UVB lights?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 13ronin, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Hmmm... maybe that's why those Sherpas are always so bronzed :smoking:

2. Thanx for your input budbeans. :wave:

That's quite interesting. You mean you figured this out without a degree in Botany and a Gas Chromatograph? No way. Certainly your skills of observation fail you. LOL <--- End Sarcasm

I've been saying it. I'll keep saying it. The folks who are out there actually applying these techniques and/or observing the phenomena in nature (in places some only read about), are more likely to have a handle on this than subject than most..... including myself. This guy is offering 1st hand, regional data. Again, that's where the rubber meets the road IMO.

The merits, or lack thereof, of any scientifically applied principal are no less valid because we humans lack the understanding to explain it beyond all doubt.

Let's remember folks, we as humans are still an infant species, but a speck on the timeline of the earth and cosmos. While some won't be satisfied as to the size of the sun without 6 days and 7 nights in a solar flare with Stephen Hawking, most of us are perfectly content to agree with the learned majority.

I have a feeling we haven't heard the last from our resident "Rhodes Scholar " on this subject, but hopefully we have heard the last of his outward cynicism. :)
    -Peace

3. The smooth, almost velvet-like smoke that UVB brings to the table is worth every penny. :smoke:

Cheers.

-wG

4. [quote name='ricard0']Thanx for your input budbeans. :wave:

That's quite interesting. You mean you figured this out without a degree in Botany and a Gas Chromatograph? No way. Certainly your skills of observation fail you. LOL <--- End Sarcasm

---------
    you are well come

and yes i have not a degree at all
    shame on me:D

but sure i like good bud
    all the time

it is not possible to describe the filling of waking up in the morning
    and see so much of it all around

just out the window of my house .

i can give some more info .
    not about uv
    but
    ever heard oF jungly
    now i do not know if the english spelling is correct
    but it refere to a type of cannabis that

no one ever planted

i mean it is the real thing

it grows like wild grass
    and are the best
    natural, like mother nature made it

it grows in impossible location

same time it grows in places where you would never imagine

like in places where there is not water or any other tipe of vegetation or in cliffs

not in field but isolated

what i mean is only one plant

it could sound like nothing
    but how it happened that a cannabis seed traveled so far from other plants?

where actually there is not plants at all
    only a bit of dirt with rocks all over the place.

how i explain it to my self and i do not know if i am right
    but it is the only way i can see it happened.

some animal a bird probably ate the seed and shit it out there
    and the seed survived the stomach acid and hit and got the power to grow out of the nutrition from the shit of the animal it self.

what a power
    is in it?

i smoked some resin out of that type of plants

and it is different from the bagija meaning plantation plants
    planted by humans

in what way ?

if i want to be relaxed to the point to be sleepy i smoke bagija
    if i want to walk around the forest
    or down in the village

then jungly

a little bit like indica sativa
    but i am not talking about smoking the plant
    i am talking about smoking the resin

in this part of India cannabis plant do not get smoked it is kind of a bed thing to do

for Lord Shiva

the Indian god that planted the first cannabis seeds in this planet ,this is their belives

it is not good to kill the plant
    people and me included gently rub the plant with the palms of the hands

after a bit you accumulate the resin
    and you smoke it.

but i am not a religious person i just do in India like the Indian do aut of respect.
    this goes on from September to end of October some time
    the first 2 weeks of November

betwine the rain and the snow

and from green everything turn white :wave:

5. [quote name='masterofthebong']im going to try to grow for my first time and i was wondering will a norm. light bulb work cause i dont have grow lights:confused: plz answer as soon as possible[/q4uote]

buy those light
    [​IMG]

4 or 5 you can veg one plant 75 w each cost 10 $ for all but flowering is a different thing

600 w [​IMG] is what i use sodium
    have fun

6. This is one of the most epic threads I have yet come across for weed-related discussion. What ever happened to the original participants?

Also, I am petrified that this information will be lost to time. A shame it was never stickied (that I'm aware of)

Where is Amoril?

7. Some of us are still subscribed :wave: if for nothing more than a good chuckle.

I don't think the threads go away unless the server does. At least i hope they don't have a shelf life. :eek:

amoril can be found manning his own journal ---> http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-g...cab-master-kaze-test-grow-mns-shantibaba.html pursuing his own UVB data while maintaining aº of luck not shared by most of us. Damn... bean tester. lol

Stop buy and give him round of applause for sharing with the city :wave:

8. Yes after posting that I see he's still here and there on the board.

Thanks

9. #189 Rolling Thunder, Sep 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
    Hello to all GC members! This is my first post here, on this forum. As many have already observed, this is a very informative thread, indeed! And it succeeded at hooking me into registering for a user account. If I may, I'd also like to put out a request for the link to the earlier referenced thread containing the data on Sam the Skunkman's UV-B supplementation trial(s)?

It'll take me some time to review the entire thread, in far greater detail, in order to formulate relevant questions and coherent comments, but in the mean time, I'd just like to thank 'budbeans' for his first hand account of the difference that altitude appears to make in the vegetative growth of the plant and its trich production.

I am personally reluctant, however, to attribute the reduced size of the plant, grown at 3500 metres above sea level, merely to the higher level(s) of uv alone! I have heard of mountain grown sativas, for example, grown at a considerable altitude, which averaged 20 feet in height, and some even closer to 30!

One example is the pure Vietnamese sativa known as Da Lat. Da Lat itself is situated 1500 metres above sea level, and this pure sativa is cultivated in the Da Lat highlands (or moiuntains), or at another 1000-1500 metres above sea level, in a very secluded region that is barely accessible to modern forms of transportation. At the time 'Di Wee Da Lat' discovered the place, back around 1970, during the warring times, it was only accessible to him by helicopter.

My point is that the higher altitude, and increased uv-b level, does not appear to have negatively impacted the vegetative growth of pure mountain grown Da Lat sativa, in comparison to other pure sativas grown in the lowlands, at sea level. Another example of a pure highland sativa, that grows to mamouth proportions, is the pure sativa side (parent) of the GHS Himalaya Gold hybrid. Read the breeder's description of that particular strain, and how big it grows in its natural habitat and elevation, way up there in the mountains?

Still, it seems very possible that excessive uv-b may contribute to reduced size (yield), which the indoor grower should keep in mind. This is one reason why some growers choose to supplement with uv-b only in the last two or three weeks of flowering, or after the plant appears to have considerably slowed in its growth, and is not likely to put on much more weight. However, it's also entirely possible that with increased CO2 levels, there will be a negligible difference in yield, it terms of losses. It is likely the yield will still be better if the CO2 levels are increased to 1000 ppm at 30-60w of light/sq ft; and 1000-2000 ppm between at 60-100w/sq ft.

Last, but not least, here is a link to yet another journal article, complimentary to the others already posted (on page 8 of this thread: The Effect of Ultraviolet Radiation on the Accumulation of Medicinal Compounds in Plants. :cool: And, I should mention that I also appreciated budbean's comments about the 'jungly'. They were very enlightening, to be sure. There is only one problem, though, and that is: How do we get ourselves a 'jungly' clone? :D

10. It occurred to me afterward that there may be a few persons on board here that are yet still unaware of the Himalaya Gold. It is a 60% sativa dom Nepalese hybrid. I'm not entirely sure what the pure sativa parent was hybridized with, to be honest, but it might have been an indica indigenous to India; or to Afghanistan; but an indica nonetheless, though apparently not pure; or the dominance ratio would have been more of a 50:50 mix.

Now, the breeder's "original" strain description appears to focus on the pure sativa side of HG's lineage. You get the sense that it is describing a tree at least 20 feet tall, in its natural habitat; and I've seen photos of pure Nepalese sativas that would support the idea of pure sativas growing to that height, way up in the Nepalese highlands, hidden away from modern civilization, as we know it. - RT

11. Get the ventilator, this thread's got a pulse LOL

How do RT. Wasn't sure i'd ever see this thread bumped again. Glad to see some interest still buzzin' around here.

12. I just sat down and read this whole post in its entirety, and I've got to say, proteus, you got served nika!

13. #193 dragon999, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
    I wanted to rebump this because it was intense. In the end, I decided to add UVB. I have to agree that it's just too much of a coincidence that the best pot in the world came from places that all had high uv/uvb levels. Thailand, mexico, Columbia, etc.. That coupled with all the experienced growers' positive feedback on it. There has to be something to it, can't hurt if its just for a limited period a day like stated.

14. I agree. I had two grows, same genetics, same lights. One was chem ferts with no UV, the other organic soil and UV-b. Obviously the grow medium is a big variable, but the UV crop was very noticeably better.

15. CBF reading all that, doesnt seem relevant, should keep it to educated summary's of derived facts.

if no other research was done to re prove this guy's scientific research and found deductions. clearly his theory works. because anyone who would have followed the teachings, would have discovered something worth keeping quiet. he would have been cleverly riddled man, and i bet he was always high.
    :smoke:

16. Real interesting thread! I heard someone mention @ another forum (Fulvic) "Like I said, I've tried many different methods and nothing has come anywhere close to medical grade narrowband UVB phototherapy lamps." "IME reptile lamps are okay for ripening trichomes, but aren't very effective when it comes to increasing resin production."

He says the Reptisun's radiate @ 14 µW/cm² and the Philips PL-S9W (medical grade) @ over 500 µW/cm². Not sure if he rates the Reptisuns right as someone else stated they are more like 250 µW/cm² (average around equator). This site: UV Lighting for Reptiles: UVB Fluorescent Tubes Test Results states Reptisun is about 35-40 µW/cm². They also state bulbs with the same µW/cm² rating may actually not have the same UVB output!

Most of these UVB reptile bulbs seem to produce from 30-100 µW/cm² so I can see where Fulvic is coming from when he recommends the higher output UVB bulbs.

Well one thing seems to be certain: resin production may go up with UVB, but yields also seem to suffer. That's in the real world outdoors. In a controlled environment, growers using UVB are reporting increased resin and same yields. I guess moderation is the key.

proteus seems smart and has done some research along w/a skeptical mind about the results of UVB. The thing is, so many are reporting good results (with the proper UVB lamps and protocol of using them) that I just can't close my "scientific" eyes and ears over that. There's so many variables on what could work and not work w/UVB (as seen in the back and forth discussions about this).

Me personally I don't use UVB but OF COURSE down the road I'm doing an A/B comparison. ;) Also heard MH (which has some UVB) and HPS combo can produce great results.

17. Some more research (page 61 shows world map UV doses throughout the year): P. Ciren, Z. Li / Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 120 (2003) 51–68

If you are a little confused on conversions with different numbers for UVB radiation such as: kilojoules/square meter (kJ/m²), microwatts/square centimeter (µW/cm²), watts/square meter (W/m²) and watts/square foot (W/ft²), here's all their conversion factors/ratios:

Equatorial average UVB radiation

kJ/m²:\t 8.000
    µW/cm²:\t222.22222
    W/m²:\t 2.22222
    W/ft²: \t 0.20645

18. Wow, well long since dead post. I feel it's the most comprehensive on GC that i could find. Much respect and appreciation for those who took place in this. If anyone can point me to a better thread about this topic , I'd love to read it. I really am most interested in the amount of exposure per day, and the experiments that people have done on it. I've heard it broken down per hour rising up to 30 min per hour of 12/12 at peak daylight time. tapering up and then off again during the day. Yet here i read some are up to 10 hours of a 12 hour day.

Also it's not a link i can pull up. But with enough googling you can find it easy. There was a study done, claimed over the corse of 7 years. That stated the result that the plants put in UVB from seedling / clone showed a much higher increase in THC in the end result than ones that just used it in the flower phase. This seems to support amoril and his sighting of data. Especially the bit about UVB being used to create pre-cursors to the THC pathway. It further explained the claimed results of the study I speak of, which if memory serves, was done in Amsterdam. Id love to hear anyones updated thoughts on this discussion now that a few years have passed since the main discussion died down late 2009. All in all very helpful post, again much respect.

19. I'm using MH lights bare bulb and get UV that way. MH in veg after a few weeks under 6500k T5s and 1:1 MH/HPS in flower. LOVE the results and easier that way too. :D