Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

sweaty insomnia after quitting cannabis..

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Non, Jan 21, 2009.

1. well I had some trouble sleeping last night.

I take melatonin as well to sleep so... that helps me, along with the tea. I can 'fall asleep' somewhat but not get into a deep REM, I still feel very much "stuck" in my head, super aware of things. I would even feel my jaw clenching almost as if I had cocaine or something...

2. Finally, someone with a brain... Except conditioned responses are classified as a psychological addction. But Cannabis is largely not a physical addiction. The weaker the mind, the stronger the addiction.

Straight up, anything changes brain chemistry. Like people that depend on church and praying arnt addicts. Or drug counselers arent addicted to there religion of being "drug free." Pffffft!

These freaking people think that you should only have habits that they dictate to you. F that. Im not a mind slave. I think and act for myself, and I will choose if I want to have a habit or maintain an addiction to something.

I have a strong gardening habbit. I spend money on it that I should probably send to my student loans. I can barely get through day without picking a weed or watering something. I better go to intervention. Im out of control.:eek: If someone compelled me to stop, I would be so pissed off! Really, I am making a career of this. That would set my life back so far.

I only get insomnia, and it happens whether Im smokin or not. It is just so much better with the herbs-indica.

I have been compelled to admit myself to diversion for a year because I had a bowl of weed in my jacket pocket unbeknownst to me that had been through the washer; it was so old, degraded, and contaminated that it was totally unconsumable to any sane person.:mad: I mean, what kind of compulsive drug addict gets pulled over sober, driving his drunk friends home from and Afroman concert with a 3 month old bowl of weed in his jacket pocket. Such a person is totally out of control and dangerous to society.:smoking:

I went to assessment and the fucking drug counseler told me to maintain a Caffine addiction that causes me phyical pain (headaches) to treat ADD symptoms, but I had a problem with smoking Cannabis and it was good that I was being compelled to stop. As if a long enough period of sobriety was going to make me see the light. Like I couldnt stop on my own accord. He handed me a sheet and asked if I had any of those symptome. Doesnt he know what suggestion is? Someone walks into the doctors office with a named condition. The doctor hands them a sheet and asks, "do you have any of these symptoms?" That instructs the patient on how to respond so the doctor can justify his action. The man was sweating bullets with giant sweat spots under his arms in an air conditiond building without any exercise. It must be his Cannabis withdrawls and definately not anxiety from me authoritatively calling him on his BS. I told him how I was aversive to just about most drugs because of the negative feedback they give me. Their assesment consisted of 90% Alcohol questions which I had to answer largely no to cause Alcohol makes me very unconfortable past a few beers.

I told this person I was already familiar with this stuff and handing me the sheet was trivial (well not in those words). I had one sweaty night, which could be easilly be attributed to the humidity. Im sweating profusely now from my Coffea which will now be necessity for me to not feel totally shitty from lack of sleep. Insomnia is my only experience and it occurs regardless of Cannabis consumption. It is just that Cannabis makes insomnia so much less noticable and less frequent. Anyways, he litterally told me that I would experience these other symptoms, one of which is irritabilty. How can anyone expect an insomniac who is being compelled into a certain lifestyle to not be pissed about it? How can someone expect a very intelligent, very well informed person to not be pissed about having moronic or illegitimate authority figures dictate how they should live their life? :confused_2:

Now Im considering trying to get a scrip for sleep meds if this insomnia. I have been avoiding it for years now. Ive tried and implemented just about every available option.

Yep, otherwise good and responsible people, no matter how successful, who like to get high off of anything have a serious debilitating, damaging condition that warrents serious penalties and intervention. They dont deserve freedom of action unless the adhere to dictated, strict, mental regulatory structures implimented by the power brokers.

Aiiiggghhhh:rolleyes:

3. #43 flashlight, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
    i always have symptoms when i quit...

today was my 3rd day off and i had hot flashes and really upset stomach..

at night i cant sleep and i wake up soaking wet sometimes! only when i quit...my stomach will bother me for a few days till my metabolism adjusts and after a week ill be fine but it suck till then....i consider myself addicted to MJ bc if i dont have to, i wont go a single day without smoking...

i think its funny how many people PREACH that weed is non addictive, as if theyre some sort of doctor...lol, ive been addicted to things before and I AM addicted to MJ

and why is it that if its not addicting, the "withdrawl effects" are nearly identical to the effects of quitting smoking cigs (which are addicting as well)

4. Interesting you say that. I haven't been able to smoke for two months and I coulnd't get sleep at all last night. This night may be a repeat

