The M-Files Investigates Homemade Vaporizers

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Matt Mernagh, Jan 13, 2009.

1. as the residents in Yongesterdam know im always open to trying ganja and gadgets. i appreciate the time and talents that goes into them. cuz usually im the guy who gophers, packs and yaks. peace!

2. When/If i go to Toronto ill bring some homemades and show you how its done. haha

3. Woah dude, if you use a heat gun straight out of the box, it better be a high dollar name brand. Cheap heat guns have cheap heat shielding that gives off some nasty fumes even on the lowest setting, which is still far too hot to avoid burning the bud. If the vapor was pretty milky, you're still just smoking. There are not nearly as many particles being released when properly vaping, thus the vapor should look like a moderate fog at best.
    Also, avoid having any plastic in path of airflow.
    Granted a bic lighter burns much hotter, the volume of heated air is much less, and it won't be infusing solubized plastics in your smoke. I guarantee it'll taste 100x better if you replace all the plastic with more inert materials.

The heating element can still be usable, it should be (in cheap guns) just a metal coil wrapped around a ceramic cylinder. However, the typical temperature range of a heat gun is 600 - 1200 F, so a heavy resistor (and possibly a voltage regulator) is needed to make sure the temp is just hot enough to do the job. There's really not much wiring involved, and chances are the gun already has some form of regulator.
    If all else fails, you can always just buy a small power supply for $50, and then you'll have adjustable control of voltage and current. Most importantly, there's less risk of wiring faults.

Next time you fire the gun up, waft the air blowing out of it. It shouldn't smell any different from the air getting sucked into it.

I'm not trying to criticize, I'm just still amazed by how many people continue to smoke out of plastic.

4. Don't know if this was said, but isn't tinfoil bad for you if inhaled?

I could be wrong because the tinfoil isn't getting hot enough to put off bad toxins, but it's still something to consider

5. I wouldn't use it long term but you're correct that you don't get it anywhere near hot enough to vaporize the metal. It's largely an urban legend that it's bad for you.

6. You're right, and most metals are fine to use but you have to take into consideration impurities and heat capacity. I'm not sure if the oxidative potential of the metal poses an issue or not.

Anything "Food-Grade" will be mostly pure, but you never know what the .01% might be. ...And heating it will make the impurities that much more likely to escape.

The problem I see with tin or aluminum foils is that they are so thin. Butane burns hotter than the melting points of both of the above metals, and foil doesn't have enough thermal resistance as a single sheet. What I've done in the past for foil screens is fold a big piece to 10-20 ply, then hammer it flat and poke a ton of holes in it with a needle. You get good airflow and the multiplied thickness absorbs enough of the heat to keep the screen from charring too easily.

7. check my favorite temperatures. the key to extraction is the best boiling temp for the kind of weed you have.

8. Now that actually sounds like a useful article.

9. Go to any road race course across the world and I guarantee a 4 stroke shifter kart holds the best time. :) lets see a foxbody or SN95 do that.... :p
    I ride motorcycles and breathe nitromethane the last thing I'm worried about is if some zinc is going to vaporize in my ganja and kill me... lol Anyways, I'm not saying its the BEST vaporizer in the world, it just works LIKE a volcano by inflating a bag with vape and you can hit it when you want but it cost $20 instead of $500.... I don't use it all the time, in fact i barely use it, but you can totally buy a glass bowl to fit the heat gun.

10. im keeping an eye on chad for the next Vapor Poo / Duff making session. hopefully we'll be making some yummy hash oil from volcano vaporizer leftover soon. you can also bake with vapor duff / poo. the leftovers. have a wonderful day M.

11. Lots of good ideas here. Here's mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hellz yah! nice device. luv it. thanks for your contribution! M

13. Dude I was thinking the same thing, I mean who doesn't get glass in their lungs every once in a while? And fire? Pfffh my hair will grow back... but if I were to do this and not get stoned I don't think I would have a reason to live.

14. I love making my own pieces. I even made a vaporizer once, with a light bulb, but not the way you're thinking.

Take a high wattage light bulb, I used one of those "infrared" red bulbs from Home Depot and a socket to power it. I wired that to a dimmer switch to control the voltage. Control voltage, control temperature. I happened to have a laser thermometer to test temp, but any thermometer will do. I then encased the bulb in a wooden box with no lid. I used a router to cut slits across it so that I could slide a piece a glass through to sit over the top of the bulb.
    I then placed a small glass over the top of that and drilled a hole in it for some food grade tubing.

When selecting a bulb, multiply wattage by 2 and you'll get the approx heat that the bulb will give off (incandescent bulbs). Don't use one of those new energy savers, they won't work.

Place your herb on the glass slide and cover it with the dome and flick on your bulb. It worked amazingly. I'd take a picture and show you, but I gave the thing away when I purchased my vape.

If there's any interest, I'll draw up some plans for it. PM me and we'll see what I can cook up for ya.

15. Original content?
    Lol

16. Umm I've actually built a completely safe, reliable, and useful bag-style vape myself. Cost me about $120 to make and every single one of my friends thats hit it has said it hits just like the ultra expensive volcanos. If anyone would like to know what I used PM me.

17. Well i just through away my light bulb thanks a lot.

18. Hey every one!

This is my homemade vaporizer, this is the 2nd one I have made. I haven't been smoking long, and im worried about smelling like weed, this vape helps with that. I was interested in vamping bc of all the benefits, less herb, no smoke, easier on lungs, and no toxins form combustion. I wasn't a huge fan of the light-bulb vapes so i made up my own. I have never seen a design like it or method of how it works so i like some peoples input. This is made from plywood, a Brass fitting, plastic tubbing, stainless steel and last but not least a margarita glass! Check it out!

I made a short youtube video showing it working with pipe tobacco

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGQ9DKHpJ1g&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Homemade Vaporizer[/ame]

19. Homemade lightbulb vapes are completely safe as long as you clear that mercury shit out. And taking hits off them are harsh! :smoking: