Marijauana Decriminalization bill is ACTIVE IN WASHINGTON STATE! (H.B. 1177)

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by SeattleRes, Jan 17, 2009.

1. #41 SeattleRes, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2009

Hey there this has been posted twice already on this thread plz read above. There is a wa state senate version of this bill sb5615. It ls in the senate judiciary plz read my post for their emails. Chris hurst says if the senate version passes he will agree to hear the house version. Plz take action! By emailing all 8 reps in senate judiciary look up 4 posts. For more info

2. I read all that. It's great for Washington people, but I live in Texas. Representatives get so much mail, and what outsiders think has absolutely no bearing on state's laws, when they see the return address, they often don't even bother opening the mail. I have even heard that they automatically forward it to your state's representative. Letters to the Editor from out-of-state residents are typically viewed as a good thing by the Editors because it shows that their newspaper is popular beyond it's normal borders, which is good for egos as well as stockholders. I've never had problems getting my Letter to the Editor published, anywhere.

I'd surely be writing to my state reps if I lived in Washington. Texas has had several medical marijuana laws go into committee; probably versions of the same one. They never get passed. The public generally tends not to even be aware of them. With the last one, a few months ago, people were on here making comments regarding it being the first time Texas has seen such a proposed law. The dissemination of accurate information is one of our most powerful weapons, and SeattleRes, you are doing a bang-up job!

Kudos to you! Keep up the good work!

3. One more post before I stop watching this thread so closely. I just wanted to say thanks to SeattleRes and all the rest of you who are putting this information up here. I'll be writing letters all weekend and in the mean time, I've placed all of this information on my e-group on Yahoo!Groups, "nomoproh", a quiet list which functions more as an online library for anyone researching marijuana legalization and as a call to action for activists like those of us on this forum. There are only a handfull of subscribers on it, but I asked everyone to write at least one letter and to pass on all the information to any e-groups or forums they are on.

In every battle of our war for legalization, there is something that all of us can do to help our fellow Americans and improve marijuana laws, even if we have to do it one state at a time!

4. Thanks for the encouragement. I do feel like this issue will have to be dealt with state by state and I don't see the feds helping out anytime soon. If these proposals keep winning it'll cause momentum from state to state as more gain the courage to speak up about this issue. Unfortunately I feel like most people on this thread aren't reading the posts and just repost info that's already posted. I agree that reps only read in state comments.

5. Christopher Hurst will come to his senses after he realizes a vast majority of the people of Washington State are in favor of legalization, we need to keep sending him well written letters that shoot down any arguments he may have. Please when sending letters, do your research and use proper grammar. We need to be taken seriously with this.

That said, I think cannabis has enough positive media spin to get this bill passed through, not to mention Massachusetts decriminalization and the newly introduced Connecticut bill.

Does anyone have a list of states that have already decriminalized besides
    -cali
    -oregon
    -mass
    -nevada
    -????

6. Rhode Island passed a medical mj law which didn't become legal until January of 2008, because the (state) Governor vetoed it after it passed in both houses, so the House of Representatives overrode the governor's veto and approved the bill anyway, by means of a 59 to 13 vote!

And, I'm 00.0% sure that Colorado passed a medi-pot law last year.

Sorry. I have all this on disk, but I'm in the process of moving and I can't find it. I did find the Rhode Island story in the "messages" section of my Yahoo Groups list, "nomoproh".
    While looking for the list you desire, I discovered that the Texas medi-pot law is still active here.

It doesn't look too good for the Texas bill, since no one in Texas seems to know about it.
    :confused:

I agree that once most, or all, of the states have legalized marijuana, the feds will have to legalize it, too. There will be no denying the will of the people then. That is why I think that whenever a state has a legalization bill pending, everyone, from every state, should get involved somehow and help that state win the fight.

Non-residents can write letters to the editor, post news about the pending bill on forums like this one, in e-groups like "nomoproh" (No-'Mo-Pro[hibition]), and write to web site owners and urge them to feature information about this bill on their home page.

On our side, our biggest problem is a lack of action. Our second biggest problem is a lack of communication.

That is just my opinion. I believe that both of them are easily resolved.

7. I found the list on this forum:

Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington

8. Those are the med marijuana states above. There's 11 states that have decrimmed. Can't remember them do a google search to find out.

I've gotten a number of pieces of correspondence back.
    Everything from state representatives has been positive with some being lukewarm.
    Here's a sample of one:

"Thank you for writing to me and sharing your views on reclassifying marijuana. I appreciate hearing from you.

I have asked for a hearing and intend to keep working on it. I could not agree more that we need to take this off the Schedule 1 list of psychogenic drugs and decriminalize marijuana. A civil infraction would be much more appropriate.

Thanks so much for writing. Please contact me if you have any questions, concerns, or recommendations on this or any other issue. "

Rep. Sherry Appleton.

