Cardboard box grow room

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by ghsbum08, Feb 20, 2009.

1. I was on youtube tthe other day and i watched this guy make a grow box out of cardboard and i thought that would be a cheap and simple set up. And i was wondering has anyone done that , that could maybe help me out because i have never grown before. thanks

2. NO. Terrible idea. Not only is it going to be near impossible to seal,a nd keep clean, and work with since its so weak, You run the huge risk of a fire hazard. Think about it. you have lights inside there that are on for 18+ hours a day, sometimes 24 hours a day for weeks at a time. DO NOT use cardboard. You are only asking for trouble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. what if you put foil around the cardboard and tape sticks to the board for support?

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. NO. Terrible idea. Not only is it going to be near impossible to seal,a nd keep clean, and work with since its so weak, You run the huge risk of a fire hazard. Think about it. you have lights inside there that are on for 18+ hours a day, sometimes 24 hours a day for weeks at a time. DO NOT use cardboard. You are only asking for trouble.

Yes, thats the same thing I said before. Seriously. When you get home and your house is in crispy little pieces on the ground because your cardboard piece of crap caught fire, you will have alot more to worry about.

• Like Like x 1

5. i see what you're saying, but what if one was to use cardboard the way the op is saying, with foil and extra support, but whilst using LED's to grow with...this would work fine :cool:

6. I don't know man. I mean I can see what you are saying. I have seen one other person pull it off... I just didn't want to encourage it. Does not sound like a safe or good idea at all, and for like 20 bucks you can get the plywood and 2x4's to make a regular box. Then everything thats going inside it you would have bought anyway for the cardboard setup.

In the end you are going to benefit a lot from doing it correctly. You are better able to control everything, make improvements, and make it as safe as possible. I strongly advise against cardboard. But if you must, then go for it. I don't agree with it but whatever.

7. I mean its not like i wanna grow 100 plants i only want to grow maybe 6 at the max.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Lol if you wanna grow 6 plants you cant use cardboard man. You'll need at least 400w for that which means CFL or HPS. I've given you the advice man, if you dont take it then plan on something going wrong.. Its alot easier to drop 20 dollars then to watch your house burn down cause you fucked up.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. think how mad your parents will be when they get a call from the FD saying thier house burnt to the ground.

Seriously people need to use thier head and think about stuff...you want to put a hot light source in a cardboard box, you dont see the danger with that? Tin foil wont do anything but make hot spots on the cardboard, increasing the danger of fire.

Use common sense.

_numb_

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. watch this video and tell me if he is smart or not.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANvRXwJSUKc"]YouTube - my stealth grow box part 1/building the box[/ame]

11. well I would say his is well thought out,except the lighting cause that bulb will produce little to no bud...but I still think cardboard is a bad choice for a grow box, to many problems could happen(mold,fire coming to mind). But in the end your going to do what you want, just like many would do. Hopefully it works out great for you.

Good luck on the future grow,
    _numb_

12. I'll admit i have use a cardboard box with 4- 18inch flouro's never burnt the place down...but i dont recommend it........

use an old wood cabinet or dress....much sturdier and less chance of fire.

13. #13 anarchris, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2011
    Code:

flash point of cardboard is around that of paper, about 420 F (lol more like 430 but i like 420). If you have it ventilated, especially with a cool tube you will be completely safe. The biggest issue would be structural stability, which could be easily fixed with a frame, maybe out of pvc or some wood. And on top of that line it with some mylar to be absolutely in the clear of any hazard. Remember mylar is whats used in fire blankets. Fire's wouldnt be caused by lights anyway since you aren't going to be able to grow if its staying hot--it would be faulty wiring causing heat spots, like from home made ballasts.

Plus its easier to seal off air flow in a box to help keep smell filtered.

Cardboard has my seal of approval, just make sure it has support, good air flow, and keep it clean :).

14. I'm currently growing in a cardboard box with aluminum foil 6500k 2x 100watt lighting. Organic compost.

Attached Files:

15. Pick up a tent for 80.00.....and if u can't afford that then u shouldn't be growing....not trying to be rude, but growing isn't cheap....from seeds, grow area, equipment, soils, nutes, more expensive electric bill...all kinds of variables ....I would never recommend a cardboard box grow, especially 6 plants....I mean do u even realize how big of an area u need to grow and flower 6 plants? If your mind is made up, just do your research and use caution....good luck whatever u decide

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. How big is this cardboard box you have that can support 6 plant?!?!? ffs:lmafoe:

17. Cardboard here. Seems safe as long as u arnt dumb with wiring. My LED light will shipping in monday and ill be up an going

20170603_230226.jpg