Advanced Cloning Techniques - Hard to Root or Valuable Plants

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by jcj77d, Jan 12, 2009.

1. #81 Madonna, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013
    I've played with cloning to find the easiest method for me.  This isn't the fastest method but it seems like the clones stay healthier and take off faster so I picked this method for that reason.  I rooted the top of one of my veging plants to use as a test since I was chunking the plant to make room and the stem was like a tree branch, so hard it would snap if I tried to bend it.

I took my cuttings, plus the top half of my veg plant(it was around 12 inches tall but very bushy and green).  I put them all in those little clear plastic drink cups of water with aloe juice, around 1/4 cup to a gallon.  I just sprinkled a little aloe juice but that is the usual mix of aloe to water.  I set these on a moist bed of perlite under a 23w cfl 6500k bulb, with a heating pad under it.  I had a piece of 1 inch styrofoam to insulate it since the heating pad gets too hot even on low.  I let them stay in the water for 48 hrs, then put into jiffy plugs in the same tray moistened with aloe water.  After a week or so I usually move them to the veg area with one of the other plants on their perlite beds so they have more light.  They rooted in 2 weeks and never wilted or lost any color until they started to root. At the first sign of roots, I put them right into regular cycled soil, for the organic growers info.  Easy peasy, and for the record I don't specifically sterilize anything, it is a good idea though I would just wash in hot soapy water and allow the clippers to air dry.  I usually wash anything I use anyway but sometimes I get lazy and so far, every clone has rooted with that method.  I lost a few with domes and misting.  I wanted to also mention that the clone that was hard as a stick did take a few days longer but she grew like crazy once she rooted.

Happy Growing!

2. #82 bioguy, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
    I find the dome is not needed. If the media is wet enough the plant will take up enough water. I also like to spray my plants with cold water to slow transpiration before I cut. 

If a clone is in a clone machine it does not need a dome. As my mentor says, "the plant is having water prayed up its ass...thats plenty". In reality I think the machine creates a cloud of humidity that protects the clones.

3. Shit man...bleach your scissors, cut your clipping on an angle, dip the root area in water + dip into cloning powder, and plant that bitch in wet dirt under your lights and they will grow. Low watt CFL's are best for clones...

I've never had a clone die on me all the work that you mentioned for cutting clones was making my head hurt

4. #84 bioguy, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
    I came back to this to say the same thing....again. I got so sick of cleaning the machine and clogged pumps. In a lazy moment I decided to fill a tray of 1" x 2" deep seed stater cubed (72). Now I get like 50-60, pick the best 48 to go in 3" and then pick the best 42 for my room.

The keeper 42 look better than they used to. 

I also did a side by side with 3 strains using power clone and the powder from Home Depot. Powder won, hands down. 

This is for hard to root plants bt sometimes the the KISS system really pays off. 

5. I am testing a new theory on a plant that hates to give up babies. Its my most fire cut but I cant ever grow even a full tray cause the damn clones always die. 

This test is the result of an accident. I was air layering a large branch to make a backup (bonsai) mom. It was the first air layer I have ever had fail. After a month it still had no roots, huge callus but no roots. The branch looked fine even though it had been missing its bark for a month.  Instead of wasting it, I cut the clones off.

I suspect that having a month of hormonal response to the air layer it will clone faster. We will see. I'll be back in a week.      

6. Just a quick question with cloning guys .

When cloning hydroponically should I transplant to my desired medium once roots begin to show?

sent from sampson simpson

7. Anyone

8. Is this thread dead? Lol

9. Can u tell me if my plant female male

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

10. How the hell anyone can tell u,it us too young.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. hey i have a monster sativa and it has 4 main colas and has 10+ small branches with scraggly buds growing on it and its in the 3rd week of flowering is it posible to clone the 10+ branches and turn all them scraggly buds into there own main colas or would it just stress the plant out too much and kill my chances of getting a high yield 

profile picture is it at 1 week into flowering

12. they are only 3 weeks in, let them fill in get more light on them if anything, if you clone them they wont finish flowering, they will try and grow roots.

13. how about after the roots kick in will it go back into flowering? 

14. Here are some photos of it in the first 2 weeks please help with any advice on getting bigger buds

Sent from my Suzuki

Attached Files:

15. Lol if it's the first two weeks you still have plenty of time for growth

16. Keep up with the feeding an do your best to avoid any stress issues an you'll be fine

17. Alright thanks will upload more pics of it when i get home

Sent from my Suzuki

18. So my feed i give the plant is fresh fruit crushed up into some blood and bone and aqu salt liqued mixed all together and poured over the bark and into the soil i normally feed it twice a week and give it a good flush at the end of each feed with fresh rain water with a ph level between 5-6 should i stick to my normal feed or try something less intence

So do you advice me not to clone or to clone because i want to move parts of it into a 300 watt led indoor grow box.

Sent from my Suzuki

19. I believe it's to young to clone, given the pic u showed before. When u take clones you want ur plant to be nice an bushy an healthy so you get healthy clones

20. So I have built one of the rumpleforeskin bubble buckets and let it sit for like 2 months with water in it, dumped it out, filled it up with tap water and stuck 7 cuts in it that I had from aggressive topping that had been sitting on my rooms floor for like 30 minutes and just let it run under a cfl.

I didn't ph check it or monitor the temperature and got 7/7 in 6 days, and some of the roots are long enough to transplant to soil already. I feel like 6 days isn't very common? But I don't know what I did right haha.

This might not be the place for this question but it's not worthy of its own thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum