how long till plants show ther sex

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by buzo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. hi gc. i have 4 plants they have been flowering for 9 days now.
    how long till they show ther sex

my light 400w hps

thank again gc

2. Depends on strain and how long u veg'. I have had some show signs of sex n 3 or 4 days and as much as 2 weeks. They will show any day now. Patient's...i dont have it either:smoking:

3. strain 2x afgan kush 5 weeks old
    strain 2x orange bud 4 and a half weeks

4. should be happening shortly, the pistils your looking for are much smaller than most photo's show at the start, easy to miss to the untrained eye

5. How long did you veg? All my plants show sex in veg with preflower around week 3 from germination. Never had a strain not show sex by preflower by day 28 from germination.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Sounds to me like your doing something wrong. Plants don't show sex until they are entering the flowering phase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I don't think you've ever grow...

I also choose my plants by PRE FLOWERING

By the way some plants show there sex only after 7-8 weeks of veg

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ya I always sex in Veg aswell. A plant will not show its sex tho until it has reached maturity, in veg or in flowering. In my past experience 1 to 3 months in veg is long enough for pistils to start showing. Hope that helps.

9. some pics might help:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  10. right you are sir

but lets keep it more straight up ok preflowers usually determine sex(if you have bad eyes get a microscope) and you can determine it from as early as the first month

but there are certain factors if you screw up and stress your plant you can make that her a he-she or a him

just take care of those bitches like your babies :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Indeed. I've just found a female preflower in the middle of week 6, others are starting to grow but aren't identifiable yet.

12. yes pay attention to those bitches.

just a little lack of mind can let a male thrive amongst the femmes.

some things i do to make 'em go': water with luke warm water, add nutes high in PK especially K, keep temperatures between 70-85 F, use red and blue lights, add some carbon by pouring three cups of sugar and a teaspoon of yeast to a liter of water. OH and make sure the chamber is sealed so NO light enters in the dark time .

if your plant is rootbound transplant carefully to a larger container, if soil is not drying fast add more perlite. transplanting is a good time to adjust your soil composition

13. Just for a quick correction... and sorry to just jump in the this thread... abuse cannot turn a female plant to a male. Impossible from a scientific point of view. BUT both females and males can become hermaphroditic.

I work for a hemp breeder who creates new hybrids and he was explaining all this stuff to me a little while back...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I will have too look tomorrow when I stop by the site but I believe my girls are six weeks or seven weeks old since first braking ground , and I have been wondering about how long I will be waiting before starting to see preflowers but according to some of you guys i should start seeing them soon! Also this is my first indoor grow and I am wondering will they show while I have lights at 18/6 I want to get as many clones as possible at this point. Lastly I have a fallen angel clone that was set outdoors when rooting and went directly into flower so I had him under 24 hrs of light for a few days then stuclick her in with the other veging plants under 18/6 she took a while but has finally started stretching and putting length between nodes but below that she is packed in so tightly that I am worried that there isn't any airflow getting through there do you guys think it would be wise to go in there and try to clean up some of the leaves down in there? They are starting to even look at bit strangled to me!

15. You're replying to a thread from 2012.

Preflowers in plants from seed are random depending on strain. I've seen them at about 6-8 weeks and I've also grown plants for 3 months and never seen preflowers.

In clones it's a totally different story. They regularly put out very early preflowers sometimes when they are like two weeks old.

16. Can only say that of many hundreds of different strains i've grown indoors, there is no randomness about preflowers, they are there. Use an eyelupe. I've never seen a strain not show sex (in my grows) by week 5 veg. 90% show before week 4 from seed pop. That's just what these plants do and most experienced growers know it. I only grow from seed, never grown clones.

17. I frequently have preflowers on my clones by the time they are less then two weeks old. My recent legal growing was started with 16 bagseeds I popped that I had saved for 5-10 years. I budded 4 plants out of those seeds, gave away a few but ended up saving 4 of the first popped seed crop for my 2nd crop. They ended up vegging the entire first crop's veg time which was about 7 weeks and then the entire bud cycle of the first crop which was 10 weeks to finish. After all that time I had two plants that had no preflowers at all and I didn't know if they were going to be male when I flowered them. They were like 4 months old. No preflowers. I know exactly what they look like. They did end up being female. I've never grown a pure male from seed, only hermies and females.

Since then I've never had a plant grow that long with no preflowers but I've been working with clones ever since for years now. With clones everything preflowers very early. Seeds, not every time from my experience. Most times, yes it does happen at about 4-6 weeks. There's no guarantee though. I've seen it myself. Just because you haven't seen preflowers by 8 weeks or more doesn't mean it's a male.

18. Depends on the strain. I have 4 blueberries still in veg week 5 that have pistils everywhere just waiting to burst into flowers. But I’ve had plants take over 2 weeks of stretch before they popped pistils. It’s strain, and plant dependent. Sorry, no right answer here.

• Like Like x 1