The actual costs of pharmeceuticals

Discussion in 'General' started by Poisongage, Jan 17, 2009.

1. That is such a shitty arguement, water is not poisonous, you die from the physical amount you place in your body. This is actually more reminiscent of shooting yourself in the head, than OD'ing from poisonous pills.

2. Hahaha how do you figure that ??? :D:D:D
    Is it just me, or is anyone else having a hard time spotting the scientologists ?

Funny post in the midst of the battle. :smoke:

3. i guess i can't sell a television to a blind man. whatever. point is, moderation is key, and pharmaceuticals, when used correctly, are an absolute miracle. I've seen and experienced first hand. My mom is even a personal trainer, and shes against medicine, and into all natural ways and stuff, but even she can't argue against a certain medication at times... By no means is getting dependent on a drug going to help, but there are tons and tons of drugs that can help aleviate a number of problems with little to no side effects. You keep saying tums is poisonois, yes, sure in a certain amount. but that amount is nearly unachievable. Our body can only handle so much calcium intake, your right, and our body can only endure so much H20 intake before we die. it is the same. I don't wish illness on anybody, but i hope you contract something where you need a drug, and you can learn your lesson. trust me, my grandmother would have lived at least 20 years less if not for insulin, which had no ill-effects on her... and im pretty sure she wouldnt have used any cannabis-based remedy, especially at 75 years old.

you still haven't made your point. they're selling poison as much as anyone else is selling poison - mcdonalds = poison, diet coke = poison,
    sure, but you need to overindulge, or not use your common sense. to completely disregard the effectiveness of a particular and responsible drug use is completely and utterly ignorant. Its like me listening to my 9th grade health teacher tell me about marijuana all over again

and shes calling you a scientologist, because of their lunacy in anti-drug beleifs

4. I'm not against pharmaceuticals. They ARE a necessity which is why I'm against the corrupt business practices that go on within the industry.

I don't understand how you can praise their value, but then justify and defend the practices of these large companies that keep necessary drugs out of the hands of people who need them. And lots of unnecessary drugs in the hands of people who don't need them.

There is no justification for the prices that are being charged other then to get rich, and there is no justification for the sheer amounts of medications that are being hoisted upon the american public.

5. #65 Poisongage, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009

When i read this, i feel like you misunderstood me on purpose.

This whole thread is based on the unnecessary production and overcharged pricing of poisonous products, that you have no need for what so ever. Read the original post again. I am not arguing that you can't take pharmaceutical drugs and survive. Of course. Otherwise my grandmother and my mother would be dead by now. But it effects them in such a way, that it alters their health. And that is because it is poisonous. What i am taking about is taking pharmaceuticals like Xanax for anxiety or stress. That is wrong, dangerous and unnecessary. And the pharmaceutical industry is making a killing off of it. Both off the addicts they create and off the deaths they induce.

"and im pretty sure she wouldnt have used any cannabis-based remedy, especially at 75 years old."

You are basically making my point here. You are saying that i am right in what i am saying. She would, of course, refuse to use cannabis, because it is a illegal drug and a herbal medicine, which has been cast under skepticism by the pharmaceutical industry for years. She would refuse because of all the lobbying and propaganda that the pharmaceutical industry have employed, to make sure that people know which drugs are "good" and which are "bad" for them, or at least, which is benificial.

"you still haven't made your point. they're selling poison as much as anyone else is selling poison - mcdonalds = poison, diet coke = poison"

If you cannot see the difference in selling junk food that is unhealhty and pharmaceuticals that are directly poisonous to use, then i don't know what to say.

"You keep saying tums is poisonois, yes, sure in a certain amount. but that amount is nearly unachievable. Our body can only handle so much calcium intake, your right, and our body can only endure so much H20 intake before we die. it is the same. I don't wish illness on anybody, but i hope you contract something where you need a drug, and you can learn your lesson."

Stop the H20 comparison. It's fucking ridiculous compaing drowning to a chemical reaction.

6. Couldn't have said it better.

You're living in a dream world Floyd if you truly believe the things you say. It's time to open your eyes and let a realist perspective in. It may be harsh but it's the truth.

7. I agree. Some Pharmaceuticals are important. But it is the way they are made and the use they have that i am against. I am not against taking medication out of necessity. That has never been the issue here.

8. i agree. which is why i was arguing a different point with poisonage. Foop if you agree with her statement, then your on my side too. I agree its corrupt, it doesn't affect me though so i don't care. The reason i've been in this thread is because that kid is trying to compare Tums to Hydrocodone in saying that they are both "poison" because they can both kill - stupid comparison. drugs can beneift. they can hurt.

i understand the pharmaceutical corruption, trust me, Foop. Like i said, my dads a pharmacist - hes just the middle man whos salary is non-dependent on the drugs... no matter what all he does is work a computer, go to meetings, and disperse a drug, for the same hourly wage every day. I know how the entire pharmco works, and yes it can be fucked up at times, but thats because our world revolves around money, and money fucks things up. I wasn't arguiing so much about the corruption, just that drugs can benefit. Theyre high prices are somewhat justified, but healthcare and prices make it difficult, i understand. and thats what the thread is about. i put my 2 cents in on that.

im not arguing that, im arguing with poisonage who seems to think that every single drug sold at CVS is the devils-workings

9. #69 Poisongage, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009
    What ?

I have not compared Tums to hydrocodone, i would never do that. This is just ridiculous. You posted about Tums because i asked you for a non-side effect pharmaceutical drug. And i pointed out that you were wrong, since bad side effects had been reported on Tums. I didnt say that using Tums is deadly or poisonous as is, infact, i pointed that out.

I was right when i said that you misunderstood me. Read the original fucking post man.

10. Good ideology if I've ever seen one. Things should only be important to you if they effect you in any way. Don't pay attention to the millions of Americans suffering at the moment without healthcare or inadequate healthcare, cause at the end of the day, why worry about something that doesn't effect you, right?

Say that to my grandmother's face if you ever see her, she only has about a day and a half left to live so you better act now. Tell her that the last 15 years of her life are her own fault because she was too busy raising her 5 kids alone to ever actively seek a healthcare plan.

Tell her to march on Washington and demand the prescriptions she so desperately needed but couldn't afford. You might have to speak for her though cause she hasn't been able to form a single coherent thought in the last 7 years.

I know what it's like to be neglected by a system your whole life, I don't think you do though.

11. What a festival of ignorance.

12. not what i was arguing. I was arguing with poison man who's so against the use of any drug. regardless, my time in this thread is done. And again, i feel bad for you in that situaton, i really do. And don't tell me who i am or how i grew up. My grandfather was neglected his whole life by the system, along with my father, and they both overcame it. Other times, the circumstances are impossible to overcome, i understand. If i were to write an essay, i would deffinitely take your side on healthcare - infact, i've already written that paper. I know what its like to get fucked by the system, which is why im an activist - the issues i fight for are completely different though and pertain to my life, and how my life has been affected. Im going to worry about what affects me first, and there are a lot of important issues, among healthcare, that need to be brought up. Ignorant for me to not care? Sort of. I'm 20 years old and im school - its not something i should have to worry about if it doesn't affect me right now. When i graduate, with a degree in journalism and political science, then go to law school - well then i'll try and make a difference... but why should i worry about something that doesn't affect me, nor do i have the means to change? Right now i worry about things i either 1. have control over or 2. can directly influence a change. I can't do that yet, so right now its not an issue i worry about.

i still stick to my argument with poisonage who is so against drug use. I don't see what you have against the positive benefits of responsible and moderate drug use thats closely monitored?? if its abused, then yes, its bad.

13. Let's see, these companies are already raking in tons of loot, and already have tons because of these sales practices, yet they continue to charge exorbitant prices for R&D, advertising and all that. Bullshit. They are charging that much because they CAN, not because they need to. No one has tried to put a stop to it, and it will keep on going like that until an attempt is made to get it under control.

