Ska anybody?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Chubigans, Dec 18, 2008.

1. dude, hell yeah a ska thread, was not expecting that.

some of my old classecs include the bosstones, lessthanjake, reel big fish, the toasters, mustard plug, man i could go on, but as far as a band you might not have heard of, Im from orlando and these 2 bands have been around forever, sadly one is no longer together, but hopefully youll like it and let it live on.
    check out The Spitvalves and The Supervillains.

oh, last one, You heard Mephiskaphales before?

2. Yes I do. slightly stoopid, sublime, Pepper.

3. #43 gabzk, Jan 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009
    pretty much everything thats been listed in this thread is ska-punk/ska-core.
    the only ska band ive seen mentioned was the specials and even then its not original ska.

edit:
    this man knows his shit, gotta love them maytals.

4. Hey I don't know where you've been for the last 50 years, but ska is DEAD. When I say that i'm referring to old ska bands such as Desmond Dekker, Toots, The Skatalites. They created ska, it was its own dance music style. Now it's dead.

What do we have? We have two tone bands who kept it alive in some form closer to the original, and then third wave bands which still give a nod to the original ska style.

You're right about Streetlight and RBF not being "Ska" in that they don't have a repetitive ska structure. But anyone who's in a ska band these days is sure as hell to know the great original bands and not just the stuff that was made in the past 20 years. It's a nod to the greats.

That's like saying modern Power metal isn't metal, because it's not the original metal created at it's inception. Or modern punk rock isn't punk, because it's got a softer (evolved) sound.

On the subject of punk, look at how bad religion stuck around. Are they not a punk band with The empire strikes first, still? What about "How can hell be any worse?"

Music evolves. End of story.

5. Hey I'm from Orlando too and I know the supervillains but not the spitvalves.

You should hit me up on a PM or something... do you go to UCF?

6. Yeah, I hear you and agree with most of what you said (While I personally think most of the bands listed are crap, i.e. DEVOLVED in this case, haha). But Imagine a thread on the Blues where Robert Johnson isn't mentioned till page 3? You know what I mean, kinda disappointing.