Leaf tips curling down, ram's horn (cross-posting from sick plants forum)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by steviebrutal, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Hey all -- well here's the rundown of my setup:

What type of medium: Soil
    What brand and type of soil? Fox Farms Ocean Forest
    Indoors or outdoors? Indoors
    What strain? White Widow
    How old are the plants? Week 7 Flowering - Day 1 (4 weeks veg)
    What type of lights and how many watts? 250w Eye Hortilux Super HPS (enhanced spectrum)
    How far from the lights? 10" from top of canopy
    What, how much and when was it fed? Last feeding was 2 days ago, ph-tested spring water (6.5)
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 65 deg F, 45-55% humidity
    What size pots? 2 gallon
    Any bugs? Look real close. No, cabinet is very well contained
    Any other pertinent info? Normal feedings with nutes only use the FFOF concentrate trio, molasses, and Beastie Bloomz

Any ideas what could be causing the leaf curling in my plants? My first thought was nitrogen overdose, but after 7 days of just ph-tested spring water -- the curl has not subsided. I considered heat as well, but my 3rd plant is just fine -- the last 4 pics I included is the 3rd healthy plant, the first 4 are the 2 curling plants.

Not sure what other info to include here.

If you think its an issue that I took these with my HPS on, just let me know and I will retake some shots with a CFL or something (leaves are in fact dark green - not yellow as with the HPS on).

Thanks in advance for any guidance GC!

Pics available in the sick plants forum thread: http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-pla...k-green-leaf-tips-curling-down-rams-horn.html

My apologies for the cross-post.

2. Several things will cause leaf tips to curl down. Among them are magnesium or sulphur deficiency. Both of these can be easily corrected with epsom salts. It can also mean that the plant is being over-fertilized, which totally goes against my last statement. Sometimes the tips will curl down in an attempt to keep moisture, but this is more likely seen along with drooping. Since pinning down the exact cause of your problem is difficult, I would flush the plants well, and let them dry out. Then start adding back diluted nutes (1/3 or 1/4) of the recommened dose. Adding epsom salts at the rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water wouldn't hurt either, it will correct the magnesium and sulphur problem (if that is in fact what the problem is). It also contains trace minerals which are good for the plant too.

3. said they curl down..like they look like an umbrella...if thats the case..then that means they are to cold and are compensating for the temperature:D Hope this helped

4. Thanks for the insight, guys.

I am going to flush the worst looking plant later tonight. When I flush, should I use plain water or should I adjust the PH? If so, do I want to check the PH of the runoff first before I begin adjusting? I'm assuming my target zone is 6.3-6.5.

5. Its been about 14 hours since the flush and the plant does seem to look a bit better, though im gonna take pics to compare later.

When I tested the run off of the soil, the PH was ~5 which strikes me as far too acidic for soil growing. In fact, I checked one of my references (Cervantes, Indoor/Outdoor Horticulture Medical Grower's Bible) and from the information there I think the plant is experiencing a phosphorous deficiency from lockout. The flush was with some very base water (7.4), so I am going to test the run off later with some balanced solution (6.8) and see where I am at now.

If my hunch is right, I should be able to save this plant from shitty bud production.