What's for dinner?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by oldskoolgrower, Feb 19, 2009.

1. do you ever get hang overs from the sangria due to the high sugar content that usually accompanies most sangria recipes that Ive came across? white or red?

2. #10122 Carne Seca, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014

I used white and chunks of watermelon with the rind and chilled it overnight. Then I added champagne before serving.  The only sweetener I used was the watermelon.

addendum:

I had a bunch of almost overripe tomatoes so I decided to make a tomato bisque last night.  I cooked minced bacon in butter then removed the bacon using a slotted spoon.  I added chopped celery, onions, carrots and minced garlic to the bacony butter and cooked them until they were tender to the touch.  I added 5 tablespoons of flour while stirring for about 3 to 4 minutes to make sure the flour was fully incorporated.

Previously I had blanched and peeled the tomatoes which I added to the mixture along with chicken broth.  I made a spice bundle of parsley, thyme and bayleaf and tossed it in.  I lowered the heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes.  After that I removed the bundle and let the soup base cool and then pureed the mixture. I returned the soup to the stove on medium heat and whisked in some heavy cream, salt and pepper to taste.   voila! she is done!

To serve I added the bacon bits as garnish with a dollop of Crème fraîche and chives.  I made three cheese grilled sandwiches using focaccia bread to accompany the soup.  The dessert was blackberry cobbler topped with hand-cranked vanilla ice cream.  The beverage was fuck-it-drink-what-you-want.  I had a nice glass of apple ale from a local brewery.    

3. a la-zone-ya calzone and bruschetta sticks :yummy:

4. I made ground beef soft shell tacos tonight with chili pequin salsa, guacamole and refritos.  

[​IMG]

We had sun tea for the drink and key lime pie for dessert.  Great meal. :)

5. teriyaki chicken and pork fried rice

6. Barbecue chicken casserole. Make it with some ground chicken, black beans, corn, onions, and peppers, and of course, barbecue sauce, then layer it out with lasagna noodles. Bake it. Add some cheddar cheese on top, then bake it again for a few minutes. Then bake yourself, and enjoy :smoking:

7. Had people over for lunch today.  I made cowboy caviar with black beans instead of pintos, 7 layer nachos, deep fried avocado tacos, mutton ribs cooked over a charcoal grill.  I added wet mesquite chips to add a nice smokiness to the meat.  Kneel-down bread, a fresh garden salsa using jalapenos and habaneros, fry bread and dark chocolate chili ice-cream for dessert.   Watermelon lemonade was the beverage.  I had pictures but my memory card died and lost everything on it. :(

8. Last night I made shrimp ramen pouches.   I had to buy the noodles because I suck when it comes to pasta.  The ingredients for the soup are onions, garlic, scallions, ginger, mushrooms, bean sprouts, chili pequin flakes and a soft boiled egg (after the ramen is cooked in an aluminum foil pouch in the oven at 400 degrees).  For the broth I used soy sauce, vegetable broth, sesame oil and  mirin (a type of rice wine that is lower in alcohol and higher in sugar content). 

You stack the ingredients starting with the noodles on the bottom in the aluminum foil pouches.  Once that's done pour the broth over it divided evenly among pouches.  I made four pouches.  Leave a small opening at the top of the pouches to allow steam to vent and place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.  voila she is done.  I also made some shrimp and pork dim sum for appetizers with a sweet and spicy dipping sauce.  Dessert was cheesecake with a berry compote topping.  The beverage was warm Sake.  yum. 

9. Chicken sandwich. . I'm not that hungry tonight been baking cakes all day

10. dominos pacific veggie thin crust no olives yes jalapeno

11. wanted to try to make some steak sushi, twas a success <3

15275_10204736546794507_7535628642825172259_n.jpg

12. Decided to do a little surf and turf..

Skirt steak marinated with teriyaki glaze.. fresh shrimp tossed in salt, pepper, and olive oil

Attached Files:

13. #10133 Cereal Killer, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2014
    Wife is making beef stroganoff  :love:

With onions, carrots, asparagus, and a hell of a lot of mushrooms! I really like mushrooms  :yummy:

14. #10134 littlemisspuffit, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2014
    a very messy, very delicious, very spicy tuna salad sandwich on focaccia bread with asiago
    featuring craisins and pecans
    and jalapeno kettle chips
    with rum and coke
    is that weird? it's amazing.

15. sweet jesus this page just made me hungry as fuck.

16. Country Style Ribs with plenty of Barbecue Sauce
    and some Roast Potatoes

17. The kids are back from spending the weekend with their cousins.  We made individual pizzas.  I let them choose their own toppings.  I have come to realize these kids are twisted little monsters.  I had to talk my nephew out of making a pb&j pizza.  ::shudder::

I baked some breadsticks and whipped up a garden salad to accompany the pizza. I made watermelon tea again for the beverage.  They love it.  No dessert.  They are overdosing on halloween candy.  No need for more sweets.  o_O

18. Broccoli and onion quiche with a Parmesan garlic mashed potato crust.  

19. Serving up some sloppy joes tonight.  The kids love my recipe.  I made curly fries with a fry sauce to accompany and corn on the cob slathered in butter.  Dessert will be fruit salad with marshmallows and the beverage is iced herbal peach tea.   We're about to sit down and stuff our gobs.  

20. #10140 littlemisspuffit, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
    Hell yeah you jelly of my pb and jelly. Strawbury