Using Molasses as a nutrient

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Leapfrog, Nov 6, 2008.

1. I use "Brier Rabbit's Unsulfered Molasses" which apparently is owned by "Grandmas"

Works great.. 2tblsb/gal every 2 days for me!

:bongin: ~Experimentalist

• Like Like x 1
  2. What would happen if I was to Veg with Molasses? If it does all that I've read it does I see no reason why not to Veg with it as well. I'm a nub though so what do you guys think?

Now my plant gets water cocktails, Molasses, Superthrive and this stuff called VX-11. MMmm grow!:hello:

3. if your ferts are all organic, or if thats irreverent, do you have to stop 2 weeks before harvest? cant you feed up until harvest?

4. No you don't have to stopand yes you can feed 'till harvest.

5. so why is it strongly recommended? would the reefer have a weird mollassey taste?

plants got molasses a few days after beginning of flowering, and another 2 weeks later(yesterday) Im thinking about giving them a smaller, consistent dose of molasses once or twice a week, along with big bloom. but they'll also probably be getting cut in 3 weeks...

i guess my point is as long as you keep the doses low, can you feed molasses to them consistently in smaller doses?

6. I rock molasses in every watering.. no negative effects noticed so far. I put 1 tablespoon
    per gallon for every watering, which for me, is every two days.

Like I said.. haven't noticed anything bad so far and I've been doing this for a couple of
    months now.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Would this work with hydroponics? would the dosage be the same 2tsbp per gal?

8. It would likely clog your system, support algae growth etc. so no I wouldn't go for it.

9. Yeah but he could probably unclog it easily using a bottle cap, a piece of string, and the
    letter Q.

10. with fox farm nutes, you alternate between using nutes and plain water. what about using molasses in the non-nute watering cycle to continue to boost the roots, as is
    done during the flush.

thnx, p

11. Yea, but i already used my sting and letter Q to make my vaporizer. damnit!:(

:D haha

12. BlackStrap Molasses acts as a chelating agent so I can help the plant up take nutrients. From what I read a lot of the all in one liquid plant foods are made from molasses or use molasses as the main ingredient.

13. ima figger out a way to use it in my hydro set up. switching to flowering in a couple weeks so i'll be the guinea pig for molasses in hydro. i'll let u know what i come up with

14. Just wanted to add that I have been adding 2tsp per gallon with every watering to both my vegging and flowering plant's for the last two or three months with no I'll effects. Thanks again OP!

15. If you check out my link below for wall unit grow you can see the buds i grew to harvest while consistently watering with molassess throughout the flowering stage. I've read alot on it. You can use it all throughout your grow. Perhaps the biggest advantage to molasses is the way it promotes micro life in your soil. Remember? feed the soil let the soil feed the plant. Another use of molasses is sticky sides.

mix two tbsps molasses to a gallon of water, spray solution on the sides of an empty container, stripe the sides and bottom with blood meal and bone meal. Then put in a bottom layer of manure. I just read about this technique.

16. so grandma's original gold/yellow is black strap molasses?
    i read some where it wasn't but their green label is.
    if not.. does anyone know if the gold label grandma's is any good?

17. Check the label, if it mentions "Sulfured" or anything else along that line don't use it.

18. leapfrog

Just for sh*ts and grins sometime, check out your local 'wholesale bakery' company or perhaps a general food-service company like SYSCO. There are any number of companies - I just mentioned them because they're a national company.

In that paradigm there any number of options like organic molasses from Barbados, organic molasses derived from sorghum out of Canada, organic molasses derived from sugar beets out of Montana, etc.

If you buy these type of products you'll save a ton of money and they're all 'human-grade' food items.

Contacting a local 'organic bakery' is another source. They'll sell you a quart or two for little more than they pay for these products.

RE: Blackstrap Molasses

This product is the '3rd boil' as it's known in the sugar cane industry. It has about a 10% sugar level (a good thing, IMHO) and since it's the last 'boil' in the process of using sugar cane, per se, it has the highest levels of nutrients.

HTH

LumperDawgz