5. #45 psychedellicboy, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm currently in the process of quitting marijuana after 5 years of VERY heavy usage....
    The nighttime sweats you are experiencing I am 95% sure ARE related to marijuana withdrawal. Even though as mentioned in an earlier post it's not physically addictive there are OBVIOUSLY going to be sideeffects to quitting ANYTHING that you have been habitually doing in your life. Try not watching TV for a week, or not chewing gum... of course they're not physically addictive however you might feel that something in your life was "missing".
    The reason you sweat so much after you quit is because unlike other drugs such as Cocaine, Alcohol, Ecstacy etc. Marijuana ISN'T flushed out out the body straight away because it attaches itself to the lipid (fat) molecules in your body. Sweating is the body's most efficient way of removing the THC stored in your fat so this is just your body natrually detoxing after such a long period of abuse. To counter this drink lots of water to replace the fluid lost through sweating. Take daily heavy exercise to sweat more out and try and go to sleep when you feel tried and wake early at the same time to reset your bodyclock. During the early stages of quitting your body will obviously need a lot of rest as is concentrating most of it's energies on cleaing the THC out of your system.
    Yes I wake up in the middle of the night literally dripping with sweat sometimes... but there's very little you can do about it in the short term and for the love of god don't think "oh I'll just have a joint," you wouldn't kick a doctor in the teeth whilst he's trying to treat you!
    Best of luck... :D:D:D

6. insomnia, nausea, night sweats and lack of appetite are all normal symptoms after heavy cannabis use followed by a period of withdraw. The younger you are the less noticeable it is, the older you get the more your feel it. Its just your body's way of going back to functioning without THC. Same way as it would if you had a long period of alcohol consumption, or any other drug that you had consumed for a long time.

7. I have been using cannabis for about 6 years now and I never run out or stop. I use once in the morning and twice at night 7pm, 12pm. Well last month I ran out and in the 24 hours of me being out I could not eat, sweaty palms and feat, and fell asleep. That was it. My personal experience.

Physical or mental............it's still so mild. Never smoked cigs but talk to someone about quiting them. Lol

8. While not addictive, frequent cannabis use could potentially mask a virus or infection due to it's properties as an anti-inflammatory (chances are very good you are smoking an indica).

Over a long enough stretch of time, I don't think it is unreasonable to suggest the body may compensate and have an inflammatory reaction (a mild fever) even without an actual infection or virus (overreact to natural exposure), and raise the natural body temperature because it's usually suppressed by cannabis use.

As I type this I just ran out of green after many months and years of very consistent use. And about 32 hours in, my sleep is shit and I noticed my body temperature is most definitely warmer than usual by a substantial margin (I almost always am quite cool, but now am just a touch beneath too hot).

This obviously has no bearing in scientific fact, and I am just postulating.

While I acknowledge the relative safety of cannabis, I think it is a fallibility that we all write off any symptomatic effects post usage. Even if only psychological/psychosomatic...

Look forward to hopping back on the bandwagon next paycheque :wave::smoking:

9. I gotta say.. Some idiots are posting on this forum...

I talk to A LOT of chronic marijuana smokers that have quit toking at one point or another in their life..

They ALL agree that when they quit smoking they had night sweats.. or sweat randomly during the day or during moments of anxiety..

The amount of time it lasted averaged 2 weeks..

So you morons want us to believe that EVERYONE who quits toking only has this withdrawal symptom because the Marijuana they were smoking was covering up an infection or other health problem?

Shaddap.

Marijuana *IS* addictive and people suffer from similar withdrawal symptoms.. The type of withdrawal and the severity depends on how chronic they were and their personality..

I don't know ANYONE that smoked pot at least once a day that quit smoking and did not feel any withdrawal symptoms..

You can say they only had withdrawal symptoms because they read about them.. Well 99% of the people I know stay as far away from the internet as they can.. So they had no planted ideas about withdrawl symptoms..

Most admit they thought Marijuana was not addictive and they would not feel anything..

You guys can try and force your OPINION down people's throats.. but nothing talks louder than personal experience..

10. yea that happened to me, i was a very heavy smoker for 9 years then had to quit cold turkey, legal issues... and i had the sweats for like over a week, couldnt sleep and barely ate

11. I still cant sleep...its been three months now. rehab made me start taking ambian cause i cant get a scrip for cannabis (cant get a drug unless on a scrip). was taking lunesta, but its 170 a month and dont work that great. i slept better when i was smokin. cant wait to be done with this nonsense

12. try tasking unisom sleep gels, 2 like an hr before bed they knock me the fuck out

13. i take melatonin on tbreaks to help me sleep

14. You have to remember there is a clear cut difference between withdrawal symptoms and simple agitation. If you are doing something you enjoy daily, whether it is playing video games, meeting up with friends, skating, playing guitar, or smoking weed - when you suddenly stop doing that you'll be bored, annoyed that you're not doing what you want to do, you might feel tired and have a lack of motivation, even sweating and feeling a bit down is common. Too many people jump to the conclusion that this means that something is addictive, I'm sorry but if that were the case that makes absolutely every single activity you can think of addictive.

Just don't worry about it. You're just not used to sleeping without feeling some of the effects of Cannabis, this'll change pretty soon. :)

Just out of interest, what is it that made you quit?

15. What probably happened is that you developed insomnia as a result of your genes while you were smoking on a regular basis, the constant state of relaxation masked the fact to the point where you could ignore it.

But when you stop smoking, your body is suddenly put into a state that it isn't used to. Your once repressed insomnia? It's making itself apparent now that you are in a constant state of sobriety. My reccomendation, if the amount you were smoking before is the reason you stopped, either for economic or other reasons, only smoke right before you go to sleep. If you want to stop smoking completely and your insomnia doesn't wear off after about a week, you probably have real insomnia, which can easily be countered by certain medications if you absolutely can't sleep, just go see a doctor about it and you'll almost guarenteed to get some form of prescription.

