help on how to go about flushing your plants

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by doobydoo420, Apr 8, 2009.

1. I have 2 felames and they are about 7 weeks into flower.

Im a little bit confused about how to do the flush.

The plants are in 2 gal containers.

so my question is do i just feed it a normal amount of fresh water until i harvest, or am i suppost to give it 6 gallons of water at once?

also, theres something weird happening to one of the leaves.
    does anybody know what could be happening?

thanks for all the help in advance:D

Attached Files:

2. Yes flush it with 3 times the amount of water the container can hold at once.....then let dry..not the Sahara desert dry lol..but moderately dry..before you water again with nutes

3. Not experienced on this, but I thought you were supposed to flush in order to clear out chemicle ferts, so you don't end up smoking them. So flushing would be 2 weeks before you harvest, and you wouldn't add any nutes after you flush... that would totally negate the purpose of flushing.

That's just what I understood from researching. Don't take my word for it though as I'm not there yet :)

4. And BtBR gets the prize. 100% correct.;)

5. As to your leaves:

I've read leaves start getting nitrogen deficiency in flowering, so don't worry it'll be okay, they'll probably ALL end up getting yellow and drooping down from the pics I've seen around, but your buds will start get fatty if all is well! = 0

6. :wave:

7. No worries, yellowing of the leaves is normal near the end of flowering :smoke:

8. Flush 1-3 weeks before u plan on harvesting. JUst flush with a little more than average amount of water youre using now, with molasses(will increase bud growth).Give 1-2 table spoons of molasses per gallon of water. DO NOT GO OVER THIS, or the chances of mold will greatly increase

As for your leaves, towards the end of flowering many of the larger fan leaves will start to yellow, which just means the plant is using stored nutrients in the leaves to grow buds(this doesnt mean add nutrients to water), it basicly signifies the beginning of the end for the plant.

9. The whole purpose of flushing is to do just that....flush out the remaining nutes, salts, etc. By adding the volume of water you do, it blows everything out of the soil, so nothing is taken into the plant. There is enough energy stored in the fan leaves to keep the plant going, that is why the leaves usually turn yellow or brown at the end of the cycle. Flushing does not stress the plant.

10. Clearing agents work very well also and are cheap, $20 per gallon and that lasts a long time. You only need to flush a week with an additive of this type. Molassas or a Sugar Daddy type supplement is also important durring the flush to bring out the best flavors in your smoke. Good Luck

11. thanks for all the responses.

i guess from here on out ill just be using water.

as for molasses ive already used them during early flowering. i gave one more than the other and i think it almost killed the one.
    all the leaves turned yellow and started falling off and the buds havent getting much bigger since.

do you think molasses had anything to do with that?

12. Looks like from the leaves they were over ferted a little bit. always use additives at half strength for young plants, including molassas. a little usually goes a long way. and try to only water with ferts once a week in soil, other waterings through just use H2O. also its best to use Reverse Osmosis (R/O) H2O as the ppm is nearest to 0 which is the best place to start. keep up the good growing peace

13. I agree... If i have a 5 gallon bucket i flush with 5 gallons.... but my dirt drains well and it does not kill the roots.

But, my whole flushing process begins with... 5 gallons first day... 3rd day regular water... 5th day reg water... then on the 7th day the big leaves will start to die off and on the 10th day i cut her down hope this helps

14. well the thing is... i have 2 plants that both started in fox farm ocean forest..... after transplanting when i started flowering i only hadeniough FFOF for one plant. i usually give them about a 1/2gal each. the plant with the FFOF starts to drain right away, which i like...

the other plant was transplanted into scots potting soil. that soil loves holding the water, but its also the bigger, healthier plant.

i think i might just end up just giving it pure water until i chop them down.

ive also only used flora nova bloom nutes twice so im not sure the leaf problem is from nutes.... but who knows.

thanks for all your input everyone

15. #15 ricard0, Apr 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2009
    I doubt it. Unless you used like 4 tbsp.'s of molasses per gallon, it'd be hard to kill a plant with it. Molasses benefits the soil, indirectly benefiting the plant/s. It's not really a nutrient by itself. 1 tbsp. per gallon is pretty standard, 2 tbsp. is the MAX IMO. Hope that helps. :wave:

BTW: I feed every other watering and leave a dry day in between waterings. (ie. Feed Monday, dry Tuesday, Plain water Wednesday, dry Thursday. Repeat.).

Also, at the beginning of flower up until flush time (2 weeks left), i use 1 tbsp. of molasses per gallon for the NON-Nuted waterings. I figure it breaks down all the stuff i fed it last time.

Also, i water using 1 liter of water per plant (plants are in 3gal. bags) , ferted or not, for the entire grow until flush. During flush i water each plant with 1.5-2 liters (depending on plant needs). Then i give her one extra dry day before chop.

16. Flushing is just what it sounds like. Using more water than you need to leach out the excess salts that tend to build up in soil. If you are adding just enough water to wet the soil, then you are just watering. If you are watering with nutes, then you are fertilizing. Flushing is done by adding 3x the amount of water to the amount of soil. This is done over a small period of time, maybe 20 mins or so. People flush during the last two weeks of the plant's life. Most soil growers also flush their medium once a month as good practice. This is why one guy mentioned watering with a low dose nute solution after the flushing. Since you are in the final weeks of your grow, you can ignore that part. I don't recommend using molasses during the final week of the grow, but it is safe to use for the rest of the flowering period.

As for your leaves, it looks like nute burn. This is characterized by the dark color of the leaves, and the burned tips. Some deficiencies can cause burned tips, but they are usually accompanied by inveinal chlorosis or other symptoms. Your dark dark leaves are a pretty good sign that nutes have built up in your soil. Flushing will help. Don't add anything else to your soil except water from this point on.

Hope that helps.

17. Sometimes, other factors can cause plants to burn other than adding lots of nutes. If your PH is off, some nutes may become locked out from your plant, which means they just sit in the soil and burn up the roots. If you haven't already, invest in a good PH meter for your next grow. It's a grower's best friend. Also, if you have the cash, an EC meter will give you an accurate idea of how much nutes are built up in your soil. Some plants can handle EC's up to 2.0 or more, but some are not as forgiving. Do a little research on whatever strain you are growing and see if you can find any common trends in that strain's growing pattern and feeding schedule.