Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Definitive Tincture Method

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by JustJoe, Mar 14, 2009.

1. My son suffers from a very disabling and painful affliction. He has found that 1/4 joint helps dramatically.

Medical MJ is not legal or even decriminalized in my area and the punishments are quite severe. I'm looking for a less obtrusive fast acting method to deliver his relief. Marinol is not effective for his condition.

I have spent the last few days reading almost everything I could find on tinctures. It would seem that food based glycerin tinctures are absorbed quicker under the tongue and this extraction method produces the greatest amount of THC over the EverClear based method.

The problem is, that everyone seems to have a definitive opinion on "best" and as a result have a wide degree of results. I need definitive answers here please based on science and real world experience, my child is in pain and we simply do not have time to experiment.

Please help me, help my son.
    JustJoe

2. doesnt get faster than lungs. so i suggest you buy a vaporizer. no smoke so no lung damage or anything. and works fast. and saves a lot of bud.

3. in my opinion the best option is either cannabutter( marijuana butter) , or an alcohol tincture , tinctures work excellent , and are very fast acting.

4. I would definitely go with the vaporizer as well.

5. how fast?

6. yeah i would make some Green Dragon and see how that works.

7. #7 JustJoe, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
  8. #8 dosboot, Mar 14, 2009
    I've used a vaporizer (volcano), and it still makes me cough a bit, still makes a stink.

I think you've got the right idea going for a tincture recipe, but do investigate canna butter as well. I will look around, and be back in a bit with a recipe for the tincture for you.

EDIT:

Here you go, found this here

Glycerine-based Tincture

You need to use food grade U.S.P glycerine, this can be relatively hard to find inexpensively but a gallon lasts a LONG time.

Glycerines have a shorter shelf life than alcohol based tinctures and while they can sit on the shelf I refrigerate mine. Vegetable glycerine has nearly no impact on blood sugar or insulin and is very low in calories (4.3 per gram). It's sweet taste makes the tincture more palatable than the alcohol based tincture and is a suitable substitute for those concerned with alcohol consumption.

Add the amount of cannabis that you desire for potency. I added 6 oz of roughly trimmed (finger trimmed the leaves off) cannabis to 1 gallon of glycerine. For your personal preference add more cannabis or less depending on desired potency. I blend mine, using a coffee grinder, blender or if you are lucky enough to have a Vita Mix. Make sure there is no other product matter in whatever you use. I use a clean basting brush to clean out my Vita Mix when I am done powdering my cannabis.

Place in a crockpot on low. Some crockpot's low settings are too high so you may not be able to use yours. A "Keep Warm" setting if you have it is the best choice. Too hot, and you are killing the properties you are trying to extract, you want the mixture to be as warm as possible without boiling, I left my tincture like this for 24 hours. I have heard people leaving the tincture from anywhere from 4-6 hours to 3 days. You can try the tincture at intervals to decide when you are done. REMEMBER that glycerine tincture retains heat VERY WELL, do not burn yourself!!

If you do not have a crockpot you can place the herbs in a clear, sealed jar in a warm, sunny spot and accomplish the same thing over 4 weeks. Some people make their "sunshine tinctures" over 2 weeks. I do not feel that is long enough, especially in colder weather. Some leave them in the sun for up to 12 weeks. I have never seen a need to go that long myself. Shake each day to mix the herbs in.

When ready to strain use cheesecloth and a strainer to extract the cannabis debris, the THC has been extracted and the tincture is ready to use. The best way to store is in a glass amber bottle. A good place to obtain a large bottle for the bulk of your tincture is a brewery store that has supplies to make wine or beer. I also obtained a few small amber bottles with eye droppers for convenience. It takes a lot longer to strain glycerine than it does alcohol, the tincture will drip when strained instead of flow.

Dr Jay
    _______

Everything I've read lately says that you need to put some heat on the bud in order to transform the THC into the useable kind. So I would steer clear of recipes that don't call for any heat. My 2 cents. :)

9. About the volcano there is definatly a desired temp for vaping mj. The right temp with vaporize the thc and leave the organic compounds behind that have ill effects on your body. ex tar.

in my experience with tinctures i've noticed that they really do work well for pain with out getting you as high if that's what you're looking for. being relieved of pain with out being annihalated. the tincture i use is a handle of 151 with a pound of bud fermented for 3 months then pressed out. A dropper full under the tounge helps alot, at least in my case which is cronic lower back pain from a car accident.

I would suggest the tincture for pain unless you wanta get high at the same time. in which case the volcano is were its at but it costs 500 bucks and does emitt some smell. not as bad as smoking but a good nose will know your vaping weed. good luck dude.

10. I saw the crockpot method on another site. It just contradicted what some others have said. For example that one link said 311* and the crock pot method said not to get it too hot.

11. #11 dosboot, Mar 14, 2009
    Yes, if you get it too hot, all your thc will float away. Still, it seems that you must put some heat on it to transform the thc to the usable kind. There is debate about this.

There is a user called (I'll PM you) who knows the correct temps to use and so forth.

12. #12 JustJoe, Mar 14, 2009
    Thanks Dosboot. I'll pm him and see if he can help us.

I'm off to measure the temps in my crock pot.

I could not find his username, my crockpot does have warm, low and high so maybe that will work. I have a candy thermometer ready when it come up to temps.

13. Got it, thanks, off to that site.

14. Hey joe, are you the same person from bluelight? named joes dad, some one there said they were looking into medical usage for their sons cluster headaches.

15. Yes, that's me aka JoeysDad. I decided to look at Tinctures.

16. ^ small world. An yes great decision on tinctures, this way you can get more potent fast acting relief of the headaches, and u only have to take a small amount so probally no worries of intoxication, but you probaly alredy know that

17. I've been all over the net as you can tell, because this is important and I'll keep searching until I've found a solution. There is no cure for what he has but if I can find an abortive, then I'll search to the ends of the earth. If Tincture does not work, then I'll be all over another kind of forums. A good parent can never stop trying to help his son.

He has a legitimate reason to use this which has been proven to work for some with this ailment when no other substance seems to work. Of course it's not legal so we have to hide in the shadows in order to have a more fulfilling life.

The side effects are you have a stoned son, but I'll trade that any day for one wincing in pain.

Thanks for remembering us.
    Joe

18. I have also read to heat it in the oven at 325 to dry it out before starting the whole procees.

19. The beauty of tinctures is you can dose almost when ever, where ever you want.