genetic engineering.

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by aggwidow, Jan 6, 2009.

1. YOUR THE MAN, get it.

2. The thing is, the effects are known. Thats where the research comes in; its not just a bunch of crazies throwing random mutations at the plants. Every step is calculated to the nth degree. The orange was just an example of what is capable with genetic engineering.

A more scientific breakdown is this:
    Biochemically isolate all the required enzymes for the production of THC, CBD, pink hairs, blue hairs, whatever you want to amplify and express.
    Perform N-terminal sequencing on isolated enzymes, design degenerate PCR primers and amplify the genes.
    Clone genes into an agrobacterial vector by introducing the desired piece of DNA into a plasmid containing a transfer or T-DNA. The mixture is transformed into a gram negative bacterium.
    Wound and infect the plant with this bacterium and DNA transfer will work similarly to conjugation.

Traditional cross-breeding does not allow you to do this with such precision, and may not allow you to stabilize certain genes despite inbreeding over and over again. Cross-breeding will get you only so far, but if you want that super crop, you need to take it to this next step.

I understand your point of view, but just like commercial crops, naturally occurring traits can get you only so far, and then the rest is up to us. There is a celing of how far these natural traits can take the cannabis plant. Now, I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with cross-breeding cannabis, and I'm happy with the way the plants are now. All I'm saying that, if in the future you have two seeds you can pick - Purple Kush for instance. One is the same as it is now, the other, however, is capable of producing 10x the yield, is resistant to pests and can be grown in a wider variety of conditions - which would you chose?

3. I think your vision has been blurred by the cloud of flies swarming above the crap you spew, as it's growing opaque. You're<--(as we like to use the contraction meant to replace -you are-) like the crapalizer bunny, you just keep spewing and spewing and spewing. LOL.;)

The reason he can't conjugate or punctuate is 'cause he let his computer naturally evolve from an 8-track tape deck. LMAO :poke:

4. #24 Reinstate Mary, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
    I got that all, and I know that the cross breading is a slow and indeterminable proses, but i think that thats the fun of it.

You make that seed and let me choose:). I'm still not persuaded on the side of pro genetic engineering, UNtill they make elephants the size of dogs, then I'm all for it.

5. So your not the man? that sucks, I thought I was talking to the man. Well maybe you can strive in your life to become the man. till then, have fun not being the man.

6. Believe it or not, i actually agree with you. I'm no more in favor of genetic engineering than i am of excess holes in my head. My initial response to your post was designed to remind you that handing out hasty insults to an entire thread is at the very least uncalled for.

No matter the topic, when posting in the advanced growing forums you're likely to be answered with equal fervor. Just some friendly advice. ;)

7. But im saying, my point was that It was intended on getting people to think that its not a saving grace for the future of marijuana. I'm not at all surprised to see that you agree with me, there are in fact, millions of people who are on the same page likewise. It makes me happy to see that you can finnaly come to an agreeable term to speak on, rather then a "defencitory" one or a "rudiculeistic" one, Im gonna make it clear that language is a barrier, I fully understand this to be a fact of reality, and I'm sorry that you had to take such an abrupt turn in your talk. But I thank you for stoping the game, I would rep you for the kind words, but I already did that some time before.

8. #28 ricard0, Jan 11, 2009
    The road to hell is paved in good intentions, and although you are to be commended for your ardent defense of mother nature and her proclivity for evolution, that's no excuse for jumping into a thread, insults flying. I see you're capable of thumbing a dictionary, and language doesn't seem to be a barrier for you. You seem to have a decent handle on english, be it a second language or not.

I don't think anyone here is saying genetic engineering is the "saving grace for the future of marijuana". This is simply a venue to discuss the topic. Spare the insults. :rolleyes:

Just try introducing your opinion in a less offensive manor. Typically, your first post in a thread should offer some applicable view/point. And at the very least be tempered with some class.

I think we've muddied the OP's thread a bit here (sorry for that aggwidow, my man from the Pan Handle), so let us embody the old saying that "discretion is the better part of valor". Because the "game" is to contribute to the discussion, not argue intangible opinions.

If you want to campaign for the reform of currently unsafe/controversial MJ growing/breeding practices (or the potential practice thereof), maybe you should start your own thread to converse the topic. Just a suggestion. ;)

9. #29 Reinstate Mary, Jan 11, 2009

Na man thats some screwd politics there man. Telling me that I cant toss out my idea of this topic. Your first idea of how my input was offensive was cleared up for you, then you also stated that I was not contributing information to the topic at hand, I have two problems with this,

1) I was contributing an opinion on genetic engineering in regards to marijuana
    that was going against the overall feeling and idea of the thread, as far as i could see.

2) You tell me that I need to have my first post in a contributionial manner (which it was but it was not up to your par) but you do not see the need to follow your own advice.

As I recall your first post was related to being on someones balls. and still you have not contributed anything to the topic at hand, you have only succeeded in looking like
    an arrogant asshole aimlessly antagonizing anything that you see as rude or vulgar or w/e. like i said before, your head might not be as far up your ass as i think it is, but now its just seeming to really come full circle
    seriously get it out of there, for a breath of fresh air. Then go grow a pair, but don't come back here, Cas I REALY don't care.

Please don't talk back to me, for I am making it clear for others to relize what an idiot you really are, you may have some of the most eloquant righting on this thread, but that could also contribute to my idea of your sex, not meaning male or female, as in your interests. Thats just a low blow because I felt like falling on your level.

Don't get me wrong I feel what your saying as far as insults and what not, thats why I cleared it up. But, your still coming off as an ardent asshole.

10. This is not a last post game by any means.

And I'm still interested in genetic engineering because of the possabilitys that are at hand, Hence the dog sized elephant idea, but I'm weary of the stability and effects of doing such a thing. Dose anyone have anything that would be able to help me know that there is a greater margin of safety then it currently seems to have?

11. why would it have to be a gram (-) bacterium. what effect does peptidoglycan in the membrane have on incorporating the genes. and couldnt labs in cali do this if they had state funding, or even private for that matter. i mean yeah the feds but less of a chance. i would invest in that research

12. lol

Reinstate Mary = Douche.

Im all for Improving on the cannabis plant.

Ive heard about people splicing weed with hops and making beer that gets you high..

Ive even seen a guide on it somewhere..

13. Yo DD, I put a rod up ur moms cavern every night, So does the rest of the world.

The only reason your call me a douche is because thats what I give your mom before I leave her there, laying on the basement floor. You mighta pick that up when you were little.

Yo soy tu abuelo bitch.

14. lets not be rude guys. Reinstate mary has his views and we have ours. leave him alone. now back to the thread please. and to add. you would still be able to get natural pot. not every plant would be genetically engineered. this could be used one day for medicinal purposes. marinol anyone?? not really engineering but medicine supported by federal budget.

15. I've heard of Marinol, I also heard that its not brand new shoes either, it's like used uptowns from 82'.

16. Practically a dead threat, but most of the THC enzymatic pathway gene sequences have been mapped along with a draft version of the genome. Its not a question of if genetic engineering will happen but rather a question of what genes should we target. 

The technology and equipment is available at a low enough cost these days that it is possible to do without the need for federal or state funding. It does require an extreme dedication to the goal, MacGuyver skills and a thorough mastery of the science, but not an astronomical budget. :)

17. love seeing the posts in a thread that gets someone banned. always makes for entertainment.