14. I've read this whole thread, every point, and counterpoint..... and Floyed, you sir are the worse person to have a conversation with...

You asked for such things in an argument, and when you are proven wrong you go on some tangent and a whole other conversation/argument, and then tell the OP that hes wrong when you totally lost sight what you were attempting to debate.

Then bring up some random other argument for another thread to try to prove yourself right.

"No, this is what you don't get, you do not need pharmaceuticals. This is the fake picture that doctors and pharmaceutical chemists have scratched into our minds through the media and our schools."

This is exactly true. If you ever watch a drug commercial, the main point they are trying to get across is that YOU NEED SOME type of medicine....

Do you have a headache? ... we have the cure for that, just take this pill....

cept the fact you have a headache because you downed 4 cups of coffee in the morning and now your crashing... but never mind that, just take that pill and forget about it, and drink 5 cups tomorrow!

People think they just need drugs, but if they just pay attention to why they would need them would be the better solution.

Man, i really need some backache medicine, my back hurts so bad, its not cause I just spend the last 3 hours gardening, but never mind that, let me pop this oxy.

and then get worse side effects from it, worse than having a sore back.

Do I think some people need pharms? YES! BUT ONLY A FRACTION of people that use them actually need them.

Pain, its life... you cant expect to go through life expecting to be in zero pain, it doesnt make sense, but thats what the pharm companies what us to think, we dont need pain, we need pills.

15. #75 NFloyd2357, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2009

so you;ve misinterpreted my posts, and then concluded exactly my point lol.
    The whole time i was trying to push the point that drugs aren't completely evil. that one person i was arguing with kept trying to say that nobody needs any drugs, and that Tums is enough of a poison where the medicine isn't worth taking. ludicrous. I talked about two topics

1.) the economics and cost of pharms
    -which i explained, and admitted was corrupt
    2.) the benefits, AND negatives of using drugs
    -where one person kept constantly coming back at me and saying zero drugs are neccessary and you shouldnt take any.

everyone keeps bringing up pain and painkillers, and talking about their dangers. YES! their opiates! theyre dangerous! not every drug is a painkiller guys. not every drug is a stress releiver - a lot of drugs regulate aspects of the human body, thus rendering them neccessary, and that was my argument, consistantly, with poisongage

insane.

16. He wasnt speaking in abolute, yet you read it that way.

reading comprehension is good for me! since i can argue without speaking gibberish-ly?

17. u dun goode on hook'd on fonics?

you don't make sense.

im taking a GC hiatus i think,
    i feel like summer came back with a vengeance

18. 1 - I never said that nobody needs any drug. In fact, i explained to you, that my mother needs to take medication for her pain, the same with my grandmother.

2 - I never said that it was a drug not worth taking. I simply replied to your answer (on you naming a drug that is worth taking besides the side effects). I stated that Tums, just as any other pharmaceutical drug, has proven side effects.

3 - How do you figure that when you said this:

4 - Again, i never said that man. Stop twisting the facts.

19. and i did. and thus the argument started. I said tums, and you responded fervently, so i defended my position... until you started rantin about drug companies selling poison.

3 - yes, i did say that. because thats the truth behind PharmCo - the fact that the government doesnt pay for it, or healthcare is unaffordable is what i agree'd to being corrupt... the markup on the drugs, not so much. Just the fact that their price IS justified, but at that price, who can afford them? if the govt doesnt step in, or you can't afford healthcare, than there is a degree of corruption - that is what i stated... where are you confused?

20. Alright I haven't read this whole thread, so I'm just commenting on the main topic.

You can't really blame them for the markup, because they do spend millions in R&D, but that does not mean that it's justifies the massive mark up. That's a bigger markup than cocaine. I guess it reminded me of a paper I read awhile back that said if drugs were legalized, then someone with a $150 a day heroin habit would only have to spend like $2.80 for the morphine equivalent. And where can I get some of this bulk alprolozam:confused: