Tussionex, or something good...

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by ksn2122, Apr 11, 2009.

1. #1 ksn2122, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009
    Over the past few days, I have developed a decent cough. I decided to use this cough to obtain promethazine/codeine or hydrocodone cough syrup. However, I think I went to the doctor too early, as I went yesterday and he described Delsym, an OTC syrup with the active ingredient being dextromethorphan. My cough is much worse today and I am yet to give up on my prescription syrup. What should I tell the doctor, as I was planning on calling back tomorrow? The majority of what I tell him has been the truth, however, I just want to know how to twist it to ensure that I am prescribed something nice. So far, I have told him that I have a bad cough that gets very bad at night and makes it very difficult to sleep.

If you have an issue with what I am doing, please don't post, as I have no interest in hearing how I am the reason why others cannot get the medication they need. If someone shows the correct symptoms, I'm sure the correct medication will be given. But that is not the point. Furthermore, if this is against forum policy, I deeply apologize. I checked over the rules, and I'm unsure if it's ok or not. So I came here, to Pandora's Box.

My plan: I intend to call the doctor tomorrow, which will be two days after my initial visit, and tell them that my cough has gotten progressively worse (true), and that the medication is not working. When I talk to the doctor, I'm going to say that "I cough so hard that I can't sleep at night", and explain to him how my lungs are sore and I still cannot sleep.

Advice and contribution to the thread are appreciated, especially advice based on experience. And one last question: Do I want my cough to be dry, or should I say that I have been coughing up phlegm? I told the doctor that I did cough up phlegm a couple times, but not regularly.

I would prefer Tussionex or a hydrocodone syrup but a promethazine/codeine syrup would be great as well.

2. Well, tell him that the coughing causes A LOT of pain. I had a cough once, where everytime i coughed, i would scream. It hurt so bad, it was ridiculous. I was bleeding all down by my bronch and had to get a camera shoved down my neck. Got some lean though :p

Just make sure to mention pain, lots of it.

3. Pain mostly in my chest? Or should I talk about pain in my throat as well?

4. IF you talk about chest pain, then he might think you have bronchitis, which could mean he gives you something for bronchitis, not what you want. Tell him your throat is SUPER raw and SUPER painfull, you cant sleep and it hurts to eat and drink. Mention chest pain, but not being that bad. Mention you have felt nausea's for the entire time of you being sick too, and nothing you can buy is helping.

5. Ugh. I followed your directions, but was sadly diagnosed with sinusitis, and prescribed an antibiotic, despite me telling him there is no pain or pressure in my face. For future reference, where did I go wrong? Thanks again.

6. You could always go back and say its not working for the pain. And you havn't slept in days or something.

7. #7 ksn2122, Apr 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
    I'd like to, but after receiving the prescription for Zicam or whatever, I gave up and began taking medicine. My condition has improved greatly and, well, I don't know about going back in entirely healthy (as I probably will be in a couple days) and trying to convince a doctor that I've actually gotten worse. I think I'll just wait and try again next time I get a good cough going, but hopefully I have a better plan worked out by the time that happens.

To those that have successfully faked symptoms and received a prescription for promethazine/codeine or hydrocodone cough syrup, please share your experiences. I'd appreciate it, I want to learn.

By the way, my temperature was 100.3 (I think) when the nurse took it. However, I reported no feverish symptoms, because, well, I didn't have any. Does a slight fever have any effect on whether a doctor will prescribe those syrups or not?

8. I think it has to do with the ammount of pain you are in, and how long you have been going to that particular doctor, so they know you arn't just trying to get a script.

The only time I've seen prometh/codeine actually perscribed was after a throat surgery for sleep apnea. so yea... GL next time.

9. Oh...So I have virtually no chance at this and might as well give in to paying the black market prices?

10. Im not saying that you have no chance, in fact im sure you do but i just dont know how. Thats just the only time ive seen any1 get drank for a prescription and really the only time ive seen drank. A while back some1 suggested smoking 2 packs of cigs to yourself right before you go in.

11. I score tussionex or hycodan all the time. My main things I say are I have had this dry hacking cough for like 3-5 days and it is keeping me up at night and cannot sleep at all. Then usually I tell some story about I had these similar conditions a year ago and my doctor then prescribed prednisolone and tussionex and it worked great for me to get some sleep and got rid of the cough. Then sometimes I go back two weeks later and say the cough will not go away then I usually get a refill on the tussionex. The main part I think that works is telling him over the counter drugs you have tried arent working and you are just hacking and cannot sleep at all. Works like a charm for me everytime.