DIY home/stealth grow box on a budget!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by kibantik, Mar 18, 2009.

1. #1 kibantik, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2009
    Tomorrow or the next day I'll be going to Home Depot/Lowes in order to pick up initial supplies for this build (since I just got paid). I am modeling it after Smokeitdown's grow box that you can see in this thread:

http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/325436-full-grow-box-setup-pics.html

I am making a list here so that I can get most of what I'll need for the initial box construction (don't needs pots/soil/ anything like that yet).

The goal is to just grow one plant as a hobby, and possibly a few clones, as cheaply and effectively as possible.

Here is what I am going to buy so far, and please let me know if I am missing anything. Assume that I have NO BUILDING MATERIALS WHATSOEVER:

Plywood (I think they can cut it there for me)
    (2) 32x32 (base/top)
    (2) 32x36 (two sides)
    (2) 31x36 (other sides)
    Thanks for the correct measurements, Smokeitdown.

Small powerdrill w/ bits (especially a saw/hole bit for air intake holes)
    6" in line exhaust fan (taking recommendations)
    hinges
    screws
    power strip
    elastomeric caulk
    flat white paint (primer)
    elastomeric roofing compound (paint for all surfaces inside)
    weather stripping foam (light leaks)

For the intakes:
    3- flat round drain grates
    3- 4" pvc elbows
    3- 4" pvc elbows (other to attach)

For the lights:
    I want the setup like Smokeitdown and Don Piano have in the set up here:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/325436-full-grow-box-setup-pics-9.html
    Post #123

SO, if either Don or Smoke reads this and can post a list of things I need to buy and some simple instructions, that would rock. :)

Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to this as a fun little hobby!

2. Lol no, you have the measurements of the plywood wrong. Its
    1/2 inch thick plywood

(2) 32x32(base/top)
    (2) 32x36(two sides)
    (2) 31x36(other sides)

The reason for two sides being 32 and two sides being 31 inches are because when you place them against each other, the 1/2 inch plywood at each side adds up to an extra inch on each end. I didn't use a 2x4 frame for this, just basically screwed and nailed plywood together.

I would STRONGLY suggest you build a frame for your box before adding the plywood as walls. I had to use angle brackets for support at the top of the box because I did not build a frame.

For a list of things to buy, here is a run down of most of the things you will need.

Plywood, 2x4's for framing, inline fan, some 6" flexi-ducting, nails&screws, weather stripping, paintable caulk to seal all cracks, flat white paint, power strip, hinges, hook screws and eye screws

I cant think of much more right now, I wont be on too much in the next few days. Thanks for giving my thread props and I'm honored so many people want to model boxes off mine. It really is a simple and easy thing to get started, its the growing thats the tough part!

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions man.

3. Thanks, will do!

Not really sure what kind of frame you mean. I don't really plan to keep anything heavy on top of the box, so as long as it is standing, I'm happy. ;)

4. Turns out I have an interview tomorrow, so my purchases will be post-poned until Saturday.

Any last minute thoughts before I go and drop the cash?

5. Congrats on the future build. It looks like I'l be starting up something very similar to your setup next month so I think I'll subscribe.

6. You'll probably find the 6" hole saw to get ducts in/out is about $40 at Home Depot. You can get a jigsaw with a blad for less than that at Walmart...and it can be useful for a whole bunch of other tasks.

On the fan, just get the best you can get....do not get the 6" inline fan from Home Depot though....it's completely useless unless you want to cool off a hot spoonfull of soup or something.

I recommend the CAN fans but I'm the other brand names work good too. I suggest you get a fan and filter now instead of having to worry about it as heat and smell increases.

7. Thanks. Any specific recommendations? Remember, the goal is to do this on a tight budget. :p

8. Just picked up the cheapest power drill and jigsaw I could find at my local Lowe's.

Total cost: About $65

The drill is cordless for easy indoor use. The jigsaw is not, but I don't think I'll be using it indoors anyway.

What kind of wood should I be getting, Smoke or Don? And how much should each sheet cost? (I think I'll need 3?)

9. another one, ill have to tune in and see if u can follow smoke's footsteps :hello:

10. Saved for reference