Using Molasses as a nutrient

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Leapfrog, Nov 6, 2008.

1. So everyone is saying 1 tablespoon per gallon. but how often? do you put 1 tablespoon
    per gallon every time you water? I water my plant daily. how often should i ad it?

Thanks

~!!~ AMARU

2. ive always used it in flowering, from day 1 of 12/12 till harvest even during flush, w/ great results

3. This is a great thread. I used molases at each feed for the last 3 weeks of my lowryder II lady (first grow) just harvested her now and she's looking amazing.

How early on can you start using molases beneficially? Ive used it at each watering since I managed to get hold of some and was considering using it throughout the entire next grow. as it benefits the soil microbes i presume it could be of benefit from the start.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I used brown sugar in a grow once, and totally overdid it, it attracted flies and there were dozens of larvae in the soil of my plant, but I will try the 1 or 2 tsp. per gal. blackstrap molasses during flowering sometime. I do know how beneficial the sugars can be from a previous high times article I had read.

5. i have read this article before as well, but completely forgot about it as i havent grown in a couple years

so does this mean i won't need my Botanicare 'Sweet' anymore?? label: organic carbohydrate synthesizer 0-0-0, derived from: epsom salts, ferrous sulfate (research shows the ferrous sulfate is used in horticulture to kill moss and condition soil) non-plant food ingredients: cane sugar. so epsom salt, cane sugar, and the ferrous sulfate is an overpriced additive. this stuff wasn't cheap, but i just HAD to have it!

would the molasses potentially replace this stuff? or could i use both of them for even better results?

6. will Grandma's brand original molasses work?

7. As long as that brand does not add Sulphur to it - yes.

Black Strap molasses is the most popular one though.

8. yeah it said unsulphured on the front so i figure im good.

9. I had a conversation with one of the employees at a local garden shop..and he recommended the Botanicare Sweet. I can see the benefits...but I didnt want to drop $20 on it at the time. I am perfectly fine with the unsulpherated goodness I use.

10. I picked up some House of Herbs Blackstrap Molasses from Meijer for like 2 or 3 bucks, will this kind work or is there a certain brand....

[​IMG]

11. Read the ingredients: As long as there is no sulfur in it your plants will be fine!

:)

12. thanks leapfrog for the great info, I'm using pure blend pro grow and flower. Could I add the molasses to the water I use to feed with? Also, should I add it to all water the plant gets in both veg and flowering? Again, thank you for posting this. :smoke:

13. bumpin it

14. Yes you add it to the water during the last about 1/3 of the living cycle of the plant. That's how I recommend it. Then stop the same time you stop fertilizing (about 2 weeks before harvest).

15. thanks man, I appreciate it. I'll give it a try and report bacjk on how it works for me. :eek:

16. checking this out on the 2nd batch - hopefully all goes well at 2tsp/gallon, i'lll be sure to post results

17. If you have enough plants see if you can exclude one from feeding Molasses to and let us know the difference.

18. i just used 1tbsp per gl tonight on my true blue scrog, hopefully i will start seeing results in a couple of days, i am on day 17 of 12/12.

19. \

Pics are always welcome!