Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Planting seeds directly into the ground

• Please log in to reply

aaronz

aaronz

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello!, this will be my first time growing and i was wondering if i could just plant the seeds directly into the ground in my backyard after germinating them. i'm on a really tight budget so i can't really afford too much stuff.

i was also thinking of getting the soil in one section of my backyard that is used to grow lettuce and putting it into 5 gallon pots and using that to grow the weed'

edit - i just found a couple of unopened bags of ""Earthgro Steer Manure Blend" if it would help any Posted Image

i live in southern california and will be growing in my backyard btw

Edited by aaronz, 03 April 2009 - 08:25 AM.

wenahaone

wenahaone

26 dollars in my hand

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,017 posts
^I used to sell that stuff for a dollar a bag at home depot. OH! I just remembered. You can get "cull" bags on a pallete for really cheap. I think like 7 random bags(some expensive soils) for five bucks...at least at the one I worked at.

but, ya. you should probably add a bit more to your soil.

I believe I've heard people refer to straight compost as "noob mix" in this section before.

cantharis

cantharis

Banned

• Banned by Moderators
  • 6,460 posts
What is in your garden is an unknown quantity. Sure you can put your sprouts directly in it, but if it contains little nutrition you won´t get much back. Best to mix some fert, horseshit or wormcasts, into the soil. Give your plants a chance.

Edited by cantharis, 03 April 2009 - 09:41 AM.

Corto Malteze

Corto Malteze

Night grower

• Gold Member
  • 5,891 posts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users