Seriously, when I first began to cut back on smoking, I would wake up and still be in a half dreaming state, i'd see shit like bees flying around my room or someone standing at the foot of my bed and believe what I was seeing was real, and run out of my room flailing my arms about only to realise that I was seeing shit.

Then I got prescribed ambien and I haven't had that bullshit happen since. My warning about hard sleep aids though, once you start, it's EXTREMELY difficult to stop and still be able to get an entire night's sleep.

Hope this helps though.

16. Couldn't agree more. I decided to register because I couldn't believe how many know-it-all weed heads were posting in this thread.

I've been an every day smoker for almost 10 years now (crazy how long that sounds when you're only in your mid twenties.) I have tried to quit unsuccessfully several times. Frankly, it's been the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. I don't claim to be a medical expert, but marijuana is both physically and mentally addicting. Period. I know because I have been, and still am, the guinea pig.

This is obviously a horrible place to come for advice on quitting. Most of the people here seem to be looking to justify their own addictions or dismiss anyone who hasn't had the same experiences they've had. Quite simply, it seems to be predominately a bunch of stoners throwing ideas against the wall hoping they stick.

I'm not trying to be the self righteous dude talking down to marijuana smokers as I'm a huge pothead myself... But at least educate yourselves a bit or shut up. You're doing people a disservice by dismissing their very real symptoms and furthermore, you make yourself and pot smokers look bad by being the classic know-nothing burnouts.

All that said--I have experienced the night sweats and am experiencing them as we speak as I am currently on day 5 of my detox. Unusually heavy perspiration and having very vivid/crazy dreams seem to be the two most common symptoms I've been able to identify. Then of course the irritability and despair that go along with trying to break an everyday habit.

Anyway, I'm happy to discuss these things in more detail with anyone who is interested. As for the rest of you doling out bad advice and misinformation--stop it.

17. If anybody has trouble sleeping, while trying NOT to use marijuana to put you to sleep, I highly suggest using Melatonin the first two or three nights to get you back into your regular sleep schedule, or go with something like Valerian Root. Walgreen's sells a Valerian Root supplement that also has an anti-anxiety addition to it. Both of these are all-natural, 100% organic and they will cost you less than $10.

18. Dude, im not saying your wrong, I agree with you to a certain extent. I've smoked pot for a couple years now on the daily and whenever I quit I cannot sleep good for about a week. Just get some sleep meds man, they work wonders..it's really not that deep and if you can't quit pot I feel for you cause I would hate to see you try any other drug. and before YOU go out giving bad advice, you should realise everyone is different..so how pot effects you will not effect everybody else the same..Good day. Also, to help get sleep, exert yourself..do something, go talk a walk, wash your car, clean your room; just do something to take your mind off not smoking and to use that energy up. Even though I've been smoking for 3-4 years, I've still managed to quit numerous times.:rolleyes:

19. In my experience, i make sure i smoke everynight before i go to bed because after i burnout and can't do shit its perfect time to crash.. when i can't smoke before bed(for whatever reason) i can't sleep for the life of me..some people may say its not true but they should try it themselves..my opinion anyway

20. #60 EmpathyLost, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010

As a experiment Im commited to using 10-12 times a day from September, 2009- April 2010. As my dates show it almost took an entire month of "this is the last time." probably due to a mental addiction or so i thought.

After abruptly discontinuing usage little effects were felt, other than the possible psychological feeling of not having anymore. I was convienced this theory was debunked and usage only deals with the pschy of the human mind as a "psychological addiction."(March. 1/2010)

Its now been three days since abruptly stopping usage, persperation has increased significantly in feet and hands, almost to the point of social embarassment. light feelings of anxiety causing minor "panic attacks."(March. 4/2010)

Its now march 6th and comming to a conclusion, persperation has yet increased unbelievably, nausia, headaches and a development of a type of "Sleep Apnea" or a variation. A Constant feeling of "morning haze," note: Last night I awoke multiple times to panic attacks and nausia. "gasping for air" (March. 6/2010)

I believe this is what some have stated as the "peak" and will soon calm down like any other perscription drug on the market as the weeks progress. Substance abuse IS directly related to health problems, therefore must be handled carefully, though these symptoms have not killed me, they are serverly uncomfortable.

To save yourself these symptoms the process of "weaning" can in theory prevent or decrease severity. This means its just a little more than psychological and partially physical as I said like any other medication- though these symptoms do NOT even compare to the discontination of perscription drugs like Effexor they are still as I stated "uncomforatable"

For those of you die-hards who like to debunk any bad relations to usage please feel free to try this for yourself, like any other scientific investication replication is key to understanding. Though I do not condone usage nor abrubt discontinuation. I myself am not doing this again any time soon.

This information is good for those of you to be prepared if "circumstances" (ex. Bronchitis) stop or limit usage- Other methods such as baking and moderate proportions can decrease these effects.

Thank you for who ever took the time to read this.