Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by OldPork, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Sky, not sure what you have there and I'm no expert by any means but letting it get soaked seems like a good way to loosen it up some until it's more manageable? Your idea sounds logical to me.

2. So you all are saying I don't have to share any of this?
    índice.jpg

3. You most certainly do not. Is that some kind of weird canadian pie :confused_2:
    What is that? :confused_2:

4. I google searched "pie", cut out the fungus from dumdumdummy's worm bin, and pasted it on top of the pie, lol.

5. YUCK :bolt:
    We should have waited to see if anyone wanted to eat it before you told em it was worm bi muck :laughing: :hide: :laughing:

6. :lol: :lol: there was a time when a "double dog dare" would've gotten me to at least taste it. Worms don't taste near as bad as they look...but worm shit pie? :wacko: :D

7. A book I enjoyed as a child:

[​IMG]

8. This has gone very bad :confused: :cry: :hide:

I thought they were supposed to 'self harvest' or, am I mistaken?

Wet

10. #2490 GiMiK, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
    You simply agitate the bottom material to loosen it up and it falls into the collection chamber below. (OSCR bin)

11. Hey Wet,

I guess instead of self-harvest I should have used "major fallout" as the system dumped a lot of vc all at once. This may have been  due to the environmental condition of the bin, too dry.

As far as harvesting the vc I have always had to help it along with a three-tine hand cultivator.

Sam

12. Let me get off topic here....  is the leachate that drains from my elevated worm bin, so concentrated that it should be mixed with water before adding it to the plants?   If it was added without dilluting, and quite often, could that kill the plant?

The reason I ask is that I just had a batch of clones die on me and I've never had this happen before.  were they too young to receive the worm leachate?

13. #2493 LoneRanger11220, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
    I throw my worm leachate outside in my rose garden, peach tree, etc. I believe at full juice it is definitely too strong, I always dilute mine at a 1:1 or even 2-3:1 ratio before using it.

Im not certain on that, just what ive seen and done from my experience

Edit: Just saw on many websites after googling, say 10:1 ratio on a majority of them

14. Leachate is not a good thing - it's a sign that you have too much water in your food stock. The goal is to maintain a hydration similar to potting soil. 

Worms breathe through their skin and too much water means they can't breathe = death or they try to escape.

HTH

15. This is true. I know my worm factory which is plastic stays more moist just because it doesn't breathe the same. Mine will usually have ~1/4 oz every couple days. I never really have much to throw out

16. I think if you are using it for disposing of your fruit/veg waste that would make sense to have some run off. With those you can't put like cardboard and phone books shredded can you.

How much is not something you can say use this much for this much water. it depends on what it looks like. 1/4oz is not even a tablespoon is it? 3 tbls spoons is an ounce. I would say even if its thick as molasses at such a small amount added to a gallon of water should not hurt a plant even keikis should be fine with that amount. 

Just what I think try using it a couple different ways and see.

17. It's been my understanding that leachate is often full of anaerobic microbes?? I could be wrong but I toss it outside or down the house drain....

18. #2498 over dere, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014

That's true and reason enough to dilute it and hit your trees, flower beds, etc. and not use it on a plant in a container.

2 tablespoons = 1 ounce. You're probably thinking about teaspoons, i.e. 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon

Hey DDD,

I think this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasmodiocarp is what you have growing in your bin.

I was in a store today and picked up a book on mushrooms and other fungus and came across a pic that sparked a memory. I remembered (amazingly) the latin name and here it is.