Cloning from a single leaf??

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by selfmedication, Mar 2, 2009.

1. My friends grandpa swears up and down you can clone from a single marijuana leaf, by providing rooting gel and a rockwool cube..I've never heard of this, can anyone give me some more info about this.
    Possbile or not?

2. Yes it's possible. You can do it to non-cannabis plants, I don't see why not.

I've plucked a tiny flowering nug from a friend's plant and floated it in my fish tank, it grew roots but was toppled later and drowned. It can happen, but I'm sure you might need to try like 10 leaves for 1 to work.

3. It may be possibleto get some rots to grow but with out a node then I dont see how it would grow into a real plant

4. There is a method of cloning that is done under laboratory conditions calledPlant tissue culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Whereby clones can be created with plant tissue material, however I have never heard of cloning a single leaf.
    I agree that you need at least a node to create a viable clone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stem cuttings, root cuttings, leaf cuttings, lead-bud cuttings, grafting, layering, tissue culture..

Utilize google, or better yet take a propagation course. Theoretically all you need is a single cell to reproduce an entire plant.

6. Tell your friend's grandpa to lay off the tonic wine.

You can not clone cannabis with only a leaf. Anyone who says you can is sending you after a left-handed metric Crescent wrench.

7. #7 ricard0, Mar 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009

Ya, tissue culture cloning is nothing new. It's more commonly referred to as micropropagation in the commercial agricultural industry and is something quite unique but it's not really like taking a regular cutting either, much less trying to root a single leaf. Single-Leaf cuttings sounds like an interesting challenge. :wave: good luck.

EDIT: Oh yeah. You don't need laboratory conditions to micropropagate plants via tissue cultures. But you do have to pay close attention to your environment and your actions during the processes, otherwise contamination is quite easily achieved.

8. A leaf will root but it will not grow into a full plant. It dies after a while.

[​IMG]

9. I dont think a standard leaf will ever form anything other than roots

but I would be curious to see what happens with the leaves that bud late in flower....they might be more clonable :)

10. How about that guy who had the bud growing off his fan leaves? Wonder if they would grow vegetatively if you cloned them? :)

11. "heellloooo helllooo helloo hello"

wow, theres an echo in here

12. I was actually replying to your post. I didn't realize that's what you were referring to, friend :) I thought you were talking about sugar leaves (late in flower), not specifically those that produced bud.

13. its ok man, im just fuggin around

but yeah, i was referring to fan leaves that form seed bracts late in flower

14. i think your grandpa probably meant "the clone only needs one leaf to live"....
    i can see how it could root. but its not in (weed atleast) its genetics to be able to sprout a new stem from a leaf. 1 leaf and a stem however is very easy.

15. i have tried it and it does not work. i have had successful clones from the normal way but not from a single plucked leaf

16. I am sorry to sound irritated. that said-

YOU CANNOT GROW A PLANT (MMJ) FROM A FUCKING LEAF!!!

I 'grew' (and by grew i mean never cultivated) a leaf for 2 months in an ez cloner and you know what i got? (and ill prove it with a pic... as soon as i put money on my phone..) I got a leaf with a 24+" root, 3/8s inch around. and just a fucking leaf. so there

• Like Like x 2

17. You might want to ease up a little...

To OP:

I have always taken cuttings from small shoots, never from a leaf.

-C

18. I think we already established you couldnt grow a full plant, but that a leaf can root.

19. #19 noboody, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2009

Attached Files:

20. Try reading the second paragraph, or realizing this is off topic
    i was discussing leaf-clones, not tissue-clones. but for the sake of your argument, the second paragraph has this following sentence in bold print: . None of the treatments tested were successful in promoting plantlet regeneration. so Bah! But it is possible now with the brand new kits they have for giant greenhouse/labs.

[quote name='noboody']k heres the thing what can be done and whats practicle to do are 2 diffrent things heres some PTC (Plant Tissue Culture) pics the tissue was from a portion of the leaf. the pic came from Cannabis Plant Tissue Culture[/QUOTE