. Theres still a hell of a lot left to learn about ourselves.

15. Ya know, respectfully, I don't want to hear all the hocus pocus, reincarnation, worm food, etc. stuff the same way you don't won't to hear you will stand before HIM, but I don't rail on the people that I disagree with. It's called tolerance, and if you aren't mature enough to accept a different view on things, then don't attempt to debate them.

And I agree with you about being worm food. Your physical body will be 6 ft under with the worms. We came from dust, and we'll return to dust. What are you going to do about your soul?

When someone starts a thread titled, "What happens when you die", you can expect several cans of worms to be opened, no pun intended.

16. WOOOOHOOOOOOO! everyone has a different view on it like we are all unique and not the same person. And we wont find out till the end. I want to say that we'll see it and to just live your life now and that the other person was wrong, but i wont because that too contradicts on having different views like if some people think that life is a test to get into the afterlife.

17. When you die.You just go where you want to go.Do you ever dream where you can control it?Thats called lucid dreaming.So when you die you lucid dream yourself anywhere.Dream yourself into heaven,or a huge potfield.Or dream yourself as a lion.Maybe we just dream really hard when we die.Maybe we dont die, we just start all over.

18. I think if a god really existed, he'd probably be sharp enough to see through that.

19. Soul? Show me one shred of evidence that leads us to believe we have "souls."

I understand that we live in a free and tolerant civilization (for the most part) but it still shocks me to read that over half of all Americans believe the Bible to be LITERALLY true. How can you possibly believe that when there is SO MUCH evidence that totally contradicts the Bible (and other holy books as well)? I think people fall back on the idea of religious tolerance, especially when I try to explain to them the fallacies in their beliefs. "Well thats just what I believe and this is America." You have the freedom to believe whatever you want however, that doesn't make it any more right in the end.

20. At the point near human death, your brain releases an insane amount of DMT from your pineal gland(DMT is a chemical naturally made in your brain that like acid but much more intense and powerful, for those of you who didnt know). Then after your trip, you die and to what i believe you live another life.