Welcome to Grasscity Forums - Register now for FREE
Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account

calibrate my scale? what weighs 500g

• Please log in to reply

Just619

Just619

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,943 posts
[quote name='qualitypotlover'][quote name='Just619']Since when do youneed 500g's to calibrate a scale?[/QUOT

some scales have a higher capacity than others[/quote]

can't you get any weight that weighs a certain amount and calibrate it? Why does it have to be 500g? The readout just needs to match the weight

qualitypotlover

qualitypotlover

qualitypotlover

• Registered Upgraded
  • 1,961 posts
i have no idea all i no is thats what it told me to do in the booklet aha

wakemaster17

wakemaster17

Snoochie Boochies

• Registered Upgraded
  • 231 posts

can't you get any weight that weighs a certain amount and calibrate it? Why does it have to be 500g? The readout just needs to match the weight

Some scales can only be calibrated with the maximum capacity. His maximum capacity happens to be 500g. I was in the same situation a couple months ago with my old scale.

adam1120

adam1120

• Users Awaiting Validation
  • 1,032 posts
Lol do the guys who it says pass. It says pass for any weight above 400 gs I believe just means its not.accurate lol

Tihspeed

Tihspeed

master bator

• Gold Member
  • 9,242 posts

adam1120

adam1120

• 1,032 posts
But doesn't throw off the weight? A lil bit?

Teed Woker

Teed Woker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 838 posts
Please realize that every nickel or penny doesn't weigh the same. I just tested it and nickels came in anywhere from 5.05-5.09 and pennies were closer to 2.52. Idk. I guess if you had a scale that weighed only to the tenth gram it wouldn't matter.

Edited by Teed Woker, 15 January 2012 - 09:24 PM.

adam1120

adam1120

• 1,032 posts

Please realize that every nickel or penny doesn't weigh the same. I just tested it and nickels came in anywhere from 5.05-5.09 and pennies were closer to 2.52. Idk. I guess if you had a scale that weighed only to the tenth gram it wouldn't matter.

Should weight them again. Penny from 1969+ is 2.2 grams before i1969 its 2.6...... Nickels same bit don't now the year thery changed

Codymcc2

Codymcc2

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
A box of arm and hammer baking soda (full) is 500 grams

kgeorge

kgeorge

• Registered Upgraded
  • 270 posts
...or a calibration weight works well!

Teed Woker

Teed Woker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 838 posts

Should weight them again. Penny from 1969+ is 2.2 grams before i1969 its 2.6...... Nickels same bit don't now the year thery changed

Yes, but the coins can become dirty or worn down over time, therefore changing the weight. It may be a very small amount, but when calibrating, you need an exact weight to make the scale do its best.

Just get a 500g calibration weight or use someone else's. They really ain't that expensive.

KravenOne

KravenOne

• Registered Upgraded
  • 225 posts
I don't get h ow the scales that dont have a calibration setting stay accurate and if they do why do we need to calibrate these scales? I used a small bottle of pepsi and i put in water to be close cause the bottle said like 596 or something and i calibrated with less or more water until 1 nickle was 5 grams. I don't need it perfect just close and it worked well.

Tihspeed

Tihspeed

master bator

• Gold Member
  • 9,242 posts

kayakush

kayakush

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,355 posts

I think its time to calibrate my scale but i dont have a weight. Can anyone think of something that is 500g exactly. I heard 100 nickels but im not sure.

100 nickels

dirtridge

dirtridge

It's Otis! He loves us!

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,976 posts

Yes, but the coins can become dirty or worn down over time, therefore changing the weight. It may be a very small amount, but when calibrating, you need an exact weight to make the scale do its best.

Just get a 500g calibration weight or use someone else's. They really ain't that expensive.

You also have to consider that the last number on a scale isn't a weight, it is a mathematical guess.

Get a 500g calibrating weight.

Teed Woker

Teed Woker

• Registered Upgraded
  • 838 posts

You also have to consider that the last number on a scale isn't a weight, it is a mathematical guess.

Get a 500g calibrating weight.

True, forgot to mention that. On scales that measure to .1, it is for the most part +/- .1g, and on .01 scales its usually +/- .01 or .02

cali13

cali13

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

100 nickles?

wat if u but more then 500g will it still pass it?

speedbullet2

speedbullet2

• Registered Upgraded
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I used a bottle of bbq sauce weighs perfect now im amazed ?!?!?! it said 496g in the weight at the bottom of the bottle label in the front kraft brand from wal-mart , i weighed a twenty dollar bill at 1.0g perfect and a nickel at 5.0g perfect!

Edited by speedbullet2, 30 November 2012 - 09:51 PM.
Added more is all

Tomason

Tomason

• Registered Upgraded
  • 4,661 posts

I used a bottle of bbq sauce weighs perfect now im amazed ?!?!?! it said 496g in the weight at the bottom of the bottle label in the front kraft brand from wal-mart , i weighed a twenty dollar bill at 1.0g perfect and a nickel at 5.0g perfect!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if it was 496 isntead of 500g the scale will have accepted that. Now your scale will probably be a bit off, but since its 4g@500g so ruff 1/100 it will only change your weed in the dime bag area with 0.99 instead of 1.00 which will probably end up as being displayed as 1.00. I hope I didn't fuck up on the math, but when you weigh bigger weight on the scale the displayed error will become bigger and bigger. :smoking:

grass man420

grass man420

Bong Mania

• Registered Upgraded
  • 3,217 posts

yeah a nickel weighs 5g and a penney weighs2.5g or you can jsut use a weight from some fishing gear

fishing gear weight is the best idea. just use some math for it

they sell actual metal things at head shops for calibrating scales. i got a few of them they're like a few bucks each or something.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users