Advanced Cloning Techniques - Hard to Root or Valuable Plants

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by jcj77d, Jan 12, 2009.

1. i just made some of my first cuttings today and i was wondering if its normal for them to droop down a few hours after the snip? i think ive seen it somewhere that they droop but will perk back up, but like i said its my first realy cloning attempt and would like to know. ty in advanced. also was wondering if anyone happened to have any logged pics of clones day by day till roots took

2. Is there a better way to root a clone in soil than the potato method?

3. what about clones from flowering plants? I heard they branch like mad with no down time.anyone tried this out, I'm going to try the rootstock clone method with chem dog I got from a buddy its proving to be alittle more diffcult to root then my purple kush. does it matter if the rootstock is not the same strain? I want to use a rootstock from purple kush to root the chem dog.will this affect the strain? and yes it is the real chem dog

4. clones from flowering actually normally have a longer downtime to start growth because they have to kcik in the veg cycle again to focus on new growth in the foliage and roots. you are right about it branching out though. it happens with any plant though. you could start flowering a whole plant for 2-3 weeks then toss her back to veg and once she gets back on cycle the growth is monstorous

5. Yes, when I was still doing rockwool they ALWAYS tipped at least half way before perking back up so its not a horrible thing. When using an aero cloner it never happens.

6. Heres a report on the subject from a thread of mine in the beginners area that got ignored

One of the more frustrating aspect of growing for newbs seems to be cloning. Some people get it right away while other struggle for months just getting past this basic aspect of growing. Figured Id toss up my experience and hopfully make getting into this whole growing thing a little easier for some of you and releave some of the frustrations I see around the process. This is not a tutorial on cloning so if you need to know how to actually do it your better off going elsewhere to read up on that and them maybe come back here to get some traps marked on your map.

One of the most common issues I see posted from beginners is about cloning. Mostly questions about why they are having a hard time doing it, specifically with hydro cloners.
    *This advice is just as true with the rockwool medium for cloning*

PH is the single most important thing in having success with an areo cloner. Ive tried different nutrient formulas and variations trying to find the best and most consistent way of getting good clones and nothing compares to straight up properly PH'd water (Non RO).

PHPHPH, lemme spell it out one more time..... PH

Just about every lost batch, weak batch, inconsistent batch of clones Ive ever had the misfortune of creating was the direct result of bad and unmonitored PH.

Off Ph (DONT DO IT) - Bad PH will cause stems to turn into wood, massive yellowing, tip die off, and even clones that look fine but refuse to grow actual roots. An easy way to tell you messed up is when after more then a week or two your clones look good but the stem area exposed to the water takes on a woody appearance and feel or if you see a large white area that looks like it should have roots growing out of it but instead seems to grow more like cancer. If that happens not only did you mess your PH up but your clones are no good anymore, turning them around would take longer then just cutting new ones. Ive seen the same issue cloning in an aero cloner and in rockwool the problems and the symptoms are the same. I actually dumped rockwool just because these things are harder to monitor in a solid medium.

Some other issues

Air Bubble Aneurysm (DONT DO IT) - Basically it occures when air enters the stem after cutting. The short of it is your clone is going to die, end of story. If someone can provide more details or even images of what this looks like Id be forever greatfull. When you see instructions on cloning that involve cutting the clone and then making another cut under water this is exactly what they are trying to prevent. Also most cloning gels are used to prevent this by sealing the cut to prevent air entering. IMO it is essetial to take a cutting and IMMEDITLY get some gel on the end to seal the cut, THEN you can go ahead and scrape and whatever else you do, I apply gel twice before the cutting actually makes it into the cloner, once as soon as I make the cut and again after I have fussed around with the clone abit.

Too Many additives (DONT DO IT) - Clones have most of what they need on hand. Adding macro nutes, micro nutes and most other chems at this stage is not only not helpful but in most my experiments lowered the success rates a great deal. I mostly attribute this to the chemicals affecting the PH of the solution more then that actual content of the chemicals but I cannot say for sure. All I can say is DO NOT USE MACRO OR MICRO FOOD when cloning. I know that *liquid karma* (insert your micro brand here) seems tempting at this stage but it is not going to help and has more potential to clog your pump or screw up your PH then to actually help your clone.

