Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can you use nail polish remover to clean glass.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Sir Tokes Alot, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I wanna clean my bub and all I got is nail polish remover will the acetone or anythin like mess up or weaken my piece?

2. 90% or higher isopropyl rubbing alcohol is the best. other cleaners can leave residue and chemicals in your piece. go to your local grocery store and near the band aides is isopropyl alcohol. its usually less than $5 and works better then anything

3. I like using in cuz it smells purtty afterwards and is clean as a whistle :D Dont forget about the salt though.

4. just go buy a bottle of 91% alcohol and salt

it wont hurt ur glass tho

5. Acetone wont hurt the glass, but might not be the most effective way to go about it.

6. you can use acetone first but then you wuld have to do a thorough rinse with alcohol and water. Acetone is a much harsher chemical and you don't want to be inhailing it.

7. I only use acetone to clean my glass. However there are some precautions you have to take when using it.

1. Use industrial grade acetone. Do not use nail polish remover cause it has other shit in it. Industrial acetone can be purchased at any hardware store for about 10 bucks for half a gallon.

2. Use in a well ventilated area. Seriously...this isn't the kind of thing you just flip on your bathroom fan for. If you thought the smell of ISO was strong, acetone smells MUCH stronger because it has an exceptionally low evaporation temperature. You will get lung or brain or some other kind of damage if you use this shit for too long in a unventilated area.

3. Rinse a few times when done. After you've poured in the acetone and shaken it a few seconds, there shouldn't be much left to dirty your glass so just pour it out and rinse.

Acetone evaporates extremely quickly so you won't have to worry about smoking it, but you will notice that it seems extremely cold if it comes into contact with your skin.

What else.....

It's extremely flamable, my friends and I almost lit a dorm on fire that way once...oops :smoking:

enjoy

8. I suppose it would do the job but be VERY careful, nail polish remover is VERY flammable, even the presence of vapors from it can cause a fire.

9. WTF...What cleaning chemical CAN hurt your glass??

10. Thanks for all the responses.

11. I know it's probably a waste of money but I use 420 Bowl Cleaner =P.