Using Maple Syrup instead of Molasses?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by billigreen, Jan 29, 2009.

1. I know people who use molasses in their water every other watering during the last 2 weeks of flowering. I understand this technique has been debated before on this site many times.

Regardless of whether or not this process has any benefits or not, I am curious if I could substitute syrup for molasses.

Anyone with knowledge of the subject, I'd love to hear from you.

2. pretty sure this isn't a good idea. At least i'm pretty sure it won't work. I'm not an expert enough to be able to explain why, but hopefully an expert will come in here and clarify the reason why :)

3. I'm not an expert, but I believe that the reason molasses is preferred is that it is a significant source of carbohydrates, as well as vitamins and minerals. Blackstrap molasses is a by-product of the sugar industry, and is the residual product that is left after three refinings of the sugar cane. It contains magnesium, calcium, potassium and iron to name a few, with some of it made with added sulfur.
    I think that the combination of carbs(sugars) and minerals is beneficial in the late flowering stage to add bulk, as there are some similar products marketed for this same purpose. Botanicare Sweet and GH Floralicious Plus come to mind. Molasses is very inexpensive compared to these additives.
    As far as maple syrup is concerned, if you used PURE Maple Syrup, you would get the benefits of the carbohydrates, and the trace minerals it contains. It also contains magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron, zinc, and phosphorus to name a few. So I would assume you could get the same benefits as long as you used PURE Maple syrup. Do not use artificially flavored maple syrup. The problem though, is that molasses is fairly cheap compared to Pure maple syrup, so you might as well use molasses. Pure maple syrup is 4-5 x more expensive than molasses.
    Hope this helps shed some light on your question.......
    chunk

4. #4 nosemonster, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2009
    Maple syrup is sugar+water+maple in a nutshell molasses is the same but from pure sugar cane and minus the maple. I think the vitamin you are using when you use molasses is biotin. Maple Syrup has none of that so it will probably have no effect. This is from wiki:"Beet molasses is limited in biotin (Vitamin H or B7) for cell growth, hence it may need to be supplemented with a biotin source."

Subject link:http://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/202743-molasses-our-plants.html

5. im going to be trying both. i have lots of both. maple syrup (the real stuff not that cat piss they sell at the store) has alot of minerals and plant hormone as well as the carbohydrates... it is quite literally, concentrated plant ffood. its what the tree makes to grow. at the very least, it cant hurt:)

6. #6 bonedaddy4u, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
    Tried it on last crop they luv it, my friend did the same and it seem to have a taste. Going to try a shot on a plant regiment with blind plant same strain:)And a shot of maple syrup in regiment with deferent set and see what happens will post 1week in flower now, but the last crop loved it and will stay in my reg. feeding

7. There's an old expression: the game isn't worth the candle. Meaning: spending time answering this question isn't worth the "dilemma" that the OP is facing. For $2 just go buy some molasses, it's in your grocery store, we don't need to scurry around debating something so small...