Outdoor Grow Guide

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Corto Malteze, Dec 19, 2008.

1. No idea! I never grew there because no vegetation to hide the plants. Plus all the wood cinders would make the soil very (too) alkaline for mj.

2. #42 Corto Malteze, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2009
    Yes exactly. During winter, everything is still so it's still good as we "speak". Starting in March, as it warms up, you want to have the holes ready so the manures and meals have time to warm up and to attract bugs/worms that will decompose them by the time summer comes (June). Keep the plants in pots with a less hot mix until then. Compost takes 1 year to be made. Horse manure, seaweed and meals take less (4-5 months is good). Some manures like chicken and cow take 1 year: careful! I'd say mid March/beg. April is the latest to add manures and meals (Feb is good enough). If you do the holes later, just use older store bought and less manures but more peat, worm castings and potting soil/sand/old dirt. You can always feed them with organic teas as long as you have some micro organisms in there (worm castings, fish, compost....). You can find less hot equivalents (alfalfa for blood meal for example...) if needed. Or add lime/cinders (after the manures) if it's too acidic (test the pH before putting plants in if nec.).

3. would an aqua globe work?
    for water,
    water water,
    :bongin:

4. #44 .:JaY:., Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
    +rep for this thread. If I was growing in an area with an abundance of pine trees what type of prepping should I give the holes? I was thinking of to 80% For Farm Ocean Forest and 20% perlite but this will get expensive with 10 fem plants, correct?

5. #45 Corto Malteze, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009
    Yeah tha's a great soil mix recommended by experienced growers. I'm not in the Us so don't know about the prices. I'm sure someone used this already and will guide you well. Good luck.:)

Corto's Link on Indoor/Outdoor grow if your season is short:

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-outdoor-growing/346455-outdoor-soil.html

Corto's How to find your spot at night without making any paths. During the day, choose the most discrete way into the patch (thick). Once in the patch:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/general-outdoor-growing/346051-micro-scouting.html

6. #46 .:JaY:., Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
    At my local hydroponics store the price of Ocean Forest Soil is $25 and the bag is 1.5 cubic feet (38.6 dry quarts). I'm going dig 10 holes with the dimensions of 2x2x2, correct me if I'm wrong but that will come out to 1.6 cubic feet of Ocean Forest Soil and .4 cubic feet of perlite. Is there any alternative soil mixes I can use that will work just as well and be a little cheaper? I know the pine needles make the soil acidic but would I be able to use the native soil? Sorry for all the questions I just need to start getting ready for spring time.

Edit: This will be my first time growing so I don't know what makes a good soil mix... This mixture seems to be both cheap and effective: 30 cow manure - 30 peat moss or potting mix - 30 native soil.
    Instead of the native soil will the Ocean Forest work okay?

7. Damn, I think I have everything but the direct sunlight :( Indirect I have, but not direct.

8. Look better then.

9. See my pm!

10. This might sound super noob, hence the fact I'm reading this, when it comes time to cut the males how do you tell the differnece between male and felmale?

11. This can help you out. Or google other pics of later male and female flowers.

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/101130-sexing.html

12. so im at my local plant/nusery store, and nutrients is in like everything. should i look a product made for tomatoes? I dont know what to get

13. Hey man thanks for the post i plan to start my first germination soon. But i have a question. so when does the plant need alot of sunlight right after the germination process or what?

14. #54 Corto Malteze, Feb 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
  15. Well for veg: N (nettles, fish emulsion)

for flowering: P (bat guano) and K (molasses, greensand)

trace elements found in seaweed (store).

Some slow release ferts for tomatoes can be good. Make sure they're organic imo. Slow release ferts like epsoma garden tone and plant tone (see Oldskool) are real good and you'll just need to water as the ferts are released progressively. Yes tomatoes work like mj but make sure you have something for vegging, something for flowering, organic is better imo (use manures a few months earlier to planting and feed with teas if you want it organic).

16. Question: I'm wondering how far to plant from a water source....I'm looking at a small stream, marsh, and maybe some springs. I'm trying to eliminate the need to water.

Am I looking to find mostly dry or moist soil? I don't want to run the risk of root rot, but I don't want to worry about them dehydrating either.

17. it depends on how far your willing to carry water to your plants... or if its marsh maybe you could dig a deep ass hole and get water at the bottom of you hole? to water your plants with.....

umm you have to take into consideration summer rains and what not whats moist ground now might be very wet com summmer when it rains.. what i have herd of ppl doing is buildint a squar wooden pot ontop of the very moist soil.. you foots will fine the moist soil and drink from it.

18. #58 Corto Malteze, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2009

Even a water source 20- 30 mins away is good because you won't have to bring the water with your car. I use a wheelbarrow (hidden) if the water source is far. One of the sources is 10 mins away, another 45 mins when loaded with water. I fill it up and bring it all to the spot (enough for 2 waterings or so -20 days- with a 3 plant pot). So bring more and leave some to not have to do the big trip every week or so. You are right to look at this problem carefully. It is vital and a real bitch if things aren't set up right.
    I have no rain here in summer so I never count on any. I don't grow on wet land (but pots are great there or box devices like Thisisfunforme said. My area is dry as hell. Using a peat based or coco coir based soil with organic manures and worm castings, some clay, will keep the water good enough. You can also place a small tarp (remove from hole after of course) with a few holes at the bottom but not covering the whole bottom or any of the sides (so roots continue through holes and on sides) and water is held by the tarp too. My region is VERY dry so I need this. I don't use water crystals. I water a lot every 10 days (water slowly but a lot: give the soil and the plant time to absorb). Choose a spot not in full South. Or if it is, make sure it has natural shade. This will save your grow. ;) . My plots are 20-30 mins car ride and 30-45 mins walk once I arrive so I can't water every 3 days. Don't forget the mulch to save water and avoid big temperature differences.

19. Where I am, it's very mountainous and it's pretty decent in the summer. We'll have more moisture in the ground this year than the last couple. The places I'm initially thinking of are pretty far out in the hills. About the same walk you have to yours. The thing is, carrying all that stuff in might be a problem. I'd like to find out if I can gather things from the area to use to set up my plot. Maybe old rotten wood from downed trees, a little gravel from the creek bed for drainage, muck from a pond, etc.... things like that? Not necessarily those things, but using whats around in nature to prepare the soil and add nutrients without buying or carrying in more than is absolutely necessary. Not tryin to be cheap, just resourceful. I don't like to buy anything that God freely distributes in nature:) I guess I'm thinking of it like if my plants will be on a survival mission. My first one will be named Bear Grylls.lol If you don't know of what to gather and use, I'll do some reading and post it here when I find out.

20. Then check this out:

http://forum.grasscity.com/general-outdoor-growing/330483-easy-free-outdoor-soil-preparation.html