Wiring Computer Fan(s) to Run on 120V A/C

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Azureblue, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Awesome, thanks for the tips! i'll give it a try with the voltmeter. I had wondered if I was getting 100% from the fans.

Thanks!

I connected the two new fans (the two bigger fans) to the same adapter. According to the list amperage capability it should be more then capable of handling both.

2. what would happen if i wired the fans to an adapter thats more than 12v

3. Power is not used unless a load is attached to it. Only loads and resistors (a type of load) can actually draw or use power. Capacitors, etc. store power. So if you have a 600W power adapter with a 50W fan hooked to it, the adapter still has 550W "remaining" to be utilized until it is saturated (out of ability).

4. Depends on the current which is delivered by said adapter. Could run the fan slow/fast or fry it. * shrug *

5. I have the same 2 fans and when I connect them to my 12v dc 1.5A adapter, one fan goes way faster than the other. How do I connect 2 properly so their speeds are balanced?

6. Hmmm...I haven't had this problem. If you have the supplies, you may want to rewire them again just to be sure.

I PM'd you a bunch of info. If you are worried you can wire the 2nd fan to your other adapter, the 500mA one that you mentioned, and it should also solve the problem. If that is an option, I would try that first/instead of using the same adapter for both.

Good luck! :cool:

7. thanks for the tut.. guess i'll just hope for the best when i plug em in :)

8. No problem man :cool:

Good luck! :D

9. im running 4 computer fans off one cell phone charger, there not running full speed but they do work and have no problems i need to get something better tho power each one, Also i cut my yellow wire and just hooked up red and black, i dont see the need for the yellow wire.

10. If it runs without the yellow wire, that's good times :D

In my experience the fans wouldn't run unless the yellow wire was also getting 12 volts. That's why I spliced it into the red wire, so that it always has power, thus is always on.

Props for using a cell phone charger too. Way to save some money :D

11. Hey Azure

Getting Ready Huh! What strain this time? I'm actually interested in your intake set up. Can you get into details, I would really like to borrow the design for my box, I know only one would fit.

12. Yeah man, I am working on my PC/server growbox right now :D

The end of my 2nd grow thread has some pictures of the growbox design. It is something to keep me busy :cool:

I haven't decided on strain yet, though I have dropped my previous prejudices against autoflowering, dwarf, and feminized strains, and am seriously considering them all. At the top of my list currently are: white dwarf, poison dwarf, and Lowryder 2 (LR2).

Glad to hear you like the intake design. It worked well for me for two grows. I love the "pull-through" exhaust method. I have recommend it whenever possible!

I have put together details on my intake/exhaust setup in the past within my two grow journals. I did some digging for you, and I found the area within my first grow that I had some pictures. If you have some extra time, read through my first grow journal because I know someone asked a similar question at the time and I went into greater detail on the subject. I would definitely recommend it!

You can also search here at Grasscity.com for "pull-thru" or "pull-through" exhaust method to see others who have done the same.

Thanks for keeping an eye on my grows man :D

13. Thanks For the info. You have so many good post, I didnt know where to start LOL

I've been a little lazy lately:rolleyes: You are definetly on My Buddies I can learn from List.

Im gonna have my first journal entry tomorrow, my babies are a week old. tell me what you think. My wife gave me permission to buy or build tent/box. Im so freaking excited. Have my eye on those black and white tents or do you suggest I build from a exsisting cabinet. There is one catch though, my smoking must be reduced:eek: which I agree with. Alot of research this week.

14. Thank you for your kind words :D

That is great! I will look forward to your grow journal with much anticipation :D

Growing is a a wonderful experience. I would recommend it to anyone (though be careful because of it's legal status).

I don't have any experience with tents, but I know a number of people have had good success with them. I prefer stealth cabinets myself because if you have family or friends over, you can keep it hidden from them even within your own home. My in-laws came over many times during my first and second grow, and they didn't suspect a thing :cool:

My smoking was greatly reduced when I was growing, I noticed. I was so busy with the grow (and I needed energy and motivation) that I didn't smoke much at all. Of course, that changed after I finished the grow :smoke:

Good luck to you!

15. Hey azureblue,

do you know what the blue wire on some pc fans is for?

16. control wire,the third wire of pc fans is for controlling rpms

17. Would your mind be completely blown if I told you our fans have 4 wires? red, black, yellow and blue?

We wired the yellow into the red, because I read it was a switch to turn the fan on our off. If blue is RPMs, how would you suggest wiring it for optimum usage?

18. The 4-pin fan headers are for PWM (pulse width modulation) fans. The speed of PWM fans can be controlled by software (usually the motherboard BIOS).

Pin 1 = +12V
    Pin 2 = GND
    Pin 3 = Speed sensor
    Pin 4 = PWM pulse

What you need is +12V and GND,the wire colors may vary,usually black = ground, yellow = +12V

19. Thanks for this tutorial! It helped me out a lot since i'm working on a PC grow case :D

20. So glad to hear that it helped :hello:

Good luck with the PC grow case! If you have a grow journal, PM me or post it up here, I would love to see it (edit: just found the link in your signature, I am blind :rolleyes:). I am in the process of putting my own PC grow case together for my next grow.

Take care :D