Native American Stance on Marijuana

Discussion in 'Politics' started by coliebear, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Okanagan Indian by any chance?

2. Buzzkill :(.

Well, I like to use marijuana to explore spiritual aspects of life, and I was hoping Indian tribes would too.

I can see your point though.

3. #23 falcon10911, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2011
    First Nations and Aboriginal Peoples are so diverse this question is like asking the entire Eastern Continent to make a cumulative opinion on same sex marriage.

On another note, Aboriginal people in Canada have a large problem with their youth right now, due to the fact the Canadian government absolutely failed to create an education system for them. For example, there are schools that teach in english up to grade 10, then with their native language further, in the end they do not have a complete grasp on either language and often end up confused as to who they are supposed to be.

Moreover, the barriers between the youth and elders in the communities can be astounding, since aboriginal peoples used worth of mouth to pass on wisdom this language barrier REALLY puts them at a disadvantage. Elders feel they are watching their culture disappear, while youth feel there is barely any culture to learn. The bulk of the aboriginal youth are also ages 11-22, which sets up their generation for very hard times in the next century unless we as outsiders can give them what they need to revive their legacies..

4. im 100% lakota sioux/cheyenne,,,,,,,marijuana was never used by the plains people or the tribes in the southwest,peyote was used by some of the southwest tribes in ceremony,,marijuana use is rampant on the rez's among the young,the pine ridge rez is the poorest place in the united states of america,there is no ( stance ) about marijuana ,,they are more worried about the next meal,,alcohol is the big thing among the natives.it is outlawed on most reservations,,its use,sale,possesion ,,

5. I'm pretty sure that if they had it they would simply look at it as another gift from the gods to be used for spiritual or medicinal purposes. They'd also make great use from hemp.

6. #26 falcon10911, Jul 30, 2011
    Just look at what they did with corn! The views of the Aboriginal people here in Canada reflect harmony with nature with focus on rehabilitation and maintenance of the environment. This is also the reason they have such a hard time with the Criminal Justice system, their views and ideals reflect the opposite of ours as a country. Rather than rehabilitation, we focus on retribution and redemption for crimes. Hell, if they had governed us from the start we likely would be using hemp for everything.

7. I've long felt, along with others, that it is discriminatory for one group to be legally permitted to use a psychoactive plant, such as the Indians are allowed to do (but not marijuana) for "spiritual" purposes -but anybody else that does it goes to jail.

8. It may be discriminatory but if it was a hardwired part of your culture, and one of the few things that are allowed to exists within that culture by an overwhelming force..

I believe it's one of those things that should continue the way it has in the past, since if everyone were allowed to use it, it wouldn't have the significance that it is supposed to.

Kind of like how shaman in certain cultures ingest belladonna tea and use the resulting 'spiritual visions' to advocate their opinion on things.

9. #29 tflga, Jul 30, 2011
    My buddy and I are really into the outdoors, and he owns a really neat peace pipe. He decorated it with an attachment he made out of Sinew and feathers from assorted Hawks, turkeys, and owls native to Georgia. We love smoking cannabis and tobacco from this pipe in the middle of the old hardwoods next to the creek..

My friend uncovered this old book in his fathers attic and it turned out to be a book on indians and several hundred methods of hunting, gathering, skills, trade, craftsmanship (Skills), etc. He read to me once in a paragraph a specific tribe would go out and find a set of herbs and weeds from the ground including tobacco, and even the bark off a certain tree (once it's dried and properly cured) the indians would smoke it. I found it most interesting that in this book it mentioned inside a teepee, they would sit in the circle (in some sort of fashion order perhaps) and leave the doorway open, the pipe would be passed around in the rotation of which the sun sets and rises..Or something *like* that.. the pipe isn't allowed to cross over the doorway (the reason for which I cannot remember) but, still a very interesting and neat fact.

All of this is of pure memory (of which is sort of hazy right now), but if anything is incorrect up there please correct it for me. I just was listening to my buddy read over what he had discovered in the book, I found it enlightening to know these things.

10. #30 garrison68, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2011

Well, maybe we should make alcohol illegal for the Indians to have - after all, that's the way it was in the past. If we can't have their intoxicant, then they shouldn't be allowed to have ours.

11. Marijuana is not native to North America. Therefore, it was introduced to this continent by the Europeans. It is not a ceremonial medicine that I am aware of.  I am tsalagi.

12. Guys, there were hundreds of native american tribes each with their own different cultures, practices and pasttimes.

13. Mother Earth is awesome.

Cannabis is the healing plant. And to outlaw war with this giving plant is beyond ridiculously insane. All indigenous people i know love the plant.

14. First off, they are not Indians. And who the fuck would want to smoke peyote if it was legal? Its a cactus if you are so inclined on the experience. Alcohol is legal for all legal age groups due it makes people dumb numb minded

15. Apparently in the 1700s-1800s native americans would come across large marijuana fields near their tribe and used in for "fire wood" and after they realized that the smoke coming off of the "fire" gave them a euphoric feeling and it helped them with meditation and rituals so they would throw a bunch of weed in the fire pit a light it up and just sit around a breath in the heavy smoke and talk about ancient tales of previous chiefs, and talk nature talk about the life of the earth and how we are all one force (thats some true shit). So if the opinion of the native americans havent changed since the 1850s than i feel as if they have a positive feeling towards it.

WTF are you talking about...not Indians? I am NDN....Tsalagi.   Ask any "Native American" if they are NDN....

17. I get were your coming from and i respect that. I am of pitriver decent. Indian was a mistake given to the indigenous people of turtle island. Columbus thought he was in India. Just as "nigga" was adopted, so is NDN and Indians..

18. Europeans brought weed to America? What?

19. What's the problem with that? 

20. I'd also like to hear the opinion of Native Americans on having their land stolen and suffering genocide at the hands of European colonialists.