What is the "best" grinder to get?

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by j4cks0ne23, Dec 27, 2008.

1. #1 j4cks0ne23, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
    Okay, I'm going to get a new grinder. I'm sick of picking my bud by hand, or using the s#!tty plastic one I have and wasting all the kief. I looked around on the forums, did a search and couldn't find a real post about grinders...which is surprising since I know someone must have posted one before. Honestly, I did search, but if this post is just another repeat and if I'm beating a dead horse, I apologize. But anyway, brass tax:

I've been looking at getting the mix'n ball v.3 screen herb grinder:

[​IMG]

http://store.mixnball.com/cubecart/index.php/classic-screen-pollen-herb-grinder/p_10.html

or this Chromium Crusher one from Amazon:

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Chromium-Crusher-Premium-Quality-non-aluminum/dp/B001CPRYLK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1230411280&sr=1-8"]http://www.amazon.com/Chromium-Crusher-Premium-Quality-non-aluminum/dp/B001CPRYLK/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1230411280&sr=1-8[/ame]

So my first question is - which one should I get? I mean, I don't know how good the mix'n balls are and they're $40, and the amazon one would essentially be free for me since I have like $25 in amazon giftcards. If the mix'n ball grinders are SOOOO good, then I guess it would be worth it to invest.

My second question is - are there any other REALLY good screen herb grinders out there that are relatively cheap, and by cheap I mean, cheaper than the mix'n ball ($40), because I couldn't live with myself wasting more than that on a grinder....I'm a broke college kid, can't help it.

2. i hear only good about sharpstone. tho i don't personally own one.

3. i have a SharpStone, it grinds very nicely as well as catches kief. it ran me 40 bucks from a local head shop...and my buddy got one there for 50 that's a little bigger... but i think you can get them on E bay for around 20 plus shipping. out of the 2 grinders you have chose though, i would go with e bottom.

4. i have a sharpstone, and it works great....

only problem is when you grind up dank a lot of kief gets stuck to the inside of the grinder, but i just do a qwiso run every couple months and it's fine

i would go with the chromium if i were you

5. i have a nice diamond grind that i got for about 47 bucks at the head shop on campus. it isnt huge but it it gets the job done. grinds nicely and has a nice kief compartment

6. The "Best" grinder is a Space Case. Hands down. The best bang-for-your-buck grinder is a SharpStone. Ebay probably has both, but there are a lot of fake space cases out there so watch for it.

7. spacecase

8. I've heard a few people with Sharpstones complain about finding metal shavings in their bud. But I've been told Mendo Mulcher is the best you can buy. They're crazy expensive at headshops though. I saw one that was like four pieces and 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter. They wanted like $60 for it. They actually told me that brand is the best you can get, and I know they weren't just trying to get me to buy the most expensive one there. I'd check those out if I were you.

9. +1 for sharpstone...I love mine.

10. I'm not an expert by any means, but I just got a cosmic grinder and it's pretty nice. American made (means no lead from China) and the teeth are bored out of the case so they don't fall out. They also pressure wash the machine oils away. I don't care to smoke machine oils and metal shavings anymore lol. They have 'em with kief screens, but they're way expensive. Probably going to run you around $60-$80 for a decent size one.

Quick tip as well: ALWAYS keep your grinder in the freezer if you have a kief catcher. You'll be able to collect WAY more kief that way. So yeah. My guess is that any of the better quality grinders out there will do the trick for you. Happy toking!

-TheDirtyHippie

11. SpaceCase FTW FTW

12. every brand mentioned is biting on the name that space case created.. go with the first, the best and the most proven over time

space case all the way.. aircraft grade aluminum is excellent when paired with great buds

13. Found a sharpstone on amazon. Price and shipping would make this a free gift.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/SHARPSTONE-Aluminum-Pollen-Grinder-SCRAPER/dp/B000MQHCWG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1230424322&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: SHARPSTONE 2.5" Inch LARGE CNC Aluminum 4 PC Pollen Herb Spice Grinder. INCLUDES POLLEN SCRAPER: Everything Else[/ame]

14. ive heard mixed reviews on the Sharpstones, but they are mostly good, some people report metal shavings though. if you can save up some money, get a Space Case. hands down THE best grinder you will ever use, i used to own a titanium one but it got stolen by a fucking bum. now i use a shitty plastic one

15. yea, i've been thinking about this grinder all day at work today. i'll look up a spacecase....never even heard of that one. no one's said anything about the mix'nball so i guess i'll stay away from that one.

but damn, metal shavings from a sharpstone...f that. i don't need more crap in my lungs. we'll see, odds are i'm leaning towards a that chromium, a spacecase (if its cheap) or i'll get a sharpstone ( a cheap one that has a kief catcher)

16. I've had my sharpstone for almost a year now, and i love it.

Pros Cons
    +cheap -Kief can get stuck in the pollen catcher area
    +comes in colors
    +mine has stayed real sharp

I can compare to a spacecase, and can't find any reason to go with one of those over a cheaper grinder that is just as good (AKA the sharpstone)

the chromium whatchamacallit looks suspiciously similar to my sharpstone, and may be the same thing with a different distribution name on it

17. sharpstone doesnt give off metal shavings -- the metal shavings people are talking about only occur at the beginning of usage, and not in all grinders. they are left over metal shavings from the holes being drilled, or loose metal from the holes being drilled ...from everything I've read and inferred. before you grind bud, just grind the grinder with nothing in it and wash it with iso. if you still get metal shaving, it will only last one or two times and that's it.

as for "every grinder listed here" biting space cases.. rofl!

/edit I have the same 4pc sharpstone and it works fantastic. i have absolutely 0 problems with it and it is only $20. it works phenomenal.

18. Mine never had any metal shit in my weed

sharpstone FTW

19. #20 j4cks0ne23, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2008
    ok, slippeh and goodfoot, your posts literally pushed me over the edge. i finally caved and just went for the cheaper sharpstone from amazon. it cost me $0.20...i had like $22.78 from free gift cards, and the total came to $22.98. a 20 cent grinder....i'm not complaining.

but we'll see, i'll see how it grinds once i get it. if it somehow sucks, which i doubt since most people swear by it, i'll look for other grinders.

anyone know if there's a legit site that carries space case grinders? ebay is just too sketchy for me...too much fake crap on there.