RO Water (DONT DO IT) - I use a filter system that is NOT RO so I cannot advise on the difference but IF I stumbled into some RO water and that was all I had I would probably add about 5ml/Gallon of Cal/Mag just to get it in the 100-150 ppm range like the normal water I do use. For the blades with more info on the cal/mag relationship with cloning please comment and let us know.

Superthrive (DO IT) - There is a pretty interesting debate on if using superthrive is a good thing, a bad thing, a TOXIC thing, or not a thing at all. I can say in MY experience superthrive is the only single chemical that has had a positive affect on my clones. When doing a side by side with just H2O + ST and Just H2O the ones with superthrive looked healthier (stayed greener longer) and tended to look about a day ahead of the batch not using it. Again I cannot say for sure but I personally do think it is a positive thing in cloning.

Cloning Gel (DO IT) - seems to help more on sealing the wound to prevent air entry into the stem then in producing roots. Common source is willow bark. We are talking about aero systems here so most of that gets washed off almost right away so its hard to say if it really helps. but I can say it does not hurt! When taking clones I usually toss in a few drops of the leftover gel into the cloner just for kicks but it does not seem to make anything faster or slower in comparison with not doing it.

Stem Scraping (DO IT) - very importent to getting roots in a short time frame. I would not go as far to say its a deal breaker but clones taken without some kind of stem scraping is going to take twice as long if it works at all. Reason being that its one of the inner layers of the stem that actually has the right kind of cells to form roots.

Stem Splitting (DONT DO IT) - this is something I had to unlearn and will prbably catch some flame because I dont belive in. Basically the theory is that you split the stem about an inch up the middle in order to encourage a greater surface area for roots to form on. In my experience this seems to invite the dredded air bubble into the stem. Ive ran clones side by side slitting the stem and not and in most cases the ones that where not split had better clones if there was any difference at all. My overall loss rates are also lower since I stopped splitting the stems.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I rooted cuttings many times with 100% sucess but recently had 4 fail. I think it was too cold. After 18 days they still hanging on but no roots at all. So my big question is, it has been stated keep roots warm but what is the ideal root zone temperature range???

8. I think its 78% not poss tho

9. OK i found somewhere else says 74 to 78. Cant be sure that is right.

10. *BUMP*

good info ;)

11. Ha ha ! Someone bumped a stuck thread. Thats FUNNY !!!! Must be smoking too much.

12. this is a stupid ? but what is" bumped" I'm new to this posting thread etc.

13. bumping is when a thread gets moved down the list or onto page 2 and the OP or someone with a question or wanting comments on something will BUMP it back up to the top of the list. its funny because its sticky'd so its always at the top :p

14. Yeah, it was meant as a joke, but some people are so ignorant, right away they assume everyone EXCEPT them is stupid.
    When the reality is, they are the ones who don't get it:laughing::devious::laughing:

15. Thats awesome !!!!! When you fall down I bet you say ''I meant to do that".

16. Thread good man. The grafting methods r very interesting and I definitley b expected. I read the graft b4 but always sounds so technical and Stoner, but give me a step by step b can be confident that I could only pull this off. Thanks for the info bro, much appreciated

17. What is the ideal PH?

18. 5.8 is ideal
    5.5 - 6.5 will work though.

19. great fucking thread man! i am always looking for new techniques to add to my grow skills and this is just what i needed to read today..i have been growing from Seed for a while now but i just got my first roots in the bubble cloner..thanks to many threads simular to this.

PUFFER

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. #40 rthuba, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
    I can only do my babies for 3 days on, 3 days off. I use 2 aerogardens i got off craigslist. 10 clones good for about 3+" then i transplant to rockwool. the gel drop off the end is nice.

a ppm meter and ph tester are the only ones you can trust.