Best seed germination method - cup of water or damp towels?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by proteus, Jan 19, 2009.

1. I don't know if this has been said yet or not, I read the first few pages and it just came to me.

If your going to use the water in a cup, don't put too many seeds in at the same time bout 2-3 maybe 4.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. havent tried the cup method yet but ive done the paper towel method, and ive noticed if you place them in a warmer temp itll pop faster. ive had them pop as soon as the next day before. gonna try the cup method on my next grow

3. totally agreed, ph adjusters when added to RO will change the overall water ph drastically because of the lack of buffers.

but I wouldn't say introducing CO2 as a gas to a body of water changes the ph. Don't get me wrong, it does. but if there's no agitation of the water then simply introducing CO2 to the surface of something like reverse osmosis water does nothing. Remember, both CO2 and H2O molecules are non-polar, so they wont mix unless there is presence of some other polar substance or some other catalyst to receive the carbon into the mixture.

4. but yes, aeration occurs as water passes through an RO membrane. hence the acidic end result. not to mention the free agents still around after the reverse osmosis process.

people who only drink RO water are silly.
    people who think tap water is better than RO because of its relative mineral content are also a little ridiculous.
    clean spring water is probably the best for people to drink, in my personal opinion.
    hence, I use bottled spring water to germinate seeds in.
    RO or anything cleaner works great, too.

5. I've 100% seed success with the damp kitchen towel so far.
    Ain't broke, won't try to fix

6. I think 24 hours in water then straight into the pot is fine, all mine germinated when I did it this way anyway.

7. I like a cup of water for 36 hours, then right into some damp soil. Plant em even if they don't sink- one of my 3 never sunk and they all sprouted and grew fine.

The idea is that you minimize risk of damage to the tap root which can happen with paper towel.

I've heard that the paper towel method was started when pretty much everyone just grew from bag seeds and it was simpler to make sure the seeds were viable before you started (so looking for a tap root). Now that we're spending good money on seeds, the cup of water method makes more sense to give each seed the best chance.

8. Paper towel is the only way.

Special KAY

9. IN THE MEDIUM. FUCK PAPERTOWEL BS

WAKE UP PEOPLE

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Only if you are a beginner and don't know how to germinate seeds.

PW

11. i'm sure it's been mentioned already (old thread)

but if growing in soil, just put your seeds directly into the moist soil..
    why anyone wants to mess around with picking up a baby seed with a very fragile taproot is beyond me.

12. #72 GOLDENBOY, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2014
    [quote name="pointswest" post="19338317" timestamp="1389711702"]Only if you are a beginner and don't know how to germinate seeds.PW[/quote]Naw man.. iv cracked my seeds for 10 years that way. Its easy and and it works. One year I forgot about these plnts I had growing. I remembered about them the next year in the spring. I took a walk to see if anything had come from them. Whenni went back I seen about 60 little plants coming up. I left them go and only 3 survived.. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. [quote name="SSDIPainGuy" post="17941587" timestamp="1367150971"]I put mine in the paper towels and had 100% germination in about 4 days[/quote]People like to say that its wrong to do it that way. I feel people think weed plants are these fucking week little plants that can handle shit. I use tap water in a paper towel and then toss it in a bag. Works every time. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. [quote name="neonrio" post="19338557" timestamp="1389715599"]Naw man.. iv cracked my seeds for 10 years that way. Its easy and and it works. Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app[/quote]
    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. i know this is 6 years old but ive always used the cup of water method with 100% success, always used a medicine cup

16. I just tossem in a glass cup of water, 1-2 days later, tap root and then into rockwool cubes.

17. Tbh.. From my experience any method works. I've had about 98% success with all 3 paper towel, shot glass and directly in soil.

Aslong as you know what you are doing with each method you will be fine.

18. I use a glass of water then when i see a crack i throw the seed into a jiffy puck, never fails.

19. Jus went through these predicaments and found out the easiest way ever. After killing several seeds during the transplant faze of removing them from paper towel into a rw cube. Nothing happend once they reached the rw cubes for me. So i got some local knowledge from the grow store. I then planted my seeds into the soaked rw cube and 3 days later they germinated and grew out of the blocks on there own. I was amazed. No shot glass on water in the dark, no papertowels. Jus plant in the hole and close up and wait. The rw cube has a high ph itself so soaking the block in a 5.5 ph is crucial to get the block where the seed likes. Squeeze out excess water before planting the seed and shake the block. Moist not soaked. Overwatering is the biggest problem with seedlings. Good luck!

20. Best imo is putting them str8 into soil.