How long can you keep a mother plant in the veg. stage?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Mileslocman, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Hello again GC it's Miles with another experimental grow question!

How long can you keep a mother plant in the veg. stage?

Will leaving a plant in the veg. stage for an extended period of time (let's say 3 + months) cause problems. Or am i just over thinking my plans again?

2. Can easily do 3 months. I've heard of people who made it a few years before their mother eventually began to produce THC-less clones.

The suggested mother life is around 9-12 months, then you'll want to do a refresh from seed again if possible.

3. i couldnt find it in black and white anywhere for some reason thanks big time

4. Np. I know what you mean too. Seems like there is super obvious information that should be out there everywhere but you really have to search for random tid bits once in a while. Good luck.

5. Ten years or so :cool:

6. if the conditions are perfect, you can keep her as long as you like as long as you keep her on 18+ hour of light and dont let her get rootbound.
    i've never heard of a mother loosing potency through her clones, as her DNA is still there, and it will be passed on to her clones.
    i maybe wrong, i've never had a mum for that long.

7. The key is to keep them healthy. No degradation.

8. I know of labs in BC keeping clone mothers for 15 years! As long as you keep it healthy and in the veg. stage then you are all set. They wont lose potency as long as you dont set them into flower.

9. You might have a point with the root bound and stress factor.