I've gotten only one response from the state senate which was NEGATIVE - I responded back to it with a rebuttal but I don't know if this senator can be moved. She's an important person to convince because she sits on the senate judiciary which the bill is currently in. There are 8 votes in the senate judiciary so each vote is very important.

Here was her email to me:
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the decriminalization of marijuana. I will be honest with you it is not a position I am ready to take. I have seen too much devastation to families due to drug usage. I understand that marijuana is different from other drugs and many do use it more recreationally and responsibly.

I have asked some questions about the numbers of people prosecuted and jailed due to marijuana usage. I've been told it is small and is not one of the main factors in jail overcrowding. I am aware that people that are arrested for marijuana possession and have a gun in their possession are jailed due to the mandated enhancements in the citizen initiative 'Hard-Time for Armed Crime'. Our state and county do utilize drug courts as an alternative to incarceration and they have been very successful.

I will, however, look closely at the proposal and keep your thoughts in mind.

Sen. Debbie Regala

9. If america wants to lead the world again this would be the perfect opportunity to do so. Our economy would flourish, thousands of jobs created, millions of dollars in taxes.

But I dont think it will happen in my lifetime. Too many peop-le in the states have big sticks up their arse.:mad: They are scared of everything that they secretly do in the closet. Thats why there are so many people against gay marriage also. Because most of them are secretly gay but its something they are ashamed of and they think everyone else should be ashamed of it as well.

I think a proposal to change the name of our country to

"The United States of Hypocrisy"

At least be honest about the whole thing, know what Im sayin?:smoke:

10. Right now there is an initiative in Oregon that we need to support that would legalize and regulate cannabis in the same manner as alcohol.

This is the holy grail guys. If we can get this passed in Oregon, that will start a massive movement.

11. :D:D:DI just looked this up and both my representatives are sponsers of the bill.,:D:D

Seattle is awseome:hello:
    Hooray:hello:

12. #52 SeattleRes, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
    THIS BILL WILL BE VOTED ON IN THE SENATE JUDICIARY ON FEB 10!!!!! (IT IS OPEN FOR A PUBLIC HEARING IN CASE ANYONE IS INTERESTED IN ATTENDING)
    PLEASE EMAIL THE 8 PEOPLE IN THE SENATE JUDICIARY!!!

send email to ALL 8 SENATORS in the judiciary committee:
    1. kline.adam@leg.wa.gov
    2. regala.debbie@leg.wa.gov
    3. mccaslin.bob@leg.wa.gov
    4. hargrove.jim@leg.wa.gov
    5. kohl-welles.jeanne@leg.wa.gov
    6. Carrell.Mike@leg.wa.gov
    7. roach.pam@leg.wa.gov
    8. tom.rodney@leg.wa.gov

IF THE BILL passes the senate judiciary, there will be a vote on the senate floor later. The WA state senate is 32 to 17 in favor of democrats so I think this bill has a good chance of being approved in the senate if it can make it to a vote on the senate floor (has to get through judiciary first).

The bill would then be passed to the house and Chris Hurst would be forced to give it a hearing...the house is composed of 98 legislators (32 repubs and 66 dems). So good chance it'll pass if it gets this far.

PLEASE EVERYONE keep emailing your legislators, it can't hurt but can only help.

13. :hello:
    Hey, just FYI I just watched the Senate Judiciary Committee live TVW channel 23 in Renton via comcast and saw them discuss the bill. Toby Nixon Spoke on behalf of sanity as well as others and only one person spoke against (and Addiction "expert" who was schooled by Kline). The Senate adjourned immediately after hearing the arguments for and against the bill (SB5615) and I didn't see them vote on whether or not to send it on. It was beautiful to see so many people talking sense. Even stupid Pam Roach couldn't say much of anything against (and we all know how she likes to hear herself talk). Honestly, I think it looks good and if Chris Hurst will listen if it passes the Senate Judiciary then he better get his chair ready because I think it's on it's way. I know that at least 2 people who were presiding over the Judiciary are sponsors for this bill (Kline & Kohl-Welles) and from what I saw it seemed at least 3-4 of the Senators were in favor of it, but like I said, I didn't see a vote as they adjourned immediately after the fors and againsts were heard.

Just a little update from a Washingtonian who cares.

14. Did you have it tivod? Can you put it online?

15. Today is Feb 10th, did the voting of the bill in the senate judiciary pass?

16. #56 kyn, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    I believe you can watch it at this link. It's pretty awesome! It is the last bill, so you'll want to go to then end of the vid to see that particular one, but I would encourage everyone (in WA at least) to watch the whole thing. There are a LOT of GREAT bills we're trying to get out there.
    I LOVE Kline, he's a funny motha fucka

17. no vote that I saw. I posted the video in the link above. They adjourned immediately after both sides had their say, without voting. I'm not sure what that means. It looked very encouraging to me.

18. Perfect. That was beautiful. I really hope the decriminalization happens.

19. Wow... politics sure is changing. Did you see the lighthearted approach to cannabis these politicians had? Great video.

20. #60 ScRuFFy63, Feb 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
    dbl post