Natural insecticides and fungicides

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Corto Malteze, Feb 9, 2009.

1. :)Ok listen up everyone You can buy "food grade":cool: Diatomaceous earth cheap and it will control all pests!!:hello:

All I am not kidding. But remember..."Food Grade":D

Not Swimming Pool Grade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
    :gc_rocks:

2. a aerated worm tea can be used as an insecticide from what I have researched. I just sprayed all my plants with my first batch so we will see how it does. ;)

3. iNDEED KEEP US INFORMED:D

4. i heard if you take jalapenos and crush em up and put them in water then spray it on your plant it would stop bugs from chomping on your plant. could this work?

5. Yes - it will work and work very well.

Try and source habanero peppers as they contain more of the 'hot agent' than jalapenos. The hotter the better to kill off insect invaders.

HTH

LD

6. Lumperdawgz,

I use a hot pepper wax spray and it works great anything, that walks or crawls don't like to be around after spraying...Including myself. On the label it has a warning concerning not to apply directly to soil. What exactly would it do if it were to get into soil? I can't imagine earthworms would like it too much, but as far as MO colonies would they be affected by the capsaicin?

It always helps if you were wondering! Thanks again.

PF

7. PF

Is that a commercial product or one that you're making up?

If you're making your own (i.e. adding chili peppers to water and letting it sit for a couple of weeks) then you have no concerns.

If you're using EM-1 to make an FPE (fermented plant extract) then you're still okay, i.e. there's nothing that will negatively impact your soil's viability.

If you're using a commercial product then you'll want to look at the list of ingredients to see what's up.

BTW - there is a chili pepper that is either 3 or 4 times hotter than the habanero pepper. One of the names is the 'Ghost Chili' and comes from India. Seeds are available and you might want to get some and grow them out.

They definitely work - on anything crawling, flying, doing summersaults, etc. Wear rubber gloves when handling them - seriously.

LOL

LD

8. Lumperdawgz,

It's from a company called hotpepperwax.com. Are you familiar with them? Label does not get specific, other than .00018 capsaicin and capsaicinoids? and 99.99982 inert ingredients. The label info on their site is PDF, so just in case you don't like downloading them. There is also mention of not letting it contaminate groundsoil as it is harmful to oysterbeds and "aquatic life". Sounds suspect but anyone who has eaten, or touched a cut scotch bonnet/habanero can attest to it's harm to human life.

I saw the ghost chili on one of the food channel shows, I'm afraid to even try. After a run in with a habanero/scotch bonnet pepper years back I refuse to handle them ever again. Even jalapenos make my hands burn for hours.

I was making my own mix at first, but it was just too hot to handle literally for me. This purchased stuff seemed not to choke me as much.

Thanks for the input kind sir,

Farmer.

9. #29 LumperDawgz, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010
    PatriotFarmer

I was/am not familiar with their products. I went to their dealer list and the nursery that carries that product in Oregon is Territorial Seed Company and I've done business with them for over 20 years. Originally it was started by one of the world's leading experts (literally) on organic agriculture processes - Steve Solomon. He's definitely a mentor of mine.

Meaning that if they sell it - it works and has to work well or they won't carry a product.

Territorial Seed Company was one of the pioneers in offering heirloom, open-pollinated seeds. They ship seeds and live plants all over the world.

If you're interested in looking at Steve Solomons work, search with these terms 'steve solomon TOF' - totally organic fertilizer. It was his original work that is the basis of the mineral mix that we buy here as well as the fertilizer/seed meal concoction that we're running.

You're good to go with this product, IMHO. Looking at the label it appears that the level of capsicum is definitely is the 'safe zone' - I have used pure capsicum extract as well as powdered capsicum.

For a comparison, habanero chilis come in at 350,000 on the Scoville Scale. The Red Savina comes in at 580,000 units. The Ghost Chile (aka Dorset Naga) comes in at 970,000. Pure capsicum extract comes in at a whopping 16,000,000 which is 3x the strength used by law enforcement in the pepper spray they carry. [cite]

If you're concerned about the soil you could take a large bath towel and cover the soil before applying. Leave the towel there for 15 or 20 minutes to allow the excess to drip from the leaves and then move to the next plant, etc. Personally, if you have a vibrant healthy soil I wouldn't give it much worry given the low levels of capsicum.

Now if you were using pure capsicum extract then that would be another story. To say the least - LOL

HTH

LD

10. this post is great thank you for the information. there is just 1 question i have though. before i found this website i would search the internet for organic insecticides and the most common one i found was the soap and water method, but i did find one saying that you can sprinkle grounds cinnimon on the leaf of your plant? i had a few plants growing out doors earlier in the year (before they got ripped up) that had little tiny brown bugs on it that were eating the leafs. i sprinkled some cinnimon on it and the next day they were gone. am i just lucky or has anyone else done this with success?

11. Most bugs dislike strong herbal smells. For example, a sachet of bay leaves and lavender in a drawer will keep moths away. Cinnamon will work for some bugs, but don't put a lot of it on the plant.

12. finally started to gain ground on these annoying spider mites, thanks this is gonna save mj:smoking:

13. Will mixing soap n water in a spray bottle and spraying it on my 3-4 week flowerin plant kill caterpillars and will it be safe for the buds?????????

14. #35 proteus patient, Oct 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2010

Grow Room Vs Spidermites

HELP ! I'm relatively new to organics, I've been reading up, preparing to wage WAR on these basterds, I think they hitch hiked into the room, on the one mother from outside that i had to bring in. I quarentened it outside of my closet(which has some baby bag seed), and now some houseplants are dieing off, i guess they have less resistance than MJ.
    But my question was, where you say to strain the cocoction through cheesecolth, Is a coffee filter to small of a filter, or can i just filter it through a T-Shirt streched over a 5 gl bucket?
    Pics to follow, once i get my camera working right - As of now it only wants to take video, no Still shots. Just gotta love technology sometimes.
    thanks for the help
    Peace
    Proteus

ABout hot peppers : I've used "Thai bird" peppers, there are tiny little things but damned hot, i've used them to keep critters (Deer and Rabbits) from eating my plants outdoors, i'll try and find a link to the rating system

http://www.chilipepper.com/ScovilleScale/tabid/59/Default.aspx

According to them, the hottest pepper tested is the "Naga Jolokia" which is anywhere from 3x to 5x more potent than the standard habenero

Habenero = 100,000
    Naga Jolokia = 1,000,000 on the Scoville rating system

15. Depends on what you're applying it with, proteus. Some sprayers have really fine nozzles and get clogged easily, some don't. Using a few layers of cheesecloth or the t-shirt should work just fine. Coffee filters work, but they're a little slower.

16. thanks pinkPipe, I've been sittin debating whether or not the coffee filter is practical and/or if it would filter out the desired "garlic", i guess i'll try for the tshirt over a bucket, and then if it cogs the nozzle i guess i'll try the coffee filter or think up some other half-assed filter. Now i can start getting rid of these basterds,

Another thing, how often should the GarlicTea be applied? does it have any residual
    effects or should i spray every 3-4 days, to kill spidermites and eggs. I see enough eggs to scramble em and have a meal. That makes me wonder, i have a very low strength steamer, designed for steaming curtains, or a hanging Shirt - Now would this kill all the little eggs that are left, or would i be better offf just stickin with the tea. and Yes i know i can't Blast the hell out of them without steam cooking my plants.
    Just a thought
    Thanks again for any and ALL help
    Peace

ProteuS

17. I could be wrong, but I don't think garlic will actually kill them. (Never had spider mites, just other pests. Knock on wood.) Usually this type of spray makes them migrate away from the plant and they'll die from starvation. When I spray with pepper outside, I do it every week or two. If you've got a bad infestation, I'd probably reapply every week, or more often if needed. You'd need to keep up with the hatching cycle.

18. Not sure PRoteus. I suppose you're growing indoors and I've never done so. Garlic and natural insecticides won't hurt but also might not work as good as others. THey're preventive and can help the plant fight off the attack. You should know why the bugs came first. Outdoors a strong plant usually makes it untouched throuht the season. Thanks pinkpipe for help. Good luck.

19. If you have a garden full of vegetables, most likely you can attract a lot of garden pests such as insects, rabbits, worms, etc Veggie Pharm Insecticide Fungicide and biological protect your valuable crop naturally. Other natural oils Veggie Pharm Organic cons work murderer biological pest and fungicide and miticide, completely protect your vegetables from the most common problems. You can use this product freely in fruits and vegetables until the day of harvest.