Advanced Cloning Techniques - Hard to Root or Valuable Plants

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by jcj77d, Jan 12, 2009.

1. yes that does seem to be true but there is indicas that are hard to clone as well some taking 2 plus weeks. all in the strain and enviroment

2. Two weeks plus??? What about Afghani#1? Any experience with this strain? I need a good solid pure indica, and this was sounding like the one, until the third try at cloning this momma. I'm about to put her into flower and say forget it and find another strain. Unless someone can give me miracle tip to get her to root. It's been 11 days and no roots in the EZCloner. Should I try soem cubes and a dome?:confused:

3. I recently had probs with cloning ak48 and in the end it goes like this. first get a plastic flat and the big 8" tall lid then get ur plug size tray I use them broken in to 9 site sections and only put a max of three sections in the flat. now I use coco for a rooting medium but plugs or any good starter mix will do. cut and dip/coat ur clones and place them in the sites I usually place six out 9 available sites to keep clones from touching. now heres what does it take a soda bottle poke hole in cap fill 2/3rds with water 1/4 cup of sugar and a packet of yeast, put cap on plug hole with thumb and shake, place in flat put lid on close vents.
    but everyother day take lid off to recycle air, shake co2 up again. easy strains roots three days hard strains about a week. and almost forgot I water with ro/ olivas 2/3 strength rooting solution. but spring water will suffice. happy cloning.

4. Thank you sage, I will get started on the tray after the next trip to the shop. You say add the yeast and sugar for CO2, I have a greenair that I have dialed in to w/e ppms Co2 I need. Should I just run it on half or maybe a quarter time? I know that clones only need a low amount of CO2 ppms. will the greenair be sufficient? It creates heat too and I know they like that.:D

5. well u could go that way but clones don't like too much heat the part that likes the heat is the medium, so heat mat is better for that" I've even used the top of my aircooled hood to provide heat but wouldn't recommend that. I find the soda bottle works just fine

6. I went looking for a solution to my problem with a couple of plants that were being very stubborn to clone and found this thread right at the top. The bubbler has always worked but it wasn't getting through these woody stems. This thread reminded me that I need to scrape the stem at the bottom of the cutting with a blade to give those roots a place to come out. Problem solved.

Great thread. Thanks for posting it.

7. [quote name='"randomseed"']

Yes, when I was still doing rockwool they ALWAYS tipped at least half way before perking back up so its not a horrible thing. When using an aero cloner it never happens.[/quote]

Dudes got it down. This is what I do!!

8. Thanks JC. tookmy first clone # weeks ago using the dark period technique, and lil charlie is doing awesomely. Justtook 2 more clones from awhite widow strain toda. I bout a heated seed starter, and have them in their dark period now. Wish me luck on the 2 new girls :)

9. Wish i had seen this post before i took my girls today. Deff gonna try it on my next atempt. I gottasuper skunk strain that should be ready for cloning in bout 3 weeks. I cant wait

10. id say yep

11. Quick question sage. The watering solution with Olivias, do ya use it in your spray bottle, or water your medium only. I just took 2 white widow clones today, and am gonna mix up the co2 solution, and wanna try watering with a rooting solution.

12. well right now don't have bottle in front of me but Idk if it says foilar spray application or not but this is what I got from tip page at olivias.

It is essential that your cuttings (sometimes referred to as clones or slips) be taken from healthy plants.
    Always shake to mix the bottle of OLIVIA'S CLONING SOLUTION. It is not necessary to shake or stir OLIVIA'S CLONING GEL prior to use.
    Water quality is of prime concern in hydroponic growing. All plants differ in their preference of pH range. Find out the pH range for your particular plant.
    As a general rule of thumb, a pH range of 5.5 to 6.5 is best for most plants. Check your pH level daily and adjust to proper level.
    If using "rockwool" as your growing medium, pre-treat your medium with OLIVIA'S CLONING SOLUTION and adjust to appropriate pH level. Some "rockwool" is high in alkaline - 8.0 to 8.5. The pH will vary between different manufactures.
    Be gentle when taking cuttings. They can shock easily when cut.
    Always use a sterile growing medium; be it rockwool, soil, vermiculite, perlite, sand, etc. Never use soil from your garden.
    Always keep tools clean to avoid transmitting disease to open plant wounds. Sterilize them before each use if possible.
    Keep your growing medium warm around-the-clock for best results. Bottom heat (with a heating pad) will help cuttings root faster. Bottom heat: 75-85F (24-30C). Greenhouse/indoor temperature (air, bench level):70F (21C).
    High humidity aids in rooting your cuttings. A plastic cover (humidity dome or tent) will increase your percentage of roots cuttings.
    Don't forget all plants need fresh air. If your cuttings show signs of wilting, cut some holes in your humidity dome/tent to allow air ventilation.
    Remember to keep your room temperature warm during the night or lights-out cycle if propagating indoors. Add a space heater if necessary.
    Excessive watering can cause cuttings to wilt or cause stem rot. You don't have to keep the bottom of your tray filled with OLIVIA'S CLONING SOLUTION. The idea is to keep the growing medium or soil moist only.
    To achieve a uniform cutting you may trim the leaves. Try to keep all your cuttings around the same height. This allows each cutting to receive the same amount of light.
    If you are using outdoor sunlight, screen your cuttings from the direct sun or place in a shady area under a tree.
    If you are using fluorescent lighting you may place your lights within a few inches of the tops of your plants without burning them.
    If using high intensity discharge (HID) lighting, either sodium or metal halide, give cuttings a full 18 hours of light. A 6 hour night cycle is recommended for optimum results.
    Due to the amount of heat HID lamps put out, keep the lights within a safe distance above your cuttings or you will burn them.
    Once roots appear, your cuttings can take stronger, more intense light, either HID or outdoor sunlight. Place your lights as close as possible. In other words, the closer the lights are to your plants, the faster your plants will grow. Transplant as soon as vigorous roots appear.
    Continue to use OLIVIA'S CLONING SOLUTION during your entire propagating cycle, i.e. from the time you first take your cutting, until they are fully rooted and transplanted.
    Use OLIVIA'S CLONING SOLUTION when transplanting to eliminate transplant shock.FINAL NOTE:Every plant and growing situation is different, so the length of time it takes roots to appear will vary with from a couple of weeks to a month or more depending on the type of plant (and environment)... be patient for success is near when you use OLIVIA'S SOLUTIONS.

[​IMG]

13. Thanks sage will do.

14. Well my little ones didnt make it through the night. They were looking good until I placed the co2 brew in with them. went in this morning, and both were fried. Took 3 more today. I placed them in my clonex, and while they set for about a minute, I did my trim work on the leaves. After I was done trimming, put them in my root2gel containers and placed them in there heated geranium. Sprayed with spring water (collected yesterday), and sprayed the cover. Covered them with a king sized pillow case to keep light out for a 24 hour period. The sunrises at 9:00 p.m. in my tent, so will check on them then. I've had 100% success doing it this way, but I always say, if there's a quicker way to root, why not try it. The technique I use, usually produces roots in 5 to 9 days depending on the strain. Hopefully I have success with it again, cause I'm running outta babies here, lmao. Goodluck to all.

15. thanks for the info I've been reading a lot on cloning as I have not done it yet but I am planning on clonning a few plants as soon as possible.
    1 Does the potato graft have a very good succes rate?
    2 whats the youngest mother plant you would recomend clonning?

I have a homemade humidity dome and I have a plant that Is 3 weeks old. It has 8 potential bud sites that are pretty big. I plan on growing about 6 clones, but Was planning on taking the first to off soon. And in another week or 2 take another 2 off. I would honestly like to start cloning as soon as possible but I want to make sure that I dont lower my success rate. I have rooting hormone, the dome, a flourscent light, and some good organic soil. thanks for reading

16. that potato cloning technique is pretty funny, so what do you do in 2 weeks when you have a half rotted potato stuck to the bottom of your plant? will the marijuana roots grow through the potato or will your plant be feeding off of potato roots for the rest of its life lol

The technique where you cut through the stem and wrap with wet medium and a bag is interesting, when you have roots where do you cut the stem to remove your clone? do you cut part way through the bag/medium/roots or just below them.

I suck at cloning so far, I have some otherwise useless males I may try this on to get some practice

17. if possible don't clone. cutting the apical shoot off may affect plant development IMO. there is some virtue to the idea of keeping some plants for cloning, while allowing clones to grow to fullest size without any pruning whatsoever. Just give em enough light and they'll give back.

The potato method works. I wouldn't do it if I was looking for guaranteed success. When you plant the potato in the ground your plant's growth and microbes will convert the potato into organic material. Again this takes longer and is less preferred to rockwool or soil.

The Bag method - where the stem is wrapped with wet medium and a bag, is a standard cutting technique for hard stemmed plants (as opposed to cannabis- a soft stemmed plant). The roots will take longer to form so wrapping the cutting up in peat in a bag preserves the moisture then you leave it a lone for a month or so. Then you just put it in the light, new leaves will grow, indicating there are new roots. then take care not to mess with the new root ball too much as you remove the bag and plant into a standard nursery soil mix.

18. #59 urlove, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
    Hi,
    All cloning feels advanced to me
    Especially done on the fly.

My mother has been made lanky and blue powder dependent by the iliterate countryman who knew enough to add manure to peat. Anyway. He used some poison to fix the spider mites. And somehow put me on the spot to know what to do.

I have issues:

I want to. Clone a 1 yrold purple something
    maybe rudialis fro 8 yrs ago
    anyway clone the mother he gave me
    But I need to switch her over to organic
    Already her new burst of growth is appreciated but the

New stems which I have better chance of cloning need more growth.
    Its so compact I need more tine to get the
    necessary length to cut soft tissue
    They
    have a 3rd new internode on and show promise. I think it best to wait a3 weeks for the moon the change.
    Plus I need more time to prepare.
    It would nice if someone would lend a hand with my issues.

The bubbler. Coner seems. Neat. But
    So does the potatoe graft but I am not together enogugh to be foolish.
    Needing help as usual to slow. A bit and plan better.

Right before another attempt. I will take some cuts today as its worth a shot given what I have not learned in the last month.

So my big question:
    Is a bland peat ewcrice hull soil mix ok
    If I feed it botanical teas they should be very weak. 1/8 to 1/4.
    Leave in dark works for me 36 hr after cut.
    Add aloe and honey and "act loaded with aertated " ewc tea"..
    Thinking I should give the plants a good thorough wash with lacto innoculant. Followed 3 hrs later with a nut tea of alf kelp ewx act.
    Honey to clonex gel with aloe and load the soil with humic and fulvic solution neem needs to be added today. Don't know the solution rate. 1oz per gallon
    Areated water sit to while I trim the cut/ and paste water where dynagro protekt aloe join a weak combo tea of 1/2 alfalfa/1/10 kelp ~1/4 comfrey~1/4 horsetail~ 1/10 nettle some yuccca and neem.
    Can't remember there is a dilution rate to apply neem oil to the soil before I add cuts. Please anyone ?

Rainwater to soak the alf for 2 days
    65cfl's. Not sure how close with a plastic clear hood over heated cups.
    Any suggestions esp about the neem appreciated.
    And the internodes of the mother are short due to alfalfa kelp

19. I have leftover rockwool and recently swtiched over to coco and love it. I have two awesome indica mothers i would like to just keep and SOG or 1-week veg them after they root, then toss it under my 400w. I think I'm better off doing a SOG , perpetually harvesting a few plants a week and adding back, instead of growing 4-6 huge ass plants worrying about training them. My question is, for my first time cloning ever, do I stick the clone straight into some coco I have a constant supply of, or do I use the rock wool??

My veg room has one single T5 strip for the mothers and a 150 for the clones/vegging babies.