Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Apprentice Toker's Guide to Bongs

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by sparticus63, Feb 9, 2009.

1. yeah that's true, except i dunno who would make it, i am not experienced enough with all the brands/styles of any of the different smoking methods to write a sticky on them.

but it would be nice:hello:

2. for the different shapes of bongs and the different types of pers

Least Drag
    Beaker
    Bubble
    Straight tube
    Most Drag

For percs

Least drag
    Many arm tree percs, the more arms the better
    Hook Percs
    Dome percs, i personally wouldnt even buy a dome perc they drag alotttt.
    Most Drag

For ash catchers

Least Drag
    Illadelph style inline
    Many stemmed a/c
    Single stem a/c
    Inline a/c
    Most Drag

This is what i can tell from the different peices I have.

Personally i wouldnt go taller then 18" or more then 2 percs or 1 perc with a/c

3. definitely sticky worthy

I was looking for something like this when I first joined. Glad someone took the time to do it well.

4. Edited OP with jeffreATL's information on drag. Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.

5. mad man, real good info

6. The bigger the whole.... the more air moves through it. Hence a pencil size hole will be harder to move air through than say a coke can size hole. Thats why I love my "Wet" Steamroller. Its like a bong on its side that has a rush the size of the tube....

7. im still new to smoking but i definatly prefer a bong over pipe or joint and i wish i had one, the last one broke :(. i checked out a local headshop but the cheapest they had which was 30 bucks was missin the bowl and the next up was 70 bucks im lookin for a price range anywere from free to 50 or 60 bucks tops is that an unreasonable range or should i just keep looking?

8. great guide. i would go online and find vids of bongs with percs and a whole bunch of mess i didnt get. thanks to this, i know what im looing for when i purchase my first bong.

9. #29 b0rn 0f 0s1r1s, Feb 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
    i don't know if it's just me but that list relating to drag seems a bit inaccurate according to my experiences. this is how i'd list it.

Least Drag
    Straight tube
    Beaker
    Bubble
    Most Drag

For percs

Least drag
    Many arm tree percs
    Hook Percs
    Dome percs
    Most Drag

For ash catchers

Least Drag
    inline a/c
    Many stemmed pill bottle a/c
    single stem pill bottle a/c
    Most Drag

for bowls

Least Drag
    pinched bowl
    turbo bowl
    regular single small hole bowl
    Most Drag

for diffusers

Least Drag
    slitted
    D cut
    puncture
    Most Drag

10. Thanks, this was really helpful

11. Agree fully

12. anyone ever hear of pulling the downstem out to clear a bong hit ?

13. Um, I am pretty sure the downstem is attatched to where you cant use it as a slider, unless your slider broke, you don't have money and rig it up. When i tried rigging, it never ammounted to anything worth even using. I ended up just buying another slider. When someone mentioned why bongs clear better with sliders, than if the bong had a carb, i would say its because of there is more of a water/air flow. Usually carbs are small. Who knows i could be wrong.

14. Because you just want to inhale the air that's in the bong, and with a hole letting more air in the smoke is more diluted, and it takes longer for you to "clear" the bong of smoke.

15. nice guide.... gotta teach that ettiquete.

16. haha yes

17. What type of glass for bongs should I stay away from when buying a bong and what are hard to break kinds of glass?

18. I agree fully with this, OP should have this one, not jeff's

generally speaking, the thicker the glass the better off you are. A friend of mine bought the mad scientist (the bong that is almost always featured on GC), which, was a great piece of GonG work. The big problem with it, though, is that the glass is super thin like 3 or 5 mm. I just bought an illadelph straight tube that is 7 or 9 mm thick.While this doesn't sound like a huge difference, it definitely shows. My friend's Mad Scientist broke after two uses while it was in the box, and bubblewrapped. All I can say to you is that if you go to your headshop and find two bongs that you really like, with comparable prices and quality, go for the one that is heavier/has thicker glass.

smoke on
    - J

19. +Reps. sweet, thanks for the info everyone

20. if you need a step by step on how to rip a bong...then..well i dont even know what you should be doing. not smoking probably.