Having Minor Problems With First Grow (pics)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by heyachaiyya, Feb 5, 2009.

1. #1 heyachaiyya, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    UPDATE: Post 4

hey guys. got a couple questions. I have read many threads here in the past couple days and i have learned lots. you guys have a great thing going here.

some info

using about 400 watts of CFL - Actually using about 200

lights are about a foot away from the plants - About 3 inches now

recently transferred the plants from cups to bigger pots(might have been to early) i think im just gonna start off in a bigger pot next time.

planted the germinated seeds on jan 25 (pictures are from today feb 4th) so about 9 days

seeds are mazarXafghan

have not been using nuts yet.

some parts of the plants are slowly turning yellow. and have tiny white spots on em. (I researched the best i could and found out that it could be grey mold or Botrytis Cinerea) - No more White spots. I think it was from my water.

I water when about the top 3 inches of the soil are dry

the room i am using it in my basement and is very cold. but i have a space heater in there keeping it around 75 degrees. I have poor ventilation the room measurements are about 10x4x9 with no window.

If anymore info is required lemme know that's all I could think of atm lol

couple questions

When should i start using nutrients?

How could i help ventilate the room? just open the door with a fan blowing in or out?

What should i do about it turning yellow and the white spots?

And is it a problem that all my lights are different spectrum's?

I have more questions ill post em when i remember em lol

Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

-Heya

2. You don't have 400 watts of light, you have probably right around 100w. Don't pay any attention to what the package those bulbs came in says about equivalent watts, those bulbs are in the 23-26 watt range (which also would have been on the package). The actual wattage should be printed on the base.

What spectra do you have? You just said that they're all different.

Your sprouts are starting out stretching for light, move those bulbs to about 3 inches away and then add about an inch of soil on top to bury some of the stem. Once they start getting secondary growth you will need more light.

Your air could be too dry from the cold and the heater, its hard to tell in those photos but it looks like some of the leaf tips are dried/burnt. Put a bowl of water in front of the heater to add some humidity (the bowl should be metal, ceramic, something that won't melt or catch on fire).

Wait a bit more to start adding nutes. The first two rounded seeds will turn yellow then shrivel and fall off, that is normal -- what that starts is when you should add first nutes, mix at 1/4 strength.

You are going to need good ventilation, plants need to "breathe" fresh air, so a way for air to flow through there not just open a door once in a while.

3. thanks for the info.

The spectra is 3500 and 5000 on 2 of em. the other one doesn't say on it.

moved the lights and added soil. thanks.

added a humidifier that im gonna run for like an hour a day to make it more humid.

kk what kind of nuts should i get? just a 20-20-20?

the best i can do for ventilation is open the door with a fan in the doorway. no window close to the room :(

thanks for your help though its greatly appreciated.

-Heya

4. #4 heyachaiyya, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    :wave:
    hey guys!Growing so far has been so fun. And it would not have been possible without all of the valuable information ive picked up on grasscity.

4 weeks in now got some updated pictures and a couple questions.

been using 20-20-20 jacks classic fert for about a week every other watering at 1/4 strength.

8 lights now(used to have 3)

Fimmed/topped about 4 days ago.

Is 12-36-14 fertilizer ok for flowering?

When do you think i should switch to 12/12?

Updated Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something wrong with this leaf?

[​IMG]

This one has always been the ugly one. Twisted leafs. just oddly shaped. Any ideas what could be causing it?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any replys.

- Heya

[​IMG]

5. Looking better, less stretching and happier plants.

That 12-36-14 fert is formulated for flowering, should be OK.

I would wait a bit longer to flip to 12/12 -- the more you veg now the more you harvest later.

You may want to try some LST, will improve yield and keep height down.