Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How to get a license in MI?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ihaveathumb, Nov 5, 2008.

1. #1 ihaveathumb, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
    Now that Medical Marijuana has been passed in MI, I am sure there are going to be a lot of people wondering how they will be able to get a license. I myself would like to know, and I think one thread about this would help keep this forum from getting cluttered. So here is the question that many people will be asking:

I know I want to know this, and I am sure many do. So could someone please help us out?

[Edit] Here is the initiative that passed:
    Code:
    http://stoparrestingpatients.org/initiative

2. I don't agree with abuse of medical marijuana programs. As hard as people have been fighting for this, the last thing we need is people saying they are perfectly healthy yet want to lie to obtain an MMJ license. It's there for people who need it. If we get enough states to follow the same path it can mean many great things, but abusing the current system will do nothing but slow the process down.

3. From what I've read, the law in Michigan isn't near as open as California. You won't be able to make up fake reasons to get it here. You need a doctor to say you have a debilitating disease and you need the marijuana.

4. qft :bongin:

5. "How can I smoke and grow with fear or prosecution?"-
    That should have been your question!

And the answer is-

YOU NEED TO BECOME AN ACTIVIST! :hello:

Get off the couch and start educating people!
    Just because MMJ got in, doesn't mean the fight is over! That was just another battle in the War against Prohibition! The war is far from won!

Granny :wave:

6. AGREED! Everyone in MI who wants to make this a law, and a good law, needs to get out and go gain respect for PROP 1. The more people who help, the faster this prop. will be what it should.

7. Im really curious as to how this is going to be handled myself. I smoke recreationally but also for migraines, back spasms, and social anxiety (which i already have a prescription for along with adhd). It sounds like in order to get past the hard part, which is getting the bill passed initially, they made it sound like only people with severly debilitating disease will be eligible, and if this is the first step in decriminalization or outright legalization in michigan then Im fine with it. It just sucks because ive only been able to toss low grade crap in my vape for the past 6 months or so because my main source got busted, so I'd love to grow my own legally. So heres hoping proposal 1 passing will just open the door to bigger and better things.

8. I'm interested in this also, I have always had really bad anxiety so I'm curious if I'll be able to get my card.

9. I believe the new law states certain diseases that are eligible.

It certainly won't be available as an alternative treatment for anxiety, etc; the law is much less lenient than in CA.

10. Yea I was worried about that since so many people with nothing wrong use the conditions I actually have to get cards (had to do 4 months of physical therapy because of my back spasms and I've had migraines since 8 years old). Well, its a step in the right direction so I guess I can wait a bit longer if need be.

11. Would migraines fit under this category? I have had them as long as I can remember and get them very often (1-3 times/week). I have been on so many meds for this and none of them seem to work, of course except MJ.

12. My wifes cousin in Colorado has his card for severe migraines. But he also has a medical history because of it. Often times, in some of the stricter states, you need a decent amount of medical history to prove it's a real problem.

13. This is straight from the amendment made to our states constitution, and I feel like these parts SHOULD answer most of your questions:

"3. Definitions. Sec. 3. As used in this act:

(a) “Debilitating medical condition” means 1 or more of the following:

(1) Cancer, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus, acquired immune deficiency syndrome, hepatitis C, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Crohn's disease, agitation of Alzheimer's disease, nail patella, or the treatment of these conditions.

(2) A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces 1 or more of the following: cachexia or wasting syndrome; severe and chronic pain; severe nausea; seizures, including but not limited to those characteristic of epilepsy; or severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those characteristic of multiple sclerosis.

(3) Any other medical condition or its treatment approved by the department, as provided for in section 5(a)."

"5. Department to Promulgate Rules.

Sec. 5. (a) Not later than 120 days after the effective date of this act, the department shall promulgate rules pursuant to the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328, that govern the manner in which the department shall consider the addition of medical conditions or treatments to the list of debilitating medical conditions set forth in section 3(a) of this act. In promulgating rules, the department shall allow for petition by the public to include additional medical conditions and treatments. In considering such petitions, the department shall include public notice of, and an opportunity to comment in a public hearing upon, such petitions. The department shall, after hearing, approve or deny such petitions within 180 days of the submission of the petition. The approval or denial of such a petition shall be considered a final department action, subject to judicial review pursuant to the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328. Jurisdiction and venue for judicial review are vested in the circuit court for the county of Ingham."

Long story short, it will take the state of Michigan quite a bit of time to get to the point of California. :) But we took our first step!

14. Good to see that in there. The only other thing that works for my back spasms are those big horse pill muscle relaxers.

15. you gotta be almost half dead to get it.

the prop fuckin sucks IMO, but is a step closer to a better prop:D

16. #16 buddy5150, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
    so its only a matter of time!

a little history on the first "pot" law

America's first marijuana law was enacted at Jamestown Colony, Virginia in 1619. It was a law "ordering" all farmers to grow Indian hempseed. There were several other "must grow" laws over the next 200 years (you could be jailed for not growing hemp during times of shortage in Virginia between 1763 and 1767), and during most of that time, hemp was legal tender (you could even pay your taxes with hemp -- try that today!) Hemp was such a critical crop for a number of purposes (including essential war requirements - rope, etc.) that the government went out of its way to encourage growth.

to read more... http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/stories/2003/12/22/whyIsMarijuanaIllegal.html

17. It doesn't really seem much different than the other states. If you even have chronic pain you may be eligible, and that can be a very broad range of things.

18. Really it is just a step closer for our state to see how great of a medicine this stuff is!

It's only a matter of time until things become good for everyone, but just enjoy the journey!

19. I'm sure in time they will make an official website with all diseases/disabilities that qualify you, which I'm sure was the one posted above somewhere.

Also, I really think everyone's digging for something wrong with them just to get a card lol. Just be patient, and eventually the law will loosen it's grips and finally see the light concerning MMJ.

It's not like you don't already toke,
    so light one.

20. Thats why I never mention I also smoke medically, because it always seems to go to a place like that first. I would definitely like to legally grow my own stuff instead of smoking bullshit(ugh) like ive been forced to do for the past 6+ months. Im still gonna wait for a while and see how this all plays out before I even think about applying for a card though. I really just dont want to see an influx of crappy made up reasons that may discourge this from going any further.