Pocket knife

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Blix, Apr 1, 2009.

1. 4 inch blue Gerber, my daily driver

2. #482 Big Juice, May 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
    1432510470065.jpg 1432510481830.jpg
    My chitty TAC force I got from a car show for $25, assisted opening, I got this after losing the folder below

1432510634802.jpg

3. My pocket knives.
    [​IMG]

4. My two other close choices were:
    Spyderco Endura 4
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1432609642.585159.jpg

Benchmade Griptillian
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1432609726.891973.jpg

I'm seriously debating picking up a Spyderco, but what am I gonna do with so many knives!!

5. Those are all very purdy

6. I like purdy things

7. #487 imbackagain, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    Right now I'm carrying a SOG Bluto

[​IMG]

on occassion I use my spyderco manbug...

At my old jobs I was able to bring a paramilitary 2 and a manix 2 lightweight at the same time. Not so much these days.

Looking forward to buying one of those ZT 0900s

8. I like spyderco, they make good knives for the price.

9. #489 imbackagain, May 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2015
    I've bought six, gave away three. But I love the one's I've kept.

My SOG Bluto is my favorite knife I've ever known. Second to my CF skyline with titanium everything else. I've yet to spend too much on one knife but I'm slowly creeping up there. My next will be either the ZT 0900 or the DPX HEAT in CF SHRED then probably a small sebenza.

EDIT: I think the Benchmade 940-1 is between the HEAT and the CRK

10. Use an Opinel blade. Handy, hardy, lightweight.

[​IMG]

11. Delica 4ffg or an Izula

12. I used to live full flat grinds, but chris reeve showed me hollow grinds can be wonderful!

13. Oh I totally agree, people always rag on them even though they're one of (imho) the best grinds. Super thin edge, and still do deep slices well enough

14. Well not all blades are created equal. Hollow grinds are great for slicing I'm sure.

But I also sharpen my own knives and make my own bevels and polishes for the edge. I love how my knives fly through cardboard (I open a lot of boxes at work).
    My kitchen knives are sort of flat grind, there's tapering but invisible to the eye.

15. I have opened a ton of boxes and I've found that a hollow grind knife with a recurve is my favorite. Although nothing can really beat a 'spring loaded safety utility blade' in that role, my Sog Bluto comes close. It's small, legal, fast open/close, and can cut like no other. The difference is buying replacement blades and learning/finding the means to maintain an edge.

PS: an izula is awesome, a delica is not my style.

16. I will never buy a recurve, impossible to sharpen on a wet stone (my preference of sharpening since I'm a chef).

Though I have a recurve fixed knife, only for chopping wood so doesn't have to be sharp at all.

17. I have a 6 inch S&W border guard 2 with a 40% serrated edge and tanto blade