Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

Peat moss: warning!

• Please log in to reply

Corto Malteze

Corto Malteze

Night grower

• Gold Member
  • 5,879 posts

Edited by Corto Malteze, 19 February 2009 - 03:11 PM.

FLjester

FLjester

• Registered Upgraded
  • 789 posts
Peat is kinda lame for outdoor grows, even mixed with perlite/sand it can still cause soil to be muddy and retain to much water, plus the more it rains the more acidic your soil will become from the peat. I prefer a good compost mixed with some normal soil that isnt peat based and some sand. Its a very cheap outdoor growing medium, and depending on what fertilizers you use it can be all Organic. Here in Florida the soil is already acidic so you don't want to add anything else acidic to your soil, MJ can look perfectly fine and then the PH can change just a little and your plants start changing colors and falling to the ground. Not a very pretty thing to come to at your plot.

Corto Malteze

Corto Malteze

Night grower

• Gold Member
  • 5,879 posts

Edited by Corto Malteze, 19 February 2009 - 04:33 PM.

FLjester

FLjester

• Registered Upgraded
  • 789 posts
yea 25% should be fine, and it really only creates acidic problem in areas where it rains a lot and the acidic peat water sits on the plants roots, other than that it is a very good water retainer and much less expensive than vermiculite. Many people use 20-25% in their outdoor grows with no problems, but where i live the soil is already acidic and I don't want to risk poisoning my babies.I would suggest adding lime to your soil mix, it helps keep the acidity level down just in case. I add lime everytime just in case

Dawg2k7

Dawg2k7

• Registered Upgraded
  • 333 posts
I wonder if the peatmoss in my soil is the reason why my seedling keep slow dying after the frist week of growth they just go down hill. They start nice and green and grow decent for about 4-5 days then start to yellow browning slow growth stunted growth.

Corto Malteze

Corto Malteze

Night grower

• Gold Member
  • 5,879 posts

Dawg2k7

Dawg2k7

• Registered Upgraded
  • 333 posts
So whats the best seed starting soil i can get from walmart or home depot or something?

Corto Malteze

Corto Malteze

Night grower

• Gold Member
  • 5,879 posts

jmoney989

jmoney989

J jeezy

• Registered Upgraded
  • 252 posts
wat if u ad lime dust to your peat based potting soil. If u were in florida.

jmoney989

jmoney989

J jeezy

• Registered Upgraded
  • 252 posts
so far I have germed in peat pellets and planted in potting mix with forest compost, peat,perlite,and sand

ocitown

ocitown

Compliant420Grower

• Gold Member
  • 7,400 posts

ElDiablo

ElDiablo

Med grower

• Registered Upgraded
  • 707 posts
Peat is no good with my red clay soil. I use mushroom compost, goat manure, and perlite.

Guest_Mr. Stinky_*

Guest_Mr. Stinky_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In
lots and lots of lime is necessary in peatmoss. its only 3-4.5ph... i put 4 heaping cups in 2cf of peat.

jmoney989

jmoney989

J jeezy

• Registered Upgraded
  • 252 posts
dam thats a lot of lime I think that would def fuck stuff up:devious:

ocitown

ocitown

Compliant420Grower

• Gold Member
  • 7,400 posts

Corto Malteze

Corto Malteze

Night grower

• Gold Member
  • 5,879 posts

Edited by Corto Malteze, 20 February 2009 - 11:45 AM.

• fishrealhigh and Elibrium like this

Guest_Mr. Stinky_*

Guest_Mr. Stinky_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In
i use pulverized dolomite lime. its a fine dust. 4 bucks for a 50lb bag. it seems to work pretty much right away. im sure it keeps working and stabilizes later on, but straight peat will kill tomatoes and MJ within a week, and my peat mixed with lime grows nice straight (no twist or spotting) plants. its a cheap way to grow if you dont want tto foot the bill for promix...i think, anyway

i also add ash of a couple different sources. i know a guy with a corn burner, and i use his ashes. they are definitely the best for growing plants in. a cup of corn ash in a gallon of 6.8ph water will raise the ph off my scale...over 9.2...so its pretty strong. i just spread the wood ashes in the garden.

Corto Malteze

Corto Malteze

Night grower

• Gold Member
  • 5,879 posts

OldSkool1010

OldSkool1010

Registered Gardener

• Registered Upgraded
  • 2,741 posts

wat if u ad lime dust to your peat based potting soil. If u were in florida.

just want to clear up a misconception...Not all soil in Florida is acidic. I have very base soil down here in Broward county.

Corto Malteze

Corto Malteze

Night grower

• Gold Member
  • 5,879 posts

Edited by Corto Malteze, 10 April 2009 - 05:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users