Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account
Grasscity.com 420 Sale - 25% Discount

Wiring Computer Fan(s) to Run on 120V A/C

• Please log in to reply

Azureblue

Azureblue

Growing My Life Away

• Bronze Member
  • 1,987 posts

Edited by Azureblue, 24 April 2009 - 07:05 PM.

Joescool00

Joescool00

• Registered Upgraded
  • 199 posts
This is sweet. I have been wondering about how to wire some of these up.

zpyro

zpyro

Max. Support of Min. Govt

• Registered Upgraded
  • 5,282 posts
Posted Image

Joescool00

Joescool00

• Registered Upgraded
  • 199 posts
LOL o yea :hide:

Azureblue

Azureblue

Growing My Life Away

• Bronze Member
  • 1,987 posts

rudar

rudar

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

I am aware of that option (have a lot of experience in that particular field) and that is way too bulky for my cabinet grow!!

as well as burning from 300-600 watts to power your two fans! :smoking:

zpyro

zpyro

• Registered Upgraded
  • 5,282 posts

as well as burning from 300-600 watts to power your two fans! :smoking:

doubt it, unless you have something to use that power, where would it go? maybe if you had a computer with hard drives, motherboard, CPU etc. to power, but if you only have two small fans, they're only going to use the power to turn the small fans

PhL0aTeR

PhL0aTeR

high off my own supply

• Registered Upgraded
  • 689 posts
This tutorial is way overdue, +rep!!!!

STICKY!!!!!!!

rudar

rudar

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
i had an elec engineer try and tell me that a computer consumes a huge amount of power when switching on, so much so that he recommended leaving it on 24/7?

i thougth it was wierd but i dunno, i like the radioshack route better unless you have a junk power unit lying around (which i do wait a sec, need to think that one over)

In a pinch, you can buy a 3 pack of 6V batteries at walmart for 4 bucks and power them for almost a week per battery, depending on the voltage of the fan

Edited by rudar, 10 April 2009 - 04:59 PM.

zpyro

zpyro

• Registered Upgraded
  • 5,282 posts

i like the radioshack route better unless you have a junk power unit lying around (which i do wait a sec, need to think that one over)

indeed. that's really what I meant, if you have one lyin around it's a free power source and you can hook plenty of fans up to one quite easily. of course it's always better to use something specifically made just for the fans

thosevacanteyes

thosevacanteyes

Hillside Hippie

• Bronze Member
  • 2,562 posts

jbyrd

jbyrd

Chronic User

• Silver Member
  • 2,805 posts

FreshMeat

FreshMeat

Grade A Top Choice

• Bronze Member
  • 463 posts

Azureblue

Azureblue

Growing My Life Away

• Bronze Member
  • 1,987 posts

namewasdallas

namewasdallas

• Registered Upgraded
  • 501 posts
How are those 2 fans working for you, I currently have a dresser cabnit grow, i have 4 - 3inch circle vents with no fans to them, I'm going to try the fan method, I was wondering if there is a way to adjust fan speed on what you setup, I remmber on my old computer i had a adjustable knob for fan speed to 1000rpm-9000rpm. I'm trying to keep my heat under 90 im at like 82 but i keep my window open and its still cold so come summer i will have a problem,

well i just wanted to know how those 2 fans worked out, id set 3 to push out air out and 1 to pull in fresh air,

Azureblue

Azureblue

Growing My Life Away

• Bronze Member
  • 1,987 posts

Azureblue

Azureblue

Growing My Life Away

• Bronze Member
  • 1,987 posts

sirsloth

sirsloth

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
You can usually find old AC adapters at Goodwill for cheap. Keep in mind also that most PC fans will run at a range of voltage (usually somewhere around 5V-18V). Depending on your noise tolerance, you can overvolt or undervolt as you see fit.

Also, it is worth noting that an AC adapter will put out its specified voltage at full load. If operating at less than full load, there is a good chance you are getting extra voltage. Use a multimeter to see how much exact voltage you are delivering to your fan and make any necessary adjustments accordingly.

kerv

kerv

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
you connected them all to the same adapter?

walnut

walnut

• Registered Upgraded
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
I'm running two 80mm Panaflo low speed fans which have a power spec of 100mA @ 12V each. Funny thing is they draw less than rated since the 200mAh 9V wall wart I am using is putting out a voltage of 10.5V. Rated load for those fans is on the conservative side I think.

Wall warts come in a variety of sizes. I have one that is rated for 3A @ 12V. Always hang on to these when tossing old electronics. If you're looking for some, hit up your local goodwill. They seem to have a bin of these by the electronics. Can be had on the cheap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users