Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can I get a MMJ license in WA for bipolar disorder?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by felinegreenies, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Two weeks ago, I was prescribed a medication called Lamictal in order to treat my suspected bipolar disorder. I have been suffering from severe depression for years now and have been treating it through antidepressants and therapy. But only recently have I started visiting a psychiatrist who believes my depression is more manic, hence prescribing me the Lamictal for the maintenance treatment of my manic episodes. I've tried taking Lexapro, Prozac, and Abilify, none of which effectively made me feel better for a long duration of time. The only medicine which I believe brings me to balance is marijuana. My therapist, on the other hand, believes that my marijuana usage is not healthy. I smoke everyday multiple times, smoking around 1-2 grams a day.

Now.. two weeks ago, I was prescribed to the Lamictal. The only problem was that I could not afford it. I recently went on a manic money spending binge, and now have no money. I also had no money to buy pot, so I thought it might be a good idea to follow the advice of my psychiatrist and therapist and stop smoking in order to assess my mental state without the influence of the mind-altering plant.

This was a bad idea. I failed to attend my daily therapy sessions. I failed to show up for work, and I am now under the risk of being fired. I'm bed bound. I can't sleep at night (as I type this at 3:30 am), and I can't wake up in the morning. I can't function nearly at the level I was able to even when I felt depressed. This that I am feeling right now is worse than depression. I feel angry. Tears are streaming down my face. I want to punch my pillows and destroy things. I NEVER feel like this. I am usually a very calm person, and anger is a very rare emotion for me to feel (which probably in turn is not healthy either). Especially when there is nothing in particular to be angry or frustrated about.

I am so sad and hopeless. Is this what manic depression does to people who don't smoke pot?!? If so... is there any way I can get a MMJ license to treat my bipolar disorder?

I'm a WA state resident. I don't believe bipolar disorder falls into the category of diseases and disorders treatable by marijuana under the state law. Unless I say that I have trouble eating when I'm sober. Which I do. But is there a way that I can find a doctor who will legitimately look at my situation with my manic depression and tell me that I have the right to treat myself with medical marijuana?

Is there scientific evidence that marijuana affects manic depression?

Please help me. I hate feeling this way. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow, but I'm very scared as to what to tell him. I'm scared that he will reject my wanting to be treated medically with cannabis. Does anybody know if the THCF offers medical visits and special exceptions to the state law under specific circumstances? Is there a way that I can get a license through my difficulty of eating, although I am not anorexic or bulimic? I am very much underweight (5'5'' 105 lbs). Does